How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-07-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I think you shouldn't force yourself to get rid of things you're not ready to let go of. So, you have to get yourself ready I believe I've already mentioned the books I recommend for this.

That said, in my clutter clearing, letters generally go, and that goes double for anything related to past relationships. My view is that all these things are part of me, and I don't need to preserve the physical evidence.

For my present line of work, I keep things that can actually contribute to my portfolio. Work I wouldn't show anyone else, I don't keep either. Also things I actually expect to refer to in the future. This means the majority of everything goes.

I don't have much of a previous line of work, but say, college papers ... anything really interesting, that I think I might want to read again, I keep. The vast majority can go ...

I don't know if I've mentioned/admitted this yet But I keep a basket in the bath with letters, newsletters, journals, magazines put out by non-profits, etc. and every time I'm in there I read a page (or not) and toss it into the recycling. (There's a first pass through the paperwork that winnows it down to this stage.) This way I'm making some progress every day, and I don't have to set aside a large block of time for going through this stuff.

30-07-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
For my present line of work, I keep things that can actually contribute to my portfolio. Work I wouldn't show anyone else, I don't keep either. Also things I actually expect to refer to in the future. This means the majority of everything goes.
I don't have much of a previous line of work, but say, college papers ... anything really interesting, that I think I might want to read again, I keep. The vast majority can go ...
Thank you for your immediate reply ta-ta! Your suggestions as always are amazing. "Contributing to my portfolio" is a really good one. And you're right, I have a lot of reference material that I don't actually refer to...

Your idea of a basket/recycling bin combo is great. I should also start reading my mail next to the recycling bin...

I know this is not what you're saying, but I could never understand when people go on a rampage to tear up photos and letters when a relationship ends; I'm just filled with gratitude and we go on to become friends...so any reminders are just like reminders of beloved family members to me. The difficulty is getting rid of anything which people have put their hearts into creating for me--letters, sweaters, children's drawings...big softie. At the same time, I am so ready to get rid of it on a material level. I could very much relate when Theyskens said something like he wishes he can "keep" all the feelings people have had about his work, more than the work itself. I know they are a part of me like you say...hmm...

Anyhow, I've looked into the books you mentioned, and the Feng Shui one seems to be quite a favorite in Japan! I'm sure I'll find it on my next visit to the bookstore.

01-08-2009
scenester

I view my wardrobe as a showcase of my clothes, bags and shoes. It's something that must be kept tidy, and I often de-clutter it once every month or so i.e. bin bag in hand with an intention of shipping the unwanted goods off to a charity shop.

I LOATHE messiness, it's disgusting. I hate messy rooms (although my room was rather messy in the pictures shown in my blog, sorry, but come on I was changing outfits, ha). Take pride in your wardrobe and your clothes, it's always easier to locate clothes in a well organised wardrobe.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Thank you for your immediate reply ta-ta! Your suggestions as always are amazing. "Contributing to my portfolio" is a really good one. And you're right, I have a lot of reference material that I don't actually refer to...

Your idea of a basket/recycling bin combo is great. I should also start reading my mail next to the recycling bin...

I know this is not what you're saying, but I could never understand when people go on a rampage to tear up photos and letters when a relationship ends; I'm just filled with gratitude and we go on to become friends...so any reminders are just like reminders of beloved family members to me. The difficulty is getting rid of anything which people have put their hearts into creating for me--letters, sweaters, children's drawings...big softie. At the same time, I am so ready to get rid of it on a material level. I could very much relate when Theyskens said something like he wishes he can "keep" all the feelings people have had about his work, more than the work itself. I know they are a part of me like you say...hmm...

Anyhow, I've looked into the books you mentioned, and the Feng Shui one seems to be quite a favorite in Japan! I'm sure I'll find it on my next visit to the bookstore.
That's sweet

It really was a huge breakthrough for me when I realized that everything I've experienced is part of me.

Unfortunately in my case the pile of stuff wasn't so much sweet memories as a reminder of all kinds of painful times in my life. If someone ever wrote me a nasty letter or note, I still had it When I realized I had basically created a monument to unpleasantness, I couldn't believe my own stupidity

I think in any case you are going to feel a real sense of lightness after doing this. Best of luck

02-08-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
That's sweet

It really was a huge breakthrough for me when I realized that everything I've experienced is part of me.

