How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-05-2004
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxxxstefaniexxxxx@May 18th, 2004 - 3:43 am
Amanda Bynes layers two tank tops nicely...
This is better, it's more subtle.

18-05-2004
V.I.P.

yes!!! I love it.

It adds such an intretsing dimension and expressive feeling to clothing.

flaunt the imperfection..

stefanie...i don't think that wearing something underneath a see through garment falls into the same category as this trend...

while it is true that it is technically layered...a bikini under a mesh top is hardly a new trend and doesn't really belong with the looks that high heels posted...imho..

and underwear-(g string or whatever) under pants... is certainly not a trend my dear...most people wear underwear on a daily basis...it's not exactly a fashion statement...

18-05-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by highheels@May 18th, 2004 - 10:12 am
And for those who don't like the pics please post what you do like.
I agree--so many of you say that you like the trend, and I would like to see your takes on it! I bet you guys will come up with some cool pictures. How would you weave this kind of look into your own wardrobe?

19-05-2004
scenester

I think the layered look looks best when the clothes are abit loose.. like this:

19-05-2004
Fierce Flava

yeah like subtle but interesting layers...

right now I'm layering a tuqoise tank with a loose kinda falling off my shoulder white tee with turqoise writing...and 2 belts which I guess is layering somewhat over a skirt..

19-05-2004
backstage pass

It depends on the colors.

19-05-2004
paint it black

I love this look
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bojana_elleus01.jpg (34.2 KB, 6 views)

19-05-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by As You Like It@May 17th, 2004 - 9:52 pm
Girls in the midwest have been doing this for ages! Ever since the spaghetti-strap tank tops came into fashion (and the slip dresses) I have seen girls wearing a skinny tee or a sleeveless top under a strappy, skimpy tank-top. That way you can still wear your bra, and if you have back-acne (like I do) you don't have to expose it to the world.

I am quite fond of this look myself, because I have some excellent tops that are too skimpy for work, but can be paired up with other stuff to be more modest and more funky at the same time. I can wear a long, but strappy tank top under a cropped, long-sleeved top, thereby covering my stomach and chest, yet showing layers of interesting fabric. Or I can wear a short-sleeved, skinny tee under a sundress that would otherwise be too revealing for work. Then it is more like a pinafore dress and rather Loli-Chan, especially with my big, black boots and my hair in french-braided pig-tails.

It is fun, too, to combine colors you wouldn't otherwise think of, like orange and electric blue, or yellow and purple. Plain color, bright tanks and tees can be a good and cheap way to express your love of color and you can pull it together with outlandish accessories. I have this great rainbow-striped belt that had been my mom's in the 1980s that I use this way, and lots of wild earrings from my junior-high years.

Layering is definitely a great wardrobe extender and is incomparable for versatility.
I don't understand what you say about your bra?

19-05-2004
Proponent of Plaid

What I meant was that you can wear your bra without the straps showing. With spaghetti strap tank tops, your brastraps show, which I think looks kind of tacky. Some of us can get away without wearing a bra, though we might not want our nipples to show up if the air-conditioning is too cold or something.

Basically, I was sayin, if you want to wear a tank-top, but want to still wear your bra, and not have it show, you can get more use out of your tank-top if you use it as a layer with something else that will cover your shoulders.

front row

Softgrey, I never said wearing a g-string or underwear was a trend!
I was only having a bit of a giggle that Brits was showing, and that it was purposely done.

I never said that any of them were new trends.

Also, why is it any different to be layering mesh as opposed to any other material? It is still considered layering. I was merely trying to show a few different type of ways people layer things...

It was not my intention to be critiqued for things I have not implied.

19-05-2004
tfs star

sorry hun...but this trends' been done to death but annoying tweens at my school...the whole retro 80's thing...it's horrible some of them...but i did lov this trend before...

19-05-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally posted by Amelié@May 19th, 2004 - 6:23 am
sorry hun...but this trends' been done to death but annoying tweens at my school...the whole retro 80's thing...it's horrible some of them...but i did lov this trend before...
So why not do it yourself,and do it better? With a little more savvy about the way clothes work and a few great pieces, it should not be difficult to look WAY better than a load of junior-high kids who are trying to approximate their moms' highschool wardrobes.

front row

I don't layer things like tanks and shirts, I just can't seem to pull it off right (I am short and any additional bulk just doesn't look good) though I have seen layers done well. My type of layering usually is a vintage victorian sheer lace blouse over a lace tank. Or an off shouder top with a contrasting color wife beater under. Or maybe that plunging front top with a little lace tank underneath to give the idea of undergarments.

21-05-2004
windowshopping

I love the layered look but I don't like the layerd looks you posted in the beginning
These are more my taste:

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, layering