How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-04-2007
fashion icon

Bodysuits & catsuits
Not sure what everybody else calls them but, that's what I call them... :p I guess they're sorta like a one-piece bathing suit but not made of bathing suit material. I think it'd look great tucked into shorts, jeans, skirts; it'd create a really nice, stream-lined figure. I've been trying to look for some everywhere for some time now but can never seem to find the perfect one...

I know Lover have some from their Black Rose Army collection that are quite nice... One has sleeves and the other is sleeveless and I think it also comes in black?

loverthelabel

And they've also got a catsuit in their new Altamont collection.

loverthelabel

I like the whole idea of tucking a fitted singlet/tank into my bottoms but sometimes they just don't stay tucked in! A bodysuit would just make it so much easier... I know my mother has a few from back in the day except I don't know where she's put them!

Is anybody else into bodysuits/catsuits? Does anybody know where I can find more?

19-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Bodysuits & Catsuits
And one-pieces & leotards :p I'll pool my resources and be back.

rising star

Wolford and Falke make great ones! <3 their quality is great!
how about american apparel?

front row

At Fornarina, we always get at least one or two different bodysuits. Girls sure do come in surprised to see them, as if they're an anomaly from the 80's. But I think they're pretty girly and cute. I got one with a really scooped out low back and black and white stripes.

I bought a catsuit at a thrift store a few months ago. When our winter got really cold, I would wear it under my clothes to keep me a little more warm. That came in very handy.But I also wore it under some dresses and tunics just to see how it looked. I got lots of good reactions from it. Especially since it's made out of this super shiny spandex.

V.I.P.

Quote:
All Hail: The Bodysuit
Ready your anatomy for the latest from Valentino and Wolford

By MONICA CORCORAN

Who doesn't have a bodysuit story? The mere glimpse of those evil crotch snaps is Proustian for me and brings back memories past of nearly wetting myself after ballet class. Even today, bullying my way into a bodysuit can be exhausting. Nevertheless, it's worth the tussle. Donna Karan--who is blessedly curvy--knew that a touch of lycra or spandex goes a long way when she revolutionized the bodysuit back in the 1980s.

The right bodysuit can erase certain dimples and smooth bulges. Plus, no other top can provide such a seamless silhouette. Come July, Wolford (maker of the nonpareil hosiery) and Valentino will debut a collection of five bodysuits in colors ranging from the designer's signature crimson to black and ivory. The collaboration will last for two seasons, which means that we can expect varied looks, including accents like ruffles and pleats. The fact that Wolford also has licensing agreements with other designers like Zac Posen and Kenzo is exciting too. Just imagine the fun you could have with a little black dress and a pair of Missoni tights.

In the meantime, check out this adorable cotton and spandex scoop neck bodysuit from American Apparel ($28; Americanapparel.net) and a few shots of bodysuit poster gals. The man, you ask? Oh, that's Keith. I found him at Bodysuit.com, where they sell this mock neck bodysuit with built-in thong for men. Poor Keith.
(variety.com)

They didn't mention that the slogan at Bodysuit.com is Style never felt so good! I wonder what "Keith" would have come up with.

Alaia immediately springs to mind when thinking of bodysuits as everyday wear. In order to work with knits and like fabrics, and keep his silhouette true-to-form (form-fitting), he often used bodysuits as an underlayed, I've noticed. Take this set to mind:

(ebay.com)

It's hard picturing the same effect with a normal sweater, almost giving bodysuits an edge in the versatility stakes...

Also, it's embarrassing to admit that I read past Jeffrey Steingarten's awesome food column, but Vogue profiled VPL designer Victoria Bartlett and extracted this interesting (related) tidbit:

Quote:
"I always love the bodysuits," Bartlett says of the shape she's done over time. "They never sell, but we do them purely for the VPL foundation."
I regretted that they 'never sell', and immediately thought, How much is that bodysuit in the window?

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer~
And one-pieces & leotards :p
And unitards, apparently... :p Thanks for that article; the part about the crotch snaps made me . Besides that, it pretty much reiterates the reason as to why I want them... And yes, it is practically impossible to imagine a normal sweater creating the same effect!

Thanks piep and PerfectPerfect... I'm not sure if they sell a huge variety of items from either of those brands here though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectPerfect
Girls sure do come in surprised to see them
Funny that you should say this! A bit off topic but, I walked into a store early last year to ask if they had any skivvies (or turtleneck/rollneck sweaters) and the SA looked at me in the most bizarre manner, as though I was out of my mind to want to wear it... And now look at what the 'new trend' is down here... Not to say that bodysuits and such are definitely going to be a trend; I see this as a classic item that's probably, to some, more functional than it is aesthetically pleasing... Which is why I am on the look out for some pretty ones. :p

Thanks for the contributions so far.

tfs star

I love the idea of bodysuits...streamlined, no mess, etc.
But the reality is that they often smoosh down breasts and form a tent-like construct between the bust and the waist...not to mention sort of ride up ... Maybe it just depends on the fabric and fit...

I wear them for yoga sometimes, under yogapants and a layered top.

21-04-2007
V.I.P.

would this count?.

MIU MIU F/W 07.08

[style]

I love it in theory, but at the end, I only get this type of memories..
[YOUTUBE]v9TzJAbubDM[/YOUTUBE]

windowshopping

serious help wanted!
hi guys .... basically a ihave a formal function coming up i really want to wear a catsuit... i desperetly need help(in picture ideas and stuff) from you fashionistas...i'd glady appreciate it...

Ler@to

23-04-2007
backstage pass

As someone who's in her early 40s, I remember the Donna Karan bodysuit heyday of the 1980s. Those type of bodysuits work well with my body (my waist is about 12-14 inches smaller than my hips). I don't have to worry about any peek-a-boo in the back.

23-04-2007
V.I.P.

Do you happen to have a picture of what you mean by "catsuit"?

I'm thinking spandex head to toe that was big in the early 90's? Is that what you mean?

Just want to be clear :p

EDIT - like this?
(onstagedancewear.com)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg onstagedancewear.jpg (23.4 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Curious; 23-04-2007 at 02:13 PM.
23-04-2007
V.I.P.

Speak of the devil... merged with 'bodysuit/catsuit' thread

23-04-2007
fashion icon

Mullet, that Miu Miu piece completely throws out my idea of the bodysuit being fitted but, I think it definitely works; I really like it. I guess the Flashdance-y memories will forever be associated with the bodysuit... But I think in the future, we're gonna start to see more of them and in more attractive fabrics (rather than spandex!).

Thanks for merging the thread, Curious.

front row

anyone know where I can find a bodysuit like this:?

ultimate-rihanna.com

28-07-2007
V.I.P.

What was she thinking...?!

Tags
bodysuits, catsuits