How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-01-2005
scenester

i think some people are born with it...the same way some people are born with artistic talent. some people are born with the nature ability to put things together and to see beauty in things...

that being said, some artists are trained. likewise, for some people, an eye for fashion is developed. i would like to think that i am one of these people. i knew nothing about style for the longest time. as a little girl i grew up with no mother, only a father. i was a tom boy for the longest time until i got into highschool where i thought fashion was wearing what all the other girls wore from the gap or j crew. i have actually had to work at developing a sense of fasion. it has taken research and reading and developing an understanding of myself and my body....cultivating style isn't easy, but i think its within every individual's capacity.

25-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

I just think that it's a process you go through..and one nobody can teach. You have to find that yourself.
You have said it so much better than me, I must learn to command English better. your words.

Seductress in Eden

I think to have style... you have to be confortable in your own skin... some have try work on style more than others... but it should seem effortless...

Growing up my mum was heavily in to shopping and fashion... and i find that alot of my style is reflected from her... i even get inspiration from pictures of me as a little girl in my dresses and bows...

There are alot of books on style too... you can learn from people you look up to...

if you need help i can alway give advice xox

Last edited by Missoni~Heiress; 25-01-2005 at 05:21 PM.
25-01-2005
V.I.P.

I dont know..I think you cant buy it nor just born with it. In my opinion, I think it's something related with education, some people have a lot of money but are so horrendously vulgar (paris) and some other grew up in the suburbs or isolated places and have a great sense of style (bjork, kate, etc). i dont know really
*walks out*

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
There are currently innumerable makeover shows on several continents...queer eye...what not to wear...etc...there are even home makeover shows...changing rooms/trading spaces...

practically every women's and men's magazine has a section devoted to developing your personal style...talk shows regularly have entire episodes dedicated to makeovers...

so what do we think?...is any of this realistic?...

is style something that can be bought?...
is style something that can be taught?...
is style something that you are born with?...
is style something that develops over time?...

is it NATURE or NURTURE?...BORN or BRED?...

what do you think?...
please share your thoughts...
I have always been torn with questions like this. Because style is such a personal thing, and it is really no one elses right to make a generalization on whether or not you have style, it is difficult to say. There is no doubt that some people are BORN with style, and there are people who will never get it, but I do think that there is an inbetween. You can not learn style really, but you can grow and change and develop it. You can probably be trained to dress with style far better than you can be trained to embody style. As far as having an eye, I think that is something that is much harder to learn, and may really be paired to different workings of the brain, and how one processes what they see.

windowshopping

Everybody is born with an individual sense of style or appeal.
Developed or not is, in my humble opinion, is not the important issue as long as the individual is able to transmit confort and well being .an individual such as Marylin Manson for example can be so appealing to some and grotesque for others but no one can deny His style...

25-01-2005
front row

I think everyone is born with some sense of style but I think your freinds and influences add to it. Its why some people when they get rich think, im gonna go buy a gucci suit, but they hav eno idea how to wear it or if they should even be wearing slim fit suits. You need to know your limits, I think thats also an important element to style. I do strongly believe in the over time part, becasue its the process of seeing what works and dosen't and then you;ll have that understanding from that time on.

25-01-2005
wabisabi*

in Hiphop dance/b-boying- the notion of style is discussed frequently. because when it comes down to it, Hiphop is all about style. it doesn't matter if you can do every single move in the book.. if you don't do it with style (emphasis on personal style, biting (copying) is NOT acceptable), you get no respect. i think it applies to dance in the same way it applies to fashion. sure you can teach people the fundamentals of a movement, but you can't teach the style. everyone has to find their own style, make the movement look good on their own body, and make it align with their own personality. that's the beauty of Hiphop, it welcomes the notion of taking something and infusing it with your own personality and claiming it as your own.. because no one can take it from you, no one can emulate someone's style to a t.

as far style for me, my style is largely influenced by the music i've listened to over the years- my middle school days were filled with old school punk rock, hardcore, emo (yes, i admit it haha), and Hiphop. through these musical genres and cultures i've taken a liking to a few different style aesthetics- from the gutterpunk to the nerdy emo kid, to the sneaker-loving street style. i think my style is constantly evolving and changing and reflects where i am in life, what i've done in the past, what i'm doing, where i want to be, where i want to go, etc. someimtes i also think of fashion as art (an outlet of expression).. i like thinking about making a piece of art out of yourself and experimenting with different things...

