How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-07-2008
rising star

I've been in the process of clearing out a lot of clutter too, as I'm moving up to olympia from southern CA. So i'm hoping to fit everything into my car. Might not work out so well, but..
I looked under my bed...so many magazines! What I usually do is, I throw away all the months that aren't in the recent few. So it is july, and I've been throwing away everything that isn't April-July 2008. I came upon some 2006 ones, it's been awhile..
As far as the closet goes, it's pretty clean - rather spare, because I go through it often and throw out what I don't wear. I can't stand to have clothes hanging up that aren't my style anymore. I like the aesthetic of the colors/prints all working together when hung up, as they are in plain view (if that makes any sense); I don't have closet doors anymore.

15-07-2008
oh! darling

Don't throw anything away. Well, I do (when I'm short oncash).

My mother doesn't throw anything away. