How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-04-2004
windowshopping

Can you judge a person by his/her clothing?
Do clothes give off certain impressions? Can you assume whos a virgin and whos not by the clothes they wear? It's hard not to judge and assume things about people, I try not to, but it's difficult. What do you think?

17-04-2004
Procrastinator.

Quote:
Originally posted by young@Apr 18th, 2004 - 12:10 am
Can you assume whos a virgin and whos not by the clothes they wear?
No.

And why would you want to?

http://www.shopstyle.com/users/hboogie
18-04-2004
trendsetter

I don't think so. I often go out in a certain outfit, and then I think, "this is so not me." I'm still figuring out my own style, and I imagine many others are too. So don't judge

18-04-2004
barcode

I think people do judge other people based on what they wear. Most people would see a girl in a belly shirt, low rise jeans, platforms and whatnot. and they automatically think she's a whore. I mean, from my experience, people always assume I'm gay judging simply from the way I dress (I guess not many teenage guys look all that great, and so I'm immedietly gay cause I do) I mean, I am in fact gay , but it's not fair that people just assume it on their own.

18-04-2004
Adorable illusion

Quote:
Originally posted by HBoogie+Apr 17th, 2004 - 11:23 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HBoogie @ Apr 17th, 2004 - 11:23 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-young@Apr 18th, 2004 - 12:10 am
No.

And why would you want to? [/b][/quote]
thats what i was going to say.
Why would you wanna tell if someone is a virgin ??

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by vintage_princess+Apr 18th, 2004 - 9:43 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vintage_princess @ Apr 18th, 2004 - 9:43 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Quote:
Originally posted by HBoogie@Apr 17th, 2004 - 11:23 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-young
Quote:
@Apr 18th, 2004 - 12:10 am

No.

And why would you want to?
thats what i was going to say.
Why would you wanna tell if someone is a virgin ?? [/b][/quote]

I think this philosophy major thing is getting to me... I looked saw the topic and my mind went BZZT to fall 03...
Anyway...rrr I think one should avoid judging by appearances, let alone just clothing...

18-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Your appearance sends out powerful clues about you, that's all. Clues.

It's impossible to judge practically anything solely from appearances.

offline.

Maybe if you dress up like a NUN and wear that habit(sp?) thing... people would think you're a virgin.

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

I think clothes can present an image, nto oen taht is nesicarily true or false.

barcode

Exactly. Clothes can totally mislead people into thinking you're something you might not be. God I hate stereotypes......they piss me off

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by luna@Apr 18th, 2004 - 1:37 pm
Maybe if you dress up like a NUN and wear that habit(sp?) thing... people would think you're a virgin.
Also, the colour white traditionally symbolizes purity.
(But don't get me started...!)

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

I think I understand what young is asking here. I believe they're curious about the issue of clothing and societal judgements. Yes, people do tend to judge each other based on the way that they dress. For example, a woman who wears short skirts and fishnets is more likely to be percieved as being "loose." At the same time, a young girl wearing a polo shirt might be fitted into the category of "preppy." People do tend to stereotype each other (a tribal instinct perhaps?). Sometimes it is based on religion, gender or race. However, clothing can also be just another way of fitting individuals into categories.

18-04-2004
front row

I totally get what young is getting at. If a girl wears a tube top, miniskirt, and platforms to school, people will think she's easy, but if she wears a polo shirt and khakis people will assume that she's not breaking out the whips and chains in her spare time. When I was in high school, over one summer I developed from a skinny tiny little thing to this voluptuous and curvy little thing. I didn't change the way I dressed, so it's not like I started wearing hot pants and crop tops to school, but my typical Abercrombie shirt and jeans now looked different on me. I had cleavage for the first time, and I definitely filled out my clothes, and looked like a woman as opposed to a girl. Pretty quickly people started talking, saying I was a slut now, or a skank, even though I'd only kissed like one guy in my whole life at this point. It was just the way my body looked. For a little while it upset me, but I decided it wasn't worth it to change myself for people who didn't know me or care about me. Sure enough, pretty soon people got over it once the rumors about me sleeping with the football team were proven to be entirely false. So yeah, people do judge you based on your clothes (even though in my case, my clothes were nothing slutty), it's shallow but it happens. That's why it's up to you to make the best impression possible.

18-04-2004
V.I.P.

I understand as well But one can't "judge a book by it's cover'. Everyday I'm wearing something supposidely 'preppy' or what ever you wish to label it, but in fact I hang out with a group of skateboarders.

19-04-2004
barcode

Oh I know, I wear "preppy" clothes, but that automatically makes me superficial, shallow, rich and arrogant. I can't stand kids like that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothing, his or her, judge, person