How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2013
backstage pass

After purging my closet I came to a few conclusions:
  • I need more good quality pieces. I still have lots of cheap/low quality clothing from my student days (only a year and a half ago, but still ), and not enough quality items.
  • Only about 50% of my wardrobe consist of thing that I absolutely love.
  • My color scheme is working, but needs a bit more variation.
  • I might need some wardrobe planning to fill in the gaps (I hate planning ).

13-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

i think i'm going backwards...
i had a bag of stuff to take to good will but it was too heavy so i started splitting it into two bags to make it easier to carry...

while i was doing this, i was like---
oh...i don't really want to let go of that....
oh...i can fix that...
oh...other random reason why i am not giving something up...

......hilarious!

13-04-2013
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
After purging my closet I came to a few conclusions:
  • I need more good quality pieces. I still have lots of cheap/low quality clothing from my student days (only a year and a half ago, but still ), and not enough quality items.
  • Only about 50% of my wardrobe consist of thing that I absolutely love.
  • My color scheme is working, but needs a bit more variation.
  • I might need some wardrobe planning to fill in the gaps (I hate planning ).
I totally have the same problem. I buy pieces I fall in love with, but realize there are only a couple items I wear it with.

14-04-2013
V.I.P.

softgrey, your story is hilarious!

I finally got rid of a hell lot of jeans today. I had 23 pairs. Now I'm down to 7 :p I always find it the most difficult to throw away jeans because I only buy jeans that fit really well and even years later, no matter how ugly the wash and how out-of-date the cut is, they usually still look good on me. So I end up keeping stuff like bootcut 7FAM jeans from the early 00's that look hideous but still make my butt look great They're all gone now, finally. I also have a hard time giving up shoes and coats. I always want to sell them but usually don't feel like going through the hassle of putting them online or waiting for the next flea market where I could sell them. I'm doing a major closet purge right now because I'm moving this summer and it's scary how few items are left now that I'm only keeping things that are really great quality, that I love and regularly wear. I must have eliminated about 4/5 of what was in my closet!

14-04-2013
windowshopping

I started culling my wardrobe 1.5 years ago and I am still going!

Just recently I sold 67 items on ebay and made $2500... so I can totally recommend listing some of your better pieces if you have the time and inclination to do so. You can then put the money towards a few better quality items

The last time I culled I finally got rid of some of those pieces that I was holding on to for dear life... not sure why since I hadn't worn each for years. They are now out of my life and funnily I do not regret getting rid of them, if anything I feel relief.

Undertaking this culling process has also helped me become a more discerning shopper... I no longer get sucked into sales and often i don't impulse buy anymore. I go home to really think about the item and then the next day if I still want it I consider buying it. I also repeat to myself that the world will not end if I don't buy the item.

14-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ It's so true that items with tags still on in people's closets are so often sale tags.

Once I decide to get rid of something, I don't think I've ever changed my mind. It is my solution of last resort. Had a sweater that needed to go, and there's a drop box less than a block away, so I took a bag of things yesterday, including the sweater.

21-04-2013
front row

I think the price of that item definitely affects my decision making, I wouldn't think twice if its h&m and now become hideous, but if its expensive then very tough to let go and will frantically think of a way to justify keeping it!

24-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

^^i can understand that concept...

but everything i buy is something that i love, regardless of the pricetag, so that doesn't effect me so much...

*i also have this thing about 'reuse and recycle'...
save the planet and all that...

waste not, want not...etc....

i recently went to visit a family member in another (very conservative) state---
i had given her this trendy bag during the 80's for xmas or something...
and i had a matching bag...
when i visited, she still had the bag (never used) and gave it back to me...
and i still have mine from the 80's, so now i have a matching set...
i use it to keep my toiletries when i travel- it's perfect and awesome!
ha!

Last edited by softgrey; 24-04-2013 at 10:27 AM.
01-05-2013
scenester

I've done it, 3 bags later my wardrobe is looking a lot cleaner and more me- still have a huge pile of clothes I still love but need to try on to see if they still work for me- although there must be a reason I haven't worn them for months.

The bags are only in the spare room as I have some stuff in there to ebay but I'm gonna wait to sort it with my boyfriend cause he won't let anything sneak back into my wardrobe.

It was very hard to get rid of stuff when I can't afford to replace stuff but hey I also have 10 spare hangers now so no need to go spend money on those for now.

01-05-2013
tfs star

Woah! Thats a lot of Ebay listings waiting to be made It must feel so great to see your own wardrobe so much less cluttered too.

Spare hangers do not stay spare for long in my experience You will find something to hang, be it t-shirts or bras

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet