How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2009
Meg
inspired contemplation

wow, we've got a lot of great threads going on in PS at the moment! For me effortless=relaxed. I would only label someone as "try-hard" if it was clear that they didn't feel comfortable in their clothes, or they were wearing an abundance of trends in a poor way. This would suggest that they were dressing for others, and thus trying too hard.

I disagree with the thought that fashionable and stylish are mutually exclusive. I think you can easily combine both. I also disagree with the thought that looking at celebs is a bad idea. Because I think the important thing to take away from someone's style who you really like (whether it's Kate Moss, MK Olsen, or a random person) which is the proportion and idea behind what they are wearing. ie. Gladiator shoes with a short skirt and a top. This doesn't mean someone has to run out and buy the exact items, but you can get the notion of what you like about that outfit, and replicate it.

I think part of buying things and then keeping them in boxes is just part of being young.there are things you may love but not be confident enough to wear just yet. If there is an item I really like but is perhaps a bit more adventurous than my normal day to day routine, I try to think up of at least several ways I could wear that item. If a lot of the items I would need to wear that item the way I want aren't in my closet, I'll usually forgo it.

Part of being "effortless" I think also comes with loving fashion. When you are inspired by an idea, an item in your closet, a new pair of shoes, whatever you are always thinking about ways of putting something together, and different combinations and I think that makes dressing quicker, easier and more likely to make you happy.

16-04-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfairy View Post
I always secretly giggle at people who look amazing and claim they just threw whatever clothes that they had in reach on,when really they've probably been planning all aspects of the outfit for weeks
To me that's potentially true ... I think the important thing is the effort that goes into what you buy. I'm not going to claim that I look amazing, but I do put outfits together quickly, and I often do wear what's within reach. (I have hooks on my bathroom & bedroom doors, and often I'll wear what's on top.)

16-04-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Part of being "effortless" I think also comes with loving fashion. When you are inspired by an idea, an item in your closet, a new pair of shoes, whatever you are always thinking about ways of putting something together, and different combinations and I think that makes dressing quicker, easier and more likely to make you happy.
Presenting yourself as happy & confident... that would indeed make it all seem "effortless" ... no matter what you're wearing.

17-04-2009
front row

I think for day to day style, bringing a certain level of functionality to your fashion choices makes it seem more effortless. By that I mean comfort and ease of wear -- I know girls that come to school dressed daily in tube-tight synthetic clothing and teetering high heels, or don't wear coat in the depths of winter, sacrificing style for comfort. There's just something about it that seems off -- they're trying too hard, as opposed to adapting their own personal style around their daily needs and the weather.

Power to the 99%

^ I know what you mean ... I always think that if I go to the zoo & see someone all tricked out in hot pants and wood platforms. I'm like, where did you think you were going

18-04-2009
trendsetter

I also agree with Timber's idea of functionality in terms of effortless dressing, and I really think this is where finding inspiration from celebrities is...at fault, for lack of a better word. You see candids of some celebs all decked out, and forget that these people, more than most, have much room for breaking sartorial practicalities. For example, they can wear teetering high heels and no coats in the dead of winter because most likely they're being chaffeured in heated towncars or limos everywhere.

Or Erin Wasson can show up to an event in hot pants and her bra visible through her shirt sleeves, but does that really stand in a university setting, where I've seen the looK? Even lots of movies and shows like Gossip Girl feature outfits that are fantastical. I'm all for fantasy and aspiration, but if you don't tailor that to your own lifestyle, then it's far from effortless.

18-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Agree ... I see a lot of cluelessness in fashion magazines too, where they're saying 'Oh yes you can wear this to work or on a job interview.' Uh, not in my industry ... If you yourself are in the real world, I'm not sure it pays to take advice from or emulate those who aren't

19-04-2009
Looking Up

I think some people are just born more fashionable than others, so for those people being fashionable requires less effort. But there are of course other factors that affect how "effortless" your fashion sense is, like money, time and so on.

Last edited by Squizree; 19-04-2009 at 05:27 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
effortless, fashionable