How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-01-2010
Power to the 99%

^ Yes ... we have a couple feng shui threads around here I think. I have a feng shui consultant I work with (she's coming next Monday in fact), and yes, it works. There's quite a bit more to know than what's in the bookstore might lead you to believe, but it all has an effect. I have had people tell me, oh, you don't need a feng shui expert, I lived in Asia for awhile and anyone can do it. They say a little knowledge is dangerous ...

07-01-2010
rising star

I was going to tell you to message her, but fashionista-ta posted before I could even finish typing her name.n

Last edited by ATM1985; 07-01-2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Double post
07-01-2010
fashion elite

hmm I just sell what I don't wear after 6 months (it's mostly designer) then give the money to charity.I am very lucky.

08-01-2010
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbfairy View Post
Bringing this thread back. This past week I have started to have a massive clear out from my flat. I can't believe how much stuff I have kept just in case I might have needed,I can really relate to Chanels post at the top of the page. I don't know if it fits into this thread,but has anybody ever organised a room according to feng shui? Only I'm curious as to whether it has any effect or not.
i did that---kept it that way for ages even though i hated it...
just changed everything around and i am so much happier already...
i decided that it was better to organize according to ME...
and being ME was the best thing i could be!
:p

also just sent a big bag o' stuff over to the salvation army...
cleared about 1/2 a rolling rack...
still have 1 and 1/2 racks of stuff to find new homes for though..
some of it will go into storage...but some of it needs to find a permanent new home...

i wish i wasn't so lazy about ebay and could just list some stuff...

i just can't stand the idea of the post office lines!

08-01-2010
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I have had people tell me, oh, you don't need a feng shui expert, I lived in Asia for awhile and anyone can do it. They say a little knowledge is dangerous ...
I'm one quater Chinese. That makes me qualified enough :p

I have let my bedroom get so cluttered simply because the room is too big. I feel almost like I need to fill it. I'm English,we're not used to minimalism. We like cluttered space. Cluttered=cosy My room doesn't feel right without half a dozen magazines and books sprawled across the floor. I think it would be a lot more organised if I had more storage space. I have 4 double wardrobes (Though I'm trying to take the brave step into only having 3...goodbye wonderful clothes ) but nowhere for anything else.

I'm definetly going to give feng shui a try though,I won't know if it works for me if I don't try!

09-01-2010
Power to the 99%

^ I think it would be worth your while to consult with an expert, although they won't be able to do as much if you just have a room/apartment rather than a house and yard. As my feng shui person is always telling me, "Everything you do outside is far more powerful than what you do inside."

If you're not comfortable in your room when you're finished, it's not right--it's just that simple. My feng shui person does fairly elaborate calculations, and where things should be change according to the specific person (birth date and gender), the current month, and the current year. Each year she rearranges my desk, where I sit at the dining table, the sofa, and my bed. Anyplace you spend a significant amount of time is important. Some years the previous position continues to work--it's not total musical chairs every time. She will often give me a choice of 2 or more positions, and tell me which is best.

When your furniture is arranged properly (and as I say, from January to February this might be quite different), you will be more comfortable, sleep better, etc. As I mentioned, if this is not the case, the arrangement is wrong. You can also make adjustments for better health (or avoiding potential health issues), reducing conflict, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-01-2010 at 06:06 PM.
10-01-2010
windowshopping

A few months ago I moved and I was pretty tired of all the clothes I never used soooo.... I threw it out

10-01-2010
fashion icon

Thanks for your advie Ta-ta I have a large aparment and 100 foot garden but it's mainly just my bedroom that is in need of a major de-clutter. (My flatmates room is her domain,I gather it's more cluttered than mine!) I'm definetly going to look into someone in my local area who would be able to organise my apartment according to feng shui. I did buy a plant a few weeks ago to try and...well,whatever it is that pot plants are supposed to do?! Make a room feel more like a garden? But I'm terrible at remembering to water it. And I have a wonderful goldfish who is surprising a very calming influence on me.

