How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2011
fashion insider

Oh gosh, I can't stand clones... (sounds weird )
No but seriously I must have more then 20 girls on my facebook that all dress a like and do photoshoots because they think they are good looking and trendy. It's beyond annoying.

I too admire people that do their thing and go against trends, and I'm envious of those who have found their style. I don't think I have found mine completely. I think it's a matter of time, everybody goes through it...
But since I don't have the money or the time to shop for clothes, and since I never find what I'm looking for, I usually go through old stuff at home, or make it. (I'm known for my eccentric mixing)
And that's an other thing, at the mall, all the stores are big chains that pretty much copy or rip off the big trends, so it's pretty much impossible to buy anything other than that. >.<

25-04-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Stumbled upon this old 2009 Vogue Picture, too good not to post. Such individuals those fashion industry insiders!

Quote:
The Fine Line: Coincidence or the Confirmation of a Summer Must-Have?

We know we’re on to something when not one, not two, not three, but four Vogue staffers arrive at work wearing a similar look. Enter the Striped Minidress. Contributing Editor Lauren Santo Domingo, Assistant to the Editor in Chief Cynthia Smith, and Associate Fashion Editors Jessica Sailer and Devon Schuster (in matching ones by Minnie Mortimer) exuded summer ease with their breezy black-and-whites yesterday.
—Jane Herman
From left: Lauren Santo Domingo, Devon Schuster, Jessica Sailer, and Cynthia Smith at work in summer stripes.

source: style.com/vogue

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 27-04-2011 at 01:12 PM.
27-04-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

what happened to the pic?!?...

27-04-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Should be showing up now

27-04-2011
rising star

Always when I see something like this "Funny Face" comes to my mind: "Think pink!"

27-04-2011
rising star

Hahah love that 3 out of 4 of them are wearing the same type of sandal too.

doldrums

I hope it was done on purpose

05-05-2011
unspecified

What nobody could explain to me was: If working as a group results more difficult as long as the number of people grow (because it multiplies viewpoints and is harder to agree on something), how come 80% of the WORLD population dress the same!??? suit for the office, little black dresses, jeans, how can this happen?

http://pilchero.wordpress.com/ - Very Personal Style
06-05-2011
rising star

-with suits it's often a forced dress code at work
-jeans I define as casual look, which is more or less "form follows function", material is sufficient to withstand certain stress and is cheaply replaced

Why do people dress the same?
Humans are social animals which apply certain rituals to distinguish their group/tribe from others, thereby increasing the social bonding inside the group.

And I see cloth as one of the ways to do it (religion and and even a habit like smoking are other examples ). Hence subcultures frequently employ their own dress code.
When it comes to western civilisation in general, nearly all people can access the media and "see" what is trend atm and so they adapt; like youíre supposed to, if you want to be part of the group.

06-05-2011
unspecified

yes, I meant at a personal level. Most people dress the same out of fear.
I think the dress code isn't forced or written- moreover, formal doesn't mean ONLY suits, and informal doesn't mean ONLY jeans.
and the what you say about denim was true, but now a pair of jeans isn't cheap anymore (not just big brands), and suddenly, it seems people started breaking their trousers or skirts?
I realise the jean is the son of the mass media, but I'd like to know if people who only wear jeans are aware that there is a desicion in choosing what you wear, and that their's is made for them, whilst comunicating they are a part of the crowd.

07-05-2011
rising star

The people I notice wearing the same types of clothing are generally teenage girls. I guess wanting to fit in goes hand in hand with young girls who are still becoming comfortable with themselves. A lot of the time I notice that people don't care so much about fashion per se, as much as looking nice. Most people don't have their own distinct style and wear whatever is currently in stores. They feel good wearing those clothes, and maybe part of that is subconsciously because they're fitting in, so they probably don't mind that everyone else is wearing the same thing too. Everyone else is wearing it, so it MUST be hot. I also think it has something to do with clone outfits being easily accessible to people who like shopping and getting dressed up, but aren't interested in the fashion world.

Of course the Lookbook generation is another case: It seems like it's just a place to post pictures of yourself trying to pretend you're in an editorial (same theme every picture, just a new person). People just like to feel special by being accepted. Taking a risk by dressing too differently might result in failure and rejection on the internet.

07-05-2011
Fashion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit Lucille View Post
I think the dress code isn't forced or written- moreover, formal doesn't mean ONLY suits, and informal doesn't mean ONLY jeans.
In an environment of formality and business there is no room for fashion, or self expression through clothes. You are supposed to do your job, sell a lot of stuff, close a lot of deals and go home. Unless you are in a creative business like design or pr, of course.

08-05-2011
fashion elite

^exactly, and besides that you have to look professional and so to say "look the part" you are playing. I work in a more creative industry, but out of all my friends I am the only one. All the others are quite happy to have a "uniform" of the suit to take them to work everyday-they know they won't have to spend much time trying to put an outfit together and it will be looking professional. I have the chance to be creative with what I wear however some days I can't be bothered! Its not about fitting in but I do wish sometimes it would be easier to throw on a suit/ a LBD and go. I do tend to throw on the little black dress or tea dress on in those times when I cannot be fussed

unspecified

If what you wear doesn't get in the way of your work, I don't understand why wearing something other than what's expected could be such a harmful thought. I expect people that work to BE efficient, not to look professional. Of course, this is how the society built these rules...
But even following dress codes cannot be that contrived. You can look polished and sharp in a lot of different clothes, and not necessarily fall into the clone cathegory. The reason behind thinking what you will wear, and feeling it is overwhelming, is driven by the fear of not fitting in (being in a dress code, or other's ideals and projections, etc.)

09-05-2011
Fashion Designer

Unfortunately not everybody thinks like you, and most bosses particularly. Most people in the office-type environment follows rules for everything, dressing the part is just one more of them.

I don't necessarily agree with this but I understand how it works. In mainstream society there are rules for everything and most people are not in a position to break them just because they feel like it. If somebody needs the job, they'll suit up and shut up if they don't like their "unfiorm" because it is the way it works.

And even though I understand it's not they way you dress that says how capable you are of doing your job I'll sure take a second thought if I were on a bank and some guy dressed in shorts and flipflops is doing my paperwork. Or if a doctor is wearing harem pants and a grill while explaining to me why I should get a colonic.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attack, clones, copying, fashion, sheep