25-01-2005
windowshopping

i think style definately develops over time. Its all about experimenting with different styles and putting your personality into that style. Sometimes you get it wrong but eventually you'll discover your own style.

I know a lot of people who just follow trends and wear the latest thing that's supposedly "cool" and end up looking the same as everyone else, but i think eventually some of them will move away from this and develop their own sense of style and individuality. but then again i think the majority of people will always follow the trends, and clones will always outweigh the individual.

I definately agree with Scott about the make-over programmes. They never take into account that persons own style and i don't think you can suddenly give someone style and a new personality overnight.

25-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
And that's what I we must detatch from the notion of style. It isn't about being fashionable...it isn't even about fashion. Its about one's identity. And I think they sometimes dress these people with their own tastes or fashion's trends in mind rather than quite the opposite. I mean,for these so-called "experts" they sure don't know a whole lot about helping a person get to that point of who they actually are.
Amen!!! And how does one come to know oneself? Is one born with the ability to really SEE oneself? Or is one trained by mother, older sisters, friends etc. to evaluate and make the most of one's good points??

barcode

Quote:

I just think that it's a process you go through..and one nobody can teach. You have to find that yourself.
Yes, I totally agree that finding your style is a process. I think it really starts in youth, as early as your elementary years because at that age it's all about fitting in and from there you spend your years developing an indentity. Even though that desire to fit in and the standards set by your peers are bsically the antithesis of what style is, you need to go through that before you find yourself. I think for most it starts late in your teens, you start to become yourself even if you aren't yet comfortable with it. Approval starts to mean less and being true to yourself takes priority.

25-01-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Well,these make-over programmes get on my nerves. Why? Because the large majority of them always seem to leave out the person's personality in the way of being fashionable. And that's what I we must detatch from the notion of style. It isn't about being fashionable...it isn't even about fashion. Its about one's identity.
Very true, in the vein of make-over reality TV programmes.

As for the original question, I think you are both born with your own personal style, and it is 'bred' as you grow and change as a person.

25-01-2005
backstage pass

It is difficult to say because style is basically a form of art and with that comes the age-old question of what is art?
Style changes, what someone wears one day might be devastatingly stylish while 20 years later it might be the epitome of bad taste. So like art, style is subjective.
But is it purely subjective? Or are stylish people like prodigal child artists and born stylish. I think they are, I think some people are born with an eye for the aesthetic.
My own style has developed over the years and comes partly from what I find beautiful. Unfortunately I see myself being drawn more and more to what is considered fashionable by 'fashionable people', it is natural for me to compare myself to others and be concerned about what they think, so I think I was not blessed with the gift of style - it was acquired and is considered by others to be stylish because it is familiar and popular. I think that is why I can say that people are born stylish - because I wasn't

25-01-2005
Hoppity Hop

I think style is way too mystified on reality tv makeover shows.

In a way, it has to be because the entertainment is in the process, not the end result. Therefore there's all this explanation, analysis and conflict between the changer and the changee.

I think it's much more simple than that. Basically, to paraphrase Calvin Klein, it's either important to the individual or it isn't.

To me it's important and I appreciate it. Whether it comes naturally to someone, is time-consumingly calculated or somewhere in between, I don't really care.

Also I don't put stock in the idea that "being yourself" is necessarily the key to being stylish. When the two concepts are in harmony, hey, that's great. But clothes and accessories sometimes allow a person not to be him or herself and I don't find anything lesser about that.

25-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atelier
I think style is way too mystified on reality tv makeover shows.

In a way, it has to be because the entertainment is in the process, not the end result. Therefore there's all this explanation, analysis and conflict between the changer and the changee.

I think it's much more simple than that. Basically, to paraphrase Calvin Klein, it's either important to the individual or it isn't.

To me it's important and I appreciate it. Whether it comes naturally to someone, is time-consumingly calculated or somewhere in between, I don't really care.

Also I don't put stock in the idea that "being yourself" is necessarily the key to being stylish. When the two concepts are in harmony, hey, that's great. But clothes and accessories sometimes allow a person not to be him or herself and I don't find anything lesser about that.
Nice idea, and best of all I can understand it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
born, bredstyle, discussion