How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-02-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha_Love View Post
My wardrobe consists of so many beautiful items that I love looking at, but will never wear...should I keep them or should I toss them?
Once or twice a year I have a clothing swap with some friends. We pick a Sunday afternoon and have some wine and snacks, and we all bring the items that we don't wear but are having a hard time tossing. It's a lot easier to let those things go when you see how good they look on someone else.

If you do this, I'd advise a suggested limit on the number of pieces and explain that the purpose is to get rid of the pieces that are a little harder to let go. Otherwise you end up with one or two people who bring the giant garbage bags full of everything they have hoarded for the past 20 years, and it gets difficult to sort through everything.

I recently made a clothing purgatory box. That's where I put things I probably want to get rid of, but am not sure I'm quite ready. If it sits in there for a while and I don't miss it, it's in the next clothing swap.

19-02-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra View Post
I recently made a clothing purgatory box. That's where I put things I probably want to get rid of, but am not sure I'm quite ready. If it sits in there for a while and I don't miss it, it's in the next clothing swap.

I do this, too. It really eases the "transition," so to speak. Not using it for a couple of months and realizing you didn't even miss it usually is a sign that you can live without it. Love the "purgatory" name!

20-02-2012
scenester

I do it once a year and there's no questions, if I see I didn't wear something in a very long time I donate it all.

flaunt the imperfection

in the process of editing...
it's going slowly and it's not so easy...
but it feels good when I know I've made the right decision...

some things I'm just not going to get rid of — ever...
and that's ok...
:p

19-05-2012
girl who fell to earth

^^I'm doing the same at the moment...
kind of forced into it because I'm in the process of moving
Am having a very hard time letting a lot of stuff go! And as a result I'm keeping most of it :p

I'm having an easy time getting rid of some of my old gym clothes though
Much less attached to that stuff

Still, it's nice to rediscover a lot of the great stuff I have, and as a result I haven't been tempted AT ALL to go shopping.
I certainly don't need anything.

03-06-2012
rising star

This thread inspired me to clean out my wardrobe. I usually do that 1x or 2x a year anyways but most of the time i feel too sentimental. A a couple of years ago I did have a few really good clean outs after which i felt really zen for a while. I feel today might be another day like that. (hopefully!)

03-06-2012
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgghh View Post
This thread inspired me to clean out my wardrobe. I usually do that 1x or 2x a year anyways but most of the time i feel too sentimental. A a couple of years ago I did have a few really good clean outs after which i felt really zen for a while. I feel today might be another day like that. (hopefully!)
The best of luck

rising star

^ thanx. a little update,it worked, i did it And there was a charity flea market at a local caffe where you could donate your chlothes and they sell it for you giving the money to charity afterwards, it was just perfect timing so i didnt feel any guilt discarting a lot of clothes in good condition. And i wont feel any guilt when I buy new stuff eather because i now really need some!

16-08-2012
scenester

I'm in the process of cleaning out my closet and its been a real pain. I've actually had a rather easy time getting rid of the newer stuff I buy but that I don't wear. The problem has come with pieces my mother has given me. Not only is there sentimental value but mos of them are things that my mom would wear in her teens. I keep telling myself to keep them because maybe one day I'll have a daughter and she will want all that wonderful stuff.

Should I toss them or keep them?

18-08-2012
trendsetter

I don't really think I need to closet cleanout right now, just wish I could organize it better :-/

19-08-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimo View Post
I'm in the process of cleaning out my closet and its been a real pain. I've actually had a rather easy time getting rid of the newer stuff I buy but that I don't wear. The problem has come with pieces my mother has given me. Not only is there sentimental value but mos of them are things that my mom would wear in her teens. I keep telling myself to keep them because maybe one day I'll have a daughter and she will want all that wonderful stuff.

Should I toss them or keep them?
If you're not sure, then keep them, unless you have serious space constraints ...

04-10-2012
flaunt the imperfection

i also had my little cousin who just started college come over and pick out some stuff from my 'archives'...she was so happy to get some nice stuff and i was just as happy to see some of my favourite things get a new home/life...
most of them were new or next to new but they just didn't suit me for whatever reason...size, colour, too 'cutesy', etc...

I'm really glad we did that...
feels good...

i've already seen her wearing some riding pants style leggings and little booties that i gave her and she looked freaking adorable...
yay!

...:p

Last edited by softgrey; 04-10-2012 at 06:34 PM.
04-10-2012
i'm almost ready..

^can I be your little cousin please...

02-02-2013
front row

My closet needs a good cleaning, too. I'm SUCH a bad shopper, I buy loads and end up wearing the same things over and over again. If I think about the money I could have saved up... Which is the reason I have insane amounts of unworn things in my closet. I've recently been selling them on a local website, and the rest I donate. Actually got enough money to start shopping for my spring wardrobe!
But the closet is bursting with things still... I'll probably do a good spring cleaning next weekend, I can't wait to weed my closet. One thing I find that has helped me enormously is having a clothes rack on which I put the items that are my favourites and inspire me at the moment. I end up wearing only those, and my huge closet remains untouched!

07-02-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
i also had my little cousin who just started college come over and pick out some stuff from my 'archives'...she was so happy to get some nice stuff and i was just as happy to see some of my favourite things get a new home/life...
most of them were new or next to new but they just didn't suit me for whatever reason...size, colour, too 'cutesy', etc...

I'm really glad we did that...
feels good...

i've already seen her wearing some riding pants style leggings and little booties that i gave her and she looked freaking adorable...
yay!

...:p
That is one of the reasons having a babysister who is half a size smaller is so great. She can inherit the things I can't wear anymore, but refuse to part with:p Sometimes I steal things back

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet