How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2012
scenester

This is exactly what I hate about fashion blogs- the "must-have" pieces that are seen absolutely everywhere. It's just a lack of imagination- the same few items endlessly recycled and paired together. Fast fashion and the availability of the same clothes on high streets across the world make the same uniform look open to everyone, everywhere. I just don't see why so many people feel the need to document their fairly unoriginal style. I used to quite like fashion blogs, but I'm finding it more and more difficult to find ones that actually have their own viewpoint.

29-12-2012
front row

ye of little receipts...

29-12-2012
V.I.P.

I guess you are in one of those pictures kimberwyn ?

front row

^nope, sorry

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

I don't think it's that hard to style it better than those 15 girls, some of them have a clue about proportions, which is probably the hardest part, but they actually mess it up in what's possibly the easiest part: making it individual. And that stems from the fact that they dressed up with a camera in mind, knowing it will be photographed and it has to look okay and has to produce enough comments/clicks and be competitive and stand out in a sea of fashion blogs, so they add maybe a pair of sought-after boots to get even more people talking, maybe they need a "statement" necklace too, a "statement" sweater, "statement" bag, maybe some loafers, maybe a clutch instead of a bag. The result is magazine predator and a far echo from the personal taste that hopefully drove them to acquire the skirt in the first place.. which basically sums up the pros and cons of the blogger phenomenon (ordinary girls into fashion [pro] + ordinary girls into fashion that operate reality-show style [con]).

front row

Some do, some don't. There's a pretty wide range of options there, from simple to over the top, that I'd really like to see someone here put their money where there mouth is and show us how it's styled "correctly", which is a funny term to use when touting about individuality in the same breath...especially when we're talking about an ugly trendy skirt, mass produced for not one but TWO of the most recognizably trendy chain stores that are known for fast disposable fashion (Zara & Forever 21 lmao).

30-12-2012
flaunt the imperfection

i actually love that skirt......

i'd wear it with an oversized, off the shoulder grey sweatshirt and super high pointy patent louboutins...
the casual sweatshirt takes away from the overt slutty-ness of the rest of the look...
the flash of red from the shoes keeps it elegant...

maybe you could get away with the right necklace but it would have to be some kind of tom binns or fallon thing-a-ma-jig...
if it's not perfect, leave it off...

a good silver bracelet and one big silver ring...

done...

see- that wasn't so hard...

Last edited by softgrey; 30-12-2012 at 06:37 PM.
30-12-2012
front row

^ I hope that wasn't hard because there's nothing original or unique about the look you described. Those sweaters you've mentioned have been overtly trendy for at least 5 years and every fashion blogger is wearing pointy patent red heels -- well I guess you get a point for not choosing the Valentinos lol. Not to say there's anything wrong with your outfit, but it's typical F21 mannequin an fashion blogger fare.

And when it comes to proportion, some of the bloggers posted wearing button downs did it better.

Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?

30-12-2012
V.I.P.

^ doubt the outfit of anyone that's provoked such defensiveness will make the cut. Or will it?

We're a forum, criticism is bound to come up, especially towards a phenomenon that's founded itself in self-adulation. Trying to reduce opinions to "let me see you try it" "criticise only if you have a better outfit in mind" is hopefully not the kind of oversimplistic game someone that wants a mentally stimulating discussion on the effects of the blogger phenomenon on personal style wishes for..

scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberwyn View Post
^ I hope that wasn't hard because there's nothing original or unique about the look you described. Those sweaters you've mentioned have been overtly trendy for at least 5 years and every fashion blogger is wearing pointy patent red heels -- well I guess you get a point for not choosing the Valentinos lol. Not to say there's anything wrong with your outfit, but it's typical F21 mannequin an fashion blogger fare.

And when it comes to proportion, some of the bloggers posted wearing button downs did it better.

Anyone else wanna take a crack at it?
Just curious, how would you style the skirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I don't think it's that hard to style it better than those 15 girls, some of them have a clue about proportions, which is probably the hardest part, but they actually mess it up in what's possibly the easiest part: making it individual. And that stems from the fact that they dressed up with a camera in mind, knowing it will be photographed and it has to look okay and has to produce enough comments/clicks and be competitive and stand out in a sea of fashion blogs, so they add maybe a pair of sought-after boots to get even more people talking, maybe they need a "statement" necklace too, a "statement" sweater, "statement" bag, maybe some loafers, maybe a clutch instead of a bag. The result is magazine predator and a far echo from the personal taste that hopefully drove them to acquire the skirt in the first place.. which basically sums up the pros and cons of the blogger phenomenon (ordinary girls into fashion [pro] + ordinary girls into fashion that operate reality-show style [con]).
Very well said this is the very reason I've stopped visiting fashion blogs, and more of "personal" ones when the site isn't so focussed about the person's clothing.

Last edited by pinkpol15h; 30-12-2012 at 10:37 PM.
31-12-2012
flaunt the imperfection

i find this entertaining!...
:p

kimberwynn- you read my post wrong
i never said red patent- i meant black...the red comes from the sole of the shoe (subtlety baby)
and it's not a sweater- but a sweatshirt---grey and made of fleece...
preferably off the shoulder...

clearly you aren't seeing what i see...
*sigh*

no need to reinvent the wheel...

hmmm...i also have a great long yohji sweater that is off the shoulder with a safety pin that would be great with the skirt and little pointy suede booties...with tights

there are really so many options...

it's a good skirt...imo

but i don't think it should ever be worn with anything tucked in...
that is a big no-no...! and the prob with 1/2 the looks...

Last edited by softgrey; 31-12-2012 at 03:43 PM.
31-12-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
All of my thoughts on this topic exactly. The blogger phenomenon has really increased the number of people carrying clutches and wearing stilettos in the afternoon. If I saw someone like that ten years ago, I would have envied their eccentric lifestyle, but all that's changed :p

flaunt the imperfection

does anyone else think it's odd that not one of them tried it with short motor cycle boots?...

the platforms are just

31-12-2012
front row

So first everybody is complaining about people looking like clones and then the same people complain about the girls wearing a skirt how they like instead of "the right way"?

02-01-2013
front row

Lmao no mullet proof you said yourself that it wouldn't be hard to style it better so it makes no sense to backtrack now and call that simplified thinking simply because you were asked to back up your claim. Freedom to criticize doesn't save you from criticism yourself ...such a right-winged way of thinking!

Msmorning -- BINGO! Thank you! You seem to be the only one who gets it here. It's like everyone else is completely brain dead o_O

Soft grey -- the color if the shoe is far from what made your styling ideas derivative -- I've seen every fashion blogger with similar shoes in red, Black and Tan. And I knew exactly what type of sweater you were referring to...sweatshirts are still pullover sweaters FYI. I see exactly what you see...I've just seen it before that's all . I find this amusing too especially the hypocrisy in this thread.

Pinkpolish - I wouldn't have touched the skirt tbh, it's ugly, but my first instincts upon seeing it were a button down or an off the shoulder sweater...because both are predictable.
Posted via Mobile Device

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attack, clones, copying, fashion, sheep