How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-05-2005
backstage pass

I just did that put everything away in bags and out of reach....it actually feels good....my closet is clean, wish I could go shopping now :p

26-05-2005
front row

I'm actually having fun wearing some really great stuff I had forgot about. It's great, because I can just focus on the good stuff, without being overwhelmed by all the crap that I am always convinced I can make work. I feel much more confident about my styel!

26-05-2005
adi
fashion insider

i just went through my closet and i found these ugly skirst that i've weared like one time. now my closet is so empty and i really need to do some serious shopping. well anyways it felt good to get rid of all of your old clothes and underwear, and now i'm going to take all the old clothes to second hand stores

13-02-2008
Power to the 99%

cleaning out your closet
I've noticed there are a few of us clutterholics around tFS Some have cluttered closets ... others (like me) have a fairly uncluttered closet, plus at least one other closet that should perhaps be cleared out mostly or completely And then there's other kinds of clutter, like my own personal weakness, paper clutter

We have other threads where you can complain about the problem ... this one is for talking about the solution

I've recommended elsewhere two books that have been a great help to me: Peter Walsh's It's All Too Much, and Karen Kingston's Clearing Your Clutter with Feng Shui. Both are available in paperback & both should inspire you to action

So please share your clutter clearing strategies and success stories here!

I'll be back to say more about mine ...

13-02-2008
In Bloom

I have one rule: Buy one, get rid of one. It works fairly well. I can reach into my closet and grab something random, and I know it's something that I love and wear often. Because everything I kinda like, but don't wear to often, has been thrown out or donated to Red Cross to make place for something I really love.

we were in love

13-02-2008
backstage pass

I have a rather sentimental attachment to all sort of scraps of paper, movie ticket stubs, museum stubs, restaurant cards from vacations....I'm curious as to what others do with them.

I finally did something about my pages ripped out of magazines - a lookbook for me and the home, plus files for potential purchases for each and for potential beauty purchases.

For books I tend to keep/buy art books (heavy, but what can you do??) but I try to get rid of novels that I won't read again or may read, but will probably have a new translation out by the time I read them. I have certain authors that I just have to keep around and I also like poetry, so those books stay. When I read something light like the Narnia books or Harry Potter they get donated to my library, along with Dvds that I haven't watched in a year. I've also started using the library more and that cuts back on clutter coming into my home.

I toss unflattering photos of myself. And for the kitchen I'm pretty good about getting rid of unused appliances, um George Forman grill, bread machine....

For clothing I finally got rid of about 1/2 of what I haven't worn in a year, but I'm having a hard time letting go of the rest. Sort of the in case I lose weight issue, and in this case its more like in case I lose weight and can fit into this amazing McQueen skirt. Shoes I finally tossed anything that really hurt to wear (in the toes).

My problem areas are scraps of paper, books, and clothes.

I'm really good about not buying/keeping too many Dvds, magazines, or kitchen items.

13-02-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ida View Post
I have one rule: Buy one, get rid of one. It works fairly well. I can reach into my closet and grab something random, and I know it's something that I love and wear often. Because everything I kinda like, but don't wear to often, has been thrown out or donated to Red Cross to make place for something I really love.
I wish I could do that!!

13-02-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I totally have saved the ticket stubs, programs, etc. in the past too In my big clutter-clearing extravaganza, I've been tossing them all in the recycling bin. I found ticket stubs from concerts I went to in the early 80s

A few weeks ago I cleared out my catalogs (I only keep the past few months' worth, which as it turns out is quite a few) & put them all in my recycling cart. Of course, catalogs and magazines are super heavy. It actually broke the recycling truck The little mini forklift froze in the out position and the truck couldn't go anywhere, they had to come fix it

13-02-2008
tfs star

I love CLUTTER

But recently my mother (must have been taken over by aliens) has completly de cluttered my room! and she keeps tidying it up!
It's crazy.
I love paper clutter!

In Bloom

I always give my magazines to my cousin or BF's mom. They take up too much room in my tiny little apartment. I don't really own much stuff...I used to, but I toss everything in the bin everytime I move, which is often.

we were in love

14-02-2008
jedinečnej krásy

Superb topic fashionista-ta

I've been planning to relocate for the last few months, so I've had to slowly engage my wardrobe and ephemera. It has gotten to the point that I've stacked up literally years of magazines and catalogs, cds and dvds, even paper items that have been boxed (ticket stubs, programmes, etc.)

I've gotten into a weekly practice now of looking at my wardrobe and if I haven't worn an item in the last year, I give it one more try. If it doesn't work, it's removed. Considering the volume I'm working with, this is tedious, but I have been able to remove sweaters, trousers, shirts...and even shoes

I purged my magazines recently as well, to those released within the last year, but it is still a bit much and I may have to just recycle them to save space...

With respect to concert and program and vacation souvenirs - I have always loved them, but ultimately if I haven't stared at them in the time since the event, I have started to discard or recycle what I can. For some of the souvenirs, I have been paring down what I have for a particular event with the intent of putting them in memory boxes (i.e. the wooden framed/glass curios to ogle at). I have a few trips saved this way now.

For some of my paper stuff...I actually scan it to my external drive, then shred the original. That has been a bit time consuming, but instead of clutter on the desk (or floor...) it's jumbled in several directories on the drive, and I can live with that.

I haven't really figured out how to address my CD and DVD collection. My music is all digitally stored on an external drive as well as my Zunes. I have a shelving system for the CDs which is organized and doesn't take up much space, but it's just sitting there - and I have a fear that if I give up my CDs then either my Zunes or external drive will malfunction and erase everything - then I'd have no way to restart my digital collection.

In terms of non-clothing purchases, I've been more selective in the last 6 months or so, focusing on items that are durable, of value or unique interest to me.

scenester

Only when I moved to a new house did I realize how much stuff I actually have. I think I got rid of about half my possessions in the move, just because I know I won't miss any of them.
It earned me a nice bit of money on ebay too.

14-02-2008
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
I have a rather sentimental attachment to all sort of scraps of paper, movie ticket stubs, museum stubs, restaurant cards from vacations....I'm curious as to what others do with them.
I am almost extactly like you, salome. Although my place is not that cluttered, I think I still can make it better than now.

ta-ta, Clearing Your Clutter with Feng Shui sounds very interesting, I will check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

14-02-2008
scenester

All sentimental clutter e.g. photos, ticket stubs, postcards I have organised into two big black kikki.k. photo boxes. Childhood drawings/paintings etc. will be framed soon and then hung on the walls.

Other than sentimental stuff I can get rid of anything - I have no attachments. List it on eBay for $1 and just get rid of it!

15-02-2008
the crying of humanity

The only solution I know of is my mother. By the time she leaves a room, it's completely clutter-free. I don't know how she does it!

Tags
cleaning, closet