Unfortunately in my case the pile of stuff wasn't so much sweet memories as a reminder of all kinds of painful times in my life. If someone ever wrote me a nasty letter or note, I still had it When I realized I had basically created a monument to unpleasantness, I couldn't believe my own stupidity

I think in any case you are going to feel a real sense of lightness after doing this. Best of luck
Ooh, monument to unpleasantness, lol!!
Not a laughing matter though, it is so true. We all need to look really cold and hard at what we surround ourselves with. I realize as I do this that I must focus on who I am now. Stuff of the past, whether good or bad, is of the past. The same goes for "just in case" stuff whose only relevance is that something undesired will occur in future...unless I actually enjoy having it around right now. (Except perhaps for the emergency kit, backup files and extra money...?). I'm still new to this. I could do with your huge breakthrough around now... How life-changing it must have been to get rid of your stuff!! Thanks for the inspiration. That'll be my new cleaning mantra: everything is part of me.

Having read Harry Potter recently, I loved the image of the friends embarking on a quest to save the world with only a tiny beaded bag...

Last edited by Melisande; 02-08-2009 at 08:44 AM.
02-08-2009
rising star

Quote:
^ I think you shouldn't force yourself to get rid of things you're not ready to let go of. So, you have to get yourself ready
oh boy, this is probably the reason i'm going be postponing decluttering FOREVER

02-08-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I would recommend starting right away and making a first pass. I suspect you will find things that anyone would be willing to get rid of. I have found the empty envelopes that bills came in ... surely we can all agree that those can go :p

If you're serious about wanting to declutter, I would recommend reading the two books I mentioned earlier in this thread.

One of the great points Peter Walsh makes is that your stuff needs to fit your space. If you have 4 bookshelves & more books than will fit, you probably don't need more shelves--you need fewer books. This was also extremely helpful to me.

I used to spend a lot of time thinking about storage solutions, when what I needed was not to store my crap, but to get rid of it.

03-08-2009
V.I.P.

i tend to purge everything and keep only the most very good things.

one dark and one light shirt, sweater, jacket, trouser, socks, shoes. minimalist i have a lot of experience since i've been moving all the time. you tend to pick things that not only suit you best but also feel good for walking long distances and in the shine or rain. when i've been living someplace nearing a month i start to accumulate, since it gets boring to wear the same thing almost everyday. but up till now i don't have anything i can call junk... i use everything i have.

31-08-2009
Power to the 99%

bumping for William St Girl

31-08-2009
backstage pass

OK girls... gonna go through my husbands wardrobe with him tonight... we are moving house soon and need to clear out... for a bloke he has a lot of clothes and quite into them... I wouldn't say he is a typical lad! However... we both need to cut down a lot... we def want to go for the less but more attitude keeping quality rather than quantity in our minds... so do any of you have any quick tips on some rules we should maybe follow...

I was thinking for starters... anything with characters on them... simpsons etc.. not that he has many but a few socks ties etc...

Then random things that dont fit it with anything else!

All cheenos... the work of the devil in my opinion!

Any other rules we could adopt!

WSG x

31-08-2009
windowshopping

I guess go for what are classics. Classic shirt, pants, blazer, etc that sort of thing. And then keep the really unique pieces.

It's tough cleaning out the closet, my best advice from my own experience is to do it with someone. the other person can be there to put their foot down because they'll have no attachment to the pieces.

Best of luck!

tfs star

I recently did.

I realized I was way too old for some Versace Jeans Couture, Diesel, Tommy Hilfiger, D&G, Just Cavalli and Abercrombie pieces. I am really embarrassed actually, to keep them for this long. Just look at your clothes, and then look at who you are or who you want to be. If you cannot imagine yourself wearing any of those items ever again in your life, time to move on. Keep them only if you value them as memories.

I think it is easier for guys to throw away things. Girls think 'maybe I should save this so my daughter one day, or niece, can wear it as vintage...' etc. Which is an excuse that can easily be justified.

I just could not bring myself to look at the Just Cavalli crap I bought when I was 14-15 years old. Yuck. I am happy I have moved on.

31-08-2009
the crying of humanity

If I don't clean out my closet soon I fear it will take over my room. Or worse, my house. My problem is that I'm the biggest pack rat I know (my family will certainly back me up on this one), so throwing away anything is incredibly difficult. Hopefully I won't end up like the Collyer brothers...

Power to the 99%

^ I find it easier to give things to a good cause ...

31-08-2009
rising star

^ I second this. Knowing I was giving the clothes to Goodwill/Salvation Army really helped me when I did a big overhaul. I can't bring myself to throw anything away, not even little bits of paper I can scribble on (no idea where that Depression-era mindset came from...), but if I'm giving something away to be used by someone else, it's much easier to let go.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet