How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-01-2007
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3machina
if i were you, i'd knock the cream off the list, go count up the # of black bags you own and camel ones, and get the color you have less of. so then you have a balanced collection. (and then you can save and buy the other bag in a few months )
Hmmmm, that would make it a camel... Then I only have to decide between the shoulder and the quilted version...
And I am still having an eye on the large Ediths on LVR, if they would go down to 50%, I would consider getting a whiskey one instead. Have been stalking their site for weeks now, but they are still at 30% off.
But I should maybe better discuss this in the handbag section and not in personal style...

30-01-2007
rising star

i always end up going for black on expensive items.

front row

i'll always buy a bag or shoes or whatever in the color it looks best in to me... unless that color is very very light or white, because i, like jun, am not interested in maintaining a white leather or fabric.

i'm a firm believer in buying clothing and accessories that i fall in love with and working them in to my wardrobe. i wear the colors that i like, and so if i buy things in those colors, by the law of deduction i will wear them.

if your wardrobe consists of a lot of bright colors, or a lot of pastels, that should be of course taken into consideration... but i personally own mostly neutrals (black, grey, white, caramel, chocolate, etc) so the occasional splurge on something i adore in an offbeat color that appeals to me can add a nice little pop, and force me to bring out things in my closet that i rarely wear to coordinate, instead of the usual black-on-black.

30-01-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crepebacksatin

... but i personally own mostly neutrals (black, grey, white, caramel, chocolate, etc) so the occasional splurge on something i adore in an offbeat color that appeals to me can add a nice little pop, and force me to bring out things in my closet that i rarely wear to coordinate, instead of the usual black-on-black.
yes! i do ths exact same thing. love yellow, some rose and green sometimes....

KUROGAMA~ get the quilted!!!!

www.thegirllovesmj.blogspot.com
02-02-2007
tfs star

Good topic!

As has been said, regardless of trend I would say a good system is:
1) Get clothes in the colors that suit your complexion as a basic palette.
2) Then, get any expensive daily basics (ex:leather accessories and coats) in the darkest colors which go with/are part of your basic palette. Try to stick to one or two colors here at first.
3) Freely add color with accessories :electric blue stockings, orange belts, and cheaper bags&shoes, etc.

Other considerations:
=availablility of shoe polish in an unconventional color
=With bottoms, I get darker colors because of park benches, puddles etc. and it's more flattering.
=With formal items I can go lighter because I only wear these a few times a year, get them drycleaned, and clothes are pretty safe within cars and ballrooms.
=black is versatile; can often be both casual and formal. But it doesn't suit everyone.
=you can also go lighter on small patterns; they camouflage minor imperfections like stains, tiny rips, lint, creases, etc.
=pure white is more versatile than pale colors because you can use bleach as a last resort.

07-05-2008
front row

I'm starting to design my wardrobe around grey - since it's the neutral that looks best on me. It also works with all the other colours I usually wear -- black, white, red, yellow, ash brown and so forth.

I think having expensive items in similar neutrals is good -- unless you want a pop of colour to use with neutral basics...

07-05-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jun3machina View Post
when figuring out colors to get, with high end purchases, white is always a no-no for me with bags and shoes. Too much $$ and too high maintenance, so much that it will take away from my enjoyment of whatever is is i would buy. white leather is VERY high maintenance and i'd rather not have to worry about that.

I know many gals say tan, khaki, chocolate and black are all staples, but you really need to figure out which colors work best for you, IMHO. i find that a more redish brown is more favorable to a true chocolate brown for me. Tan doesn't work for my but cognac colors do. It's simply a trial and error thing. but you should always have a good black bag and a wicked pair of black shoes to go with them. I personally dont wear much of any colors and so subtle changes and tones and textures of neutral colors really do it for me. i have tried like hell to incorporate colored bags into my wardrobe, but it just doesn't work. all end up either for sale on ebay or i donate them. i just cant do the color thing and feel comfortable.

i also like a lot of bags, of which less would actually look good in my wardobe. when shopping, you really need to think about your most favortie things you wear, and if that possible purchase will work with what you have or compliment it. that's an important thing im just learning now. i have to think first and if the bag fits into my wardrobe, i'll get it. otherwise, it's just a style i like to look at and isn't practical for use.

and the whole silver and gold thing: i think if you match them, you can look more put together, but i dont think it's so much of a fashion-dont now-a-days.
Agree ... I call that color tobacco & used it alot in the past for bags, shoes, belts, and it always looked great with black ... especially woven leather, or croc.

Now my clothes are more neutral than they used to be, and I like a pop of color in my accessories. Right now I have a leopard-print bag, and it works with everything in my fall wardrobe except one purple tweed jacket. I love all my red shoes ...

08-05-2008
scenester

Just realized I am a boring person, ALL my good handbags are black. Not good...

10-05-2008
V.I.P.

60% of my wardrobe is navy. all i need now is a ferocious tan/beige/sand colored jacket and i guess my wardrobe would be pretty much complete.

02-07-2008
trendsetter

I usually try to pick a very common versatile color, since I'll be spending some serious cash I want to be able to wear it for a while, and with different items.

28-07-2008
Power to the 99%

I have to admit that the investment item I bought recently was black ... a very exciting black I want you to know :p

28-07-2008
rising star

I agree with everyone. It really depends on your wardrobe and what colors you wear. If you buy a black bag, but do not wear a lot of dark colors or colors that go with black, it will not be a good investment for you. Stick with a color you know works best for you.

I always buy in dark brown, camel, black and white...for investment pieces such as bags and shoes, or even coats.

28-07-2008
windowshopping

I struggle with this question often but usually end up choosing a safe color like black. If you want something different, a good way to figure out which colors would be best for you may be to take a look a any inexpensive bags you already own. Do you find yourself reaching for a particular color more often than the others? If so, this may be a good color to invest in since you already know it will work with your wardrobe.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
choosing, color, investment, items