How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

Wow...honoured that I got a mention...thanks softie!
Um...I don't really have a science behind it. My usual reasons for my excessive layering is that I want to double up my summer wardrobe and adapt it for colder weather. Or that something by itself looks too simple for me (don't ask me why I have to always complicate things!)
I think fabric contrast is great when layering, like silks and satins with cotton jersey or wool. Heavier fabrics like cottons go better under the lighter fabrics. This works great for dresses (converting skimpy/dressy dresses into daywear and winterwear). Though I also love chunky knits vests over thin cotton.
Layering also plays on proportions. The short over the long works better i.e. a shrunken camisole over a long wifebeater. Items that are the same length layered over and over again tends to make it bulky and dishevelled. That's not a strict rule...I personally just like contrasts when layering. I don't think I'd do it otherwise

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/

05-10-2005
fashion elite

Im so glad you asked all this soft, I seriously am really clueless on how to do this...

In Bloom

I simply try to put on as many clothes as possible. I'm always freezing.

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

Great topic Soft! You're good at that :p Things I do

- stick to lightweight/thin materials with the possible exception of the outer layer. Materials I find that work well layered and still allow you to breathe are modals & silks.

- under layers are usually simple shapes like an oxford shirt, tank, s/s or l/s T etc. I also stick to silk, poly or modal usually for an under layer... something "slick". I find cotton tends to stick to other layers creating that frumpled mess you referred to when you move (unless the upper layer is one of the aforementioned materials). Cotton on cotton only seems to work if the shapes closely mimic each other to begin with so they move together

- leave voluminous layers for the top. Squashing them doesn't work and is uncomfortable imo

- armholes is a good point :p I've tried to layer batwings under stuff and it just doesn't work Too voluminous as above! I guess I generally have the smallest armhole on the bottom...

- If there's any sort of detailing on the under layer (crossovers, embroidery, eyelet), I put a more substantial/heavy layer on top to smooth it out so to speak

I also like the idea of layering different necklines... i.e. a scoopneck over a crewneck to give some dimension and depth. I also love puffed sleeves poking out from underneath a sleeveless shell...

Oh the possibilities... endless

Hope this has helped

05-10-2005
slightly dizzy

I think you covered everything practical here, and I couldn't agree more! Especially the part about avoiding friction, all too true.

05-10-2005
tea time

mine always goes thicker over thinner...shorter over longer...bigger over smaller

so that your more comfortable and it works better!

and in the winter when you feel its too cold to wear those strappy tops you love stick a plain tee underneath or a plain turtle neck

http://cedricandfanny.blogspot.com/
05-10-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Saw one or two women in Paris wearing scoopneck tanks over racerback tanks this summer (black on grey).

elementary.

evrythn i could think of has been said . . !
maybe smthn will come to be in a bit . . .

flaunt the imperfection

great...
what about colours and prints...
any hints there about what works well together?...
interesting or unusual combinations?...

thanks everyone...

05-10-2005
tea time

i usually go for everything plain in either the same colour, contrasting colours, or colours that compliment.

if i go for prints i stick with a plain item and a print item! i never do loads of prints because i suck at putting them together

05-10-2005
flaunt the imperfection

when you say 'plain'...you mean a solid colour right?...

05-10-2005
tea time

yeah

05-10-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Layering, one of THE best concepts.

The reason I layer is to slim an outfit out. I'm not tall and thin, but rather normal in height and ... fairly thin overall. But it adds length to me. When I layer, I use cheap tops from Old Navy... they had FANTASTIC ones this past season that didn't compare to anybody else's (who knew)... they were soft cotton, and sheer...form fitting and long. I wore them under everything this summer, and will continue to do so deep into Autumn.

05-10-2005
V.I.P.

I'm not so strict with prints/patterns and colours. I like contrasting colours and patterned over plain. Though light and dark shades of one colour seem to work very nicely together. I love clashing patterns, stripes with florals are my fave coz stripes are a plain enough pattern to go with most things. Two different kinds of geometrics in similar colours also works well together. I have colour combos that I love one week, but change the next. Atm, I love grey and navy, green and ombre, autumnal shades in layers.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
05-10-2005
utterly superfluous

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
I'm not so strict with prints/patterns and colours. I like contrasting colours and patterned over plain. Though light and dark shades of one colour seem to work very nicely together. I love clashing patterns, stripes with florals are my fave coz stripes are a plain enough pattern to go with most things. Two different kinds of geometrics in similar colours also works well together. I have colour combos that I love one week, but change the next. Atm, I love grey and navy, green and ombre, autumnal shades in layers.
That's too funny, I'm excatly the same way. When I'm just in the mood to be comfortable, I'll always layer two or three shirts that are normally contrasting in colors. The thing I look for in a good layering item is somewhat sheer, soft, and probably something that's not going to be too tight over another item, but enough so that I don't look lumpy!

My favorite combination as of late has been olive greens on top of bright lime greens. I like doing things that are tone on tone. Or, something even totally unexpected like tangerine and lavender. For guys its a little harder to do, but I think I've built an above average collection of layering tees for this exact occassion. Layering to add color for me, is a great way to make sure that my jeans get noticed, but I still look good for being on campus.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, layering