As my exams draw ever closer my spring clean is gaining in intensity! Another 2 pairs of battered shoes finally went I just hope that I don't see this as an excuse in a few weeks time to go shopping to fill the void of what I have parted with.

10-01-2010
Power to the 99%

^ I like to think of space & clutter clearing as making room for intangibles that I want--and I think it does work that way

Remind yourself that you don't have to save everything, because whatever you need in the future will come to you. And, you don't have to save mementos because all your experiences are part of you ... you don't need any evidence to prove it. Once you really internalize those two things, letting go becomes completely easy.

Bamboo in water is so much easier than houseplants--all you have to do is remember to add water every so often. I'm much better with plants outdoors, even potted ...

My feng shui person is coming tomorrow (she says the annual shift is on the 14th--why a month ahead of Chinese New Year I don't know, but mine is not to question why :p) & I've been getting ready for her tonight. I don't know how your person will be, but I'm not afraid to tell her no when something is not going to work, or it's just going to be too ugly. Like one time she wanted me to build this little rock formation next to my house, and I had to explain that no, there's a sidewalk there, and I have to walk on that sidewalk The rest of the time I'm trying to figure out how to do things and have them be aesthetically pleasing. It's an interesting little challenge Certain of her cures (like the saltwater ones) are clearly odd, and people who make it far enough into the house tend to ask about them. My plumber was quite mystified but last time he was here he told me he'd been reading up on that feng shui He sounded like he thought I was a little less nuts than when we originally talked about it. Hey, I don't mind ... I consider it part of my job to march to a different drummer & help broaden people's minds

14-01-2010
windowshopping

well, that is my "new" new year's resolution...clean up my closet. It sure needs a clean up and update in some areas. In the past year I have bought new items that are basic, but more resilient to fashion fads.
I am hoping to do a real pruning of my closet this weekend. aaahahrhrrggghghghhh!!!!... nervous wreck here, but will manage . the thing that i keep reminding myself is that after the clean up comes shopping!

FF

trendsetter

I just gave my cousins 2 bags of clothes from my last clean out, but atm I'm having loads of "what-to-wear"-crises, so I think I'll clean out my closet again soon. When I've just cleaned out my closet I think it is so easy to dress, since I wanna wear every single piece in my wardrobe.

21-01-2010
rising star

Every other season I try to clean out my closet and donate at least one big trash bag of clothing. Seeing as how I've been trying to streamline my wardrobe in the last year, though, I might have less to throw out this time around. Hopefully I don't find too many "wow, these still have the tags on them" or "TOO TRENDY!" items!

22-01-2010
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i did that---kept it that way for ages even though i hated it...
just changed everything around and i am so much happier already...
i decided that it was better to organize according to ME...
and being ME was the best thing i could be!
:p
Haha, when I moved into my apartment everything was arranged according to feng shui and I hesitated to move anything around for that reason. I never liked it though (I like having my apartment more "bare" as some people call it) so I rearranged everything "my way" (:p) and it opened up the small-ish apartment enormously and made it very "light-filled." Funny that when my landlord and neighbors who are Asian came in they complimented me on what I had done with the place. I think you should give it a try but do what works for you.

22-01-2010
backstage pass

I sell stuff on ebay that is worth selling... you need to weigh up the effort against cash... and anything else goes to the charity shop... the prob with me is when im dropping stuff off I always end up buying something as well... charity shop shopping can be fun! Getting a walk in wardrobe in our new house... well it was the 5th bedroom but we have decided to knock through from the master... prob is my hubby was to have a bit of it too... but if i work out how i'd like to have it... leavs no room for him... not told him the bad news yet... but will work on it... im sure he will cope with a bit less space than planned... but I cant help it if 75 pairs of shoes take up more room than i thought can I???

Def need to maybe comprimise a bit though and throw out stuff

22-01-2010
front row

I send my husband to the Salvation Army to drop my things off...If I go myself, it's like a magnet. I have to take a look inside.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet