How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

Erm, what goes on here? Am I the only person who is reading two seperate threads rolled into one... I get pretty sick of fashion but only because I can't afford to wear the clothes I'd like to wear.

30-12-2004
front row

After working in fashion for so long - my answer is YES!

Course I still love it, I wouldn't be doing it as a job, but now I work from home and I'm older and care less what people think, my day-to-day attire is pretty bleurgh!
Most weekdays, I don't go further than the post office or the supermarket, so I don't see the point in wearing make up or fancy clothes. Its liberating to not have to think about it.

I save the cool stuff for trade shows, business trips, meetings out and holidays - that's when I make an effort.

30-12-2004
V.I.P.

i definitely do.

30-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
I get pretty sick of fashion but only because I can't afford to wear the clothes I'd like to wear.
same here

30-12-2004
living in the sprawl

I agree about the affording thing.. I get sick of it because it seems so overwhelming to revamp my wardrobe minus the fact that I can't afford to get new things very often at all.. Going shopping like once every three months is amazing for me.. And even then I may just get one outfit.. Unless I can find great deals...

I definately go through phases of not giving a flying flip...

30-12-2004
V.I.P.

There are brief times when I feel like I'm sick of it.

30-12-2004
ingenue

I go through that a lot... especially when I'm at uni and I can't be bothered due to lack of resources and lack of practicality. I'll get into the rut of jeans and sweaters and trainers every single day. not bad and not really tatty, just boring.

I have a scrapbook/lookbook that I made that has outfits I've cut from fashion mags, etc, that I go through whenever I'm feeling wanting for inspiration. at least it helps get my creativity going again.

30-12-2004
rising star

Sometimes when I loose energy towards fashion or just get overwhelmed by it, I force myself into really plain minimalistic outfits. It's kind of comparable to cleaning your slate- very refreshing. After a few days i'm ready to feel creative again. All the same it's just a thought, works quite well for me!

11-01-2006
living in the sprawl

i've been wearing nothing but sweatshirts and really BLAH stuff lately.

its the whole being POOR thing getting to me again!

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
12-01-2006
V.I.P.

my style is such a struggle. believe me, i have never woken up and said, 'i feel like wearing sweatpants today!". as a matter of fact, when i see people dressed in their pajamas in publis places i want to turn them around, send them back home , and make them try better.

no, every day i wake up and say, "i wish i could wear neatly pressed Balenciaga!" it bothers me that i can't afford or even find respectable clothing. well, at least i take the time to press my pants (actually wear pants, not jeans all the time) and hang my sweaters.

even twenty years ago, people may not have been able to see what went down the paris runways, but they aspired to be neat.

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."

Last edited by Pastry; 12-01-2006 at 01:02 AM.
12-01-2006
V.I.P.

when I get tired of fashion, I just drift into a "uniform" routine- sweater, jeans, and ankleboots, or buttondown, jeans and low sandals, as the case may be - but I've such a habit of doing my hair and makeup, I can't not do it.

I find that if I go in fashion "autopilot" long enough, I begin to have enough distance to start fasion again with renewed interset.

what you ought to do is figure out some nice uniforms for yourself, that look good, are always appropriate, and you dont have to think about. Then you'll look good until you no longer feel fashion overload, and have renewed interest.

Last edited by stilettogirl84; 12-01-2006 at 07:29 AM.
12-01-2006
V.I.P.

I can't relate at all! I actually look forward to a new day when I can put a new outfit together. I buy so much that I never get to wear, I have to grab every chance I get to put on a new outfit.
I may get tired of the ever changing trends and maybe the fickle-ness of fashion but then realise that I can make the best of what I have and adapt even if I am low on funds.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
12-01-2006
trendsetter

Hmmm are you feeling in a rut in your daily life as well? Maybe if you go to places where you'll be amidst stylish people, you will feel forced and inspired? Certain galleries, boutiques, certain clubs or cafes maybe...

Accessories always help. Even stringing a new necklace with fun beads is inspiring.

When I'm feeling like that, sometimes even spending 5 dollars on a cheap tank in a crazy color for layering or funky tights or thrifting for a 3-dollar treasure really helps.

Good luck!

Last edited by Melisande; 12-01-2006 at 09:24 PM.
12-01-2006
V.I.P.

not yet..

backstage pass

right now I am, because last years trends are totally being recycled.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bleh, fashion, sick