How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-04-2011
windowshopping

oh also there are some good books about cleaning out your closet. for me these books are a helpful motivator and also extremely helpful in understanding the value of a closet edit. nothing to wear? was my favorite, and i think i've read pretty much every closet organization book out there

03-04-2011
trendsetter

Cleaning out my closet for real today! Neither of my roommates are home, so I am going to blast some dance music and sort everything in to donate/sell/keep piles!

03-04-2011
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphine View Post
Cleaning out my closet for real today! Neither of my roommates are home, so I am going to blast some dance music and sort everything in to donate/sell/keep piles!
i think music is absolutely essential to the closet clean-out process

just gets you in the zone and keeps you going through what can be a huge process

03-04-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
i think music is absolutely essential to the closet clean-out process

just gets you in the zone and keeps you going through what can be a huge process
Totally. About to put on my Cut Copy record and plug in the speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mDw0pGLr0w

15-05-2011
trendsetter

Last night I went through 5 different outfits and left unsatisfied. I need a new wardrobe and a more mature one cause I look 16 with the clothes I have right now. I need a simple, classy, sexy, and mature closet

15-05-2011
front row

I've had an obsession with closet organization ever since Oprah did that episode where she cleaned out Gayle's closet. I actually have two closets now because I need extra room because I don't like my stuff packed too close together.

15-05-2011
trendsetter

My new apartment is kind of ridiculous in terms of closet space - There is no closet in my room exactly, but there's a walk in closet off the hallway, and I have two dressers plus a very loaded down coat rack in my bedroom, plus a smaller coat closet stuffed with old yoga gear. I've been pulling things out and posting them on Ebay, but I am trying to pace myself with the auction listings. I don't want to have to ship a million garments at once.

20-05-2011
once more, with feeling

I got rid of a lot of stuff over the past week, the bulk of it yesterday. I'm trying to go from "clutter" to "things I love." One of the things I have to get over is holding on to things just because I spent X dollars on it. If they don't give me any pleasure in wearing them, they still cost more than they're worth.

V.I.P.

advice from the wall street journal (wsj.com)

Q: I have limited closet space, and I just dug out a denim skirt and an almost-new cashmere shell sweater that were in there on the floor and I forgot about. I want to organize better so that I can get more out of my wardrobe and make it easier to pack my luggage before a trip.
—R.R., New York CityA: Crowded closets are the bane of apartment living, especially in New York. So pare your wardrobe down to the best of the best, display everything as visibly as possible, and insist that all garments are always in wear-now condition.

Group dresses and separates by color—instead of by season—which will coax you to mix cashmere with cotton voile and khaki with velvet, with surprisingly cool results. Use hooks and peg boards to hang scarves, long necklaces or handbags; you'll be inspired to wear them more if they are in full view.
Weed out too-snug items: Even if you don't gain much, your weight shifts around as you age—so you should keep auditioning clothes that are more than five years old. Ditch all those cute stilettos that hurt your feet—and vow never to go there again. But hang on to special vintage items, even if you wear them rarely. The men's kimono I bought in a Tokyo flea market 26 years ago is timeless and works with skinny jeans and black leggings, so it stays forever.
Resolve to fix or nix clothes that aren't ready for active duty, such as the top with the huge grease spot and anything that needs to be altered or to have zippers or buttons replaced.
The workhorses in my wardrobe are maybe 10 outfits that I wear again and again—and it's probably the same for you. With few exceptions, I now limit my shopping to replicating variations of my all-time favorites.

25-05-2011
trendsetter

The hard thing is, I don't think I have very many clothes. I could probably fit it all in to two large suitcases if I had to, but of course my boyfriend thinks I have a lot of clothes. It's hard to say, but I would venture that my clothing is simply poorly organized. I tend to wear certain to death before parting with them.

25-05-2011
backstage pass

I find shoe organization really difficult. I have only space at the bottom of the closet and I hate getting on my hands and knees to pick out shoes, so I cleared out some space so I could put them on shelves, but I still don't have enough space! Shoe storage is a beeyotch.

25-05-2011
trendsetter

Shoe storage is the worst, I am thisclose to getting an over the door shoe thing. They're so unsightly though. #problems!

26-05-2011
V.I.P.

i bought shoe closets from ikea. they are compartments that stick to the wall that open up. the are good for getting shoes out of the way.

26-05-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmethatbag View Post
I find shoe organization really difficult. I have only space at the bottom of the closet and I hate getting on my hands and knees to pick out shoes, so I cleared out some space so I could put them on shelves, but I still don't have enough space! Shoe storage is a beeyotch.
I storage all my shoes in their boxes and put the boxes on top of the closet. Of course you need that space then, but I think it works very well.

26-05-2011
trendsetter

I think my summer project will be organizing my drawer space really well. I need to make some dividers out of an old cardboard box or something.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet