How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-02-2010
rising star

I have a difficult time getting rid of pieces, especially when I've spent a good deal of hard-earned cash on an item. Even if I haven't, I usually adopt some sort of twisted sentimental attachment that makes the process even more difficult.

Even though my personal style has evolved over time, I feel that because trends and interests tend to cycle, that I might be interested in something again if only I choose a different layering piece, etc.

My closet is getting mighty full, though, and I can only imagine how refreshing it would be to walk into it and like everything I see - rather than 10%, 15%.

03-02-2010
Power to the 99%

^ You should try it ... don't get rid of anything, just split it up into two places ... the 15% you like, and everything else.

03-02-2010
flaunt the imperfection..

i'm sucking it up and i've got two more bags full of stuff to go to charity...

granted- there are a few leather jkts and a pair of boots that take up 1/2 the room...
but still...

06-02-2010
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ You should try it ... don't get rid of anything, just split it up into two places ... the 15% you like, and everything else.
i agree. the key is to go in guns blazing when you're in a ruthless mood. i hate clutter, so luckily, this results in me purging semi-regularly.

my husband is another story, but my ruthless closet cleaning ways are rubbing off on him lately.

this is only with clothes, of course. i have a hard time parting with shoes for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i'm sucking it up and i've got two more bags full of stuff to go to charity...

granted- there are a few leather jkts and a pair of boots that take up 1/2 the room...
but still...
ok-so i gave the bags to my mom to bring to the charity shop and she looked through and saw that it was a bunch of brand new stuff, etc...
and wound up keeping 1/2 of it herself...
including the leather jkts!...

oh well- at least it got a good home and it's out of my house now!...

:p

19-10-2010
trendsetter

I need to clean out and organize my closets so bad because over half of my items I don't wear (or have never worn), but it's so so hard for me to get rid of perfectly fine (and brand new) clothes. : (

20-10-2010
Once King

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
ok-so i gave the bags to my mom to bring to the charity shop and she looked through and saw that it was a bunch of brand new stuff, etc...
and wound up keeping 1/2 of it herself...
including the leather jkts!...

oh well- at least it got a good home and it's out of my house now!...

my sister did the same thing.

I really need to get rid of a lot of pieces I own. It isn't that I do not wear much of it but I just own too much extra.

30-11-2010

ok- made an appt to take a few things to the consignment store...
things like...
oh--- a missoni scarf i bought 5 years ago that still has the tag on it...

so silly...tired of looking at them and feeling bad about myself for not wearing them...
so- off i go...to the consignment shop...
hope they can sell them for me...
i don't want to bring them back into the house if i can avoid it!...

wish me luck...

30-11-2010
tfs star

What helps me is putting all the "dubious" stuff in big plastic bags, closing them tight and then putting them away, off sight, away from the "main" closet, in the garage or in another room for instance.

I always grab a Sharpie and put the date of the day I did the bagging. So when I go back to those bags in the next months I can realize the time passed and whether I actually missed any of those garments.

After a year of not missing them, off they go.

When I do my bi anual closet-cleansing I like to feel I´m not "divorcing" of my "mistakes" but only taking a time off.

After a year I´m convinced, and I don´t regret giving them away. When I tried to do it in just one move, I ended up having regrets.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by newprincesita; 30-11-2010 at 02:04 PM.
30-11-2010
V.I.P.

^I'd gladly take the Missoni scarf if the consignment shop doesn't want it

I totally feel like cleaning out my closet again. I barely have anything left in it as I've cleaned it out several times this year and never re-stocked, but I'm so tired of most items in my closet at the moment.

30-11-2010
V.I.P.

I cleaned my closet a few weeks ago.. last time I did it was two years ago and it was a fast process, I mostly went for a yay/nay criteria, packed it all up and sent it out.. this time was a lot harder, I put into debate every single piece that I haven't worn in the last years and I realised I had a lot of new stuff that I never used and definitely never will and that I felt bad to get rid of as they were mostly presents, or clothes that people that are no longer around 'liked' on me.. I'm so sentimental regarding clothes , but anyway, I pulled it all out and separated it.. into summer/winter clothes and clothes I feel nothing for/the opposite.

All the outwear, new and warm stuff I sent it to an orphanage one of my aunts volunteers at. The light clothes went to a second-hand store that I don't visit (I'd be scared to find my clothes on the racks when shopping lol) and the clothes that meant a little more I showed them to a couple of friends and relatives and they went fast.
I only kept one green sweater that I know I'll never wear but can't let go ..

Last edited by MulletProof; 30-11-2010 at 04:25 PM.
01-12-2010
backstage pass

I clean out my closet every spring and donate clothes that I don't wear a lot or don't want anymore. I get a clean closet and people are able to get clothes, a win-win to me.

Anything that is on the more expensive side, I sell on ebay.

01-12-2010
windowshopping

I CONSTANTLY clean out my closet. Consign, consign, consign!! Otherwise, I feel that I'm swimming in clothes. My philosophy is, if you don't have enough days in the month to wear all that you have.....start tossing!

01-12-2010
windowshopping

I am in the process of throwing out 70% of my wardrobe, and not just things I don't wear, either.

I've just got a promotion at work (technically I'll still be on the same level, but it's a better job on a higher salary, which is a promotion in my book), and I'll have to move to London to take up the job. So as well as getting rid of things I don't wear to make my suitcases lighter, I'm also getting rid of all my can't-be-bothered clothes, including the scratty old pair of jeans I've worn almost every day for the past two years. Anything that doesn't make me feel amazing when I put it on is going, no matter how useful it is. Much to my surprise, I don't miss any of the things I've chucked so far, even the old faithful jeans. I actually feel much better. I'm going to have to put a lot more thought into what I wear, but that can only be a good thing.

Doing the same with my shoes is going to be a wrench, though...

02-12-2010
front row

I've thrown out 90% now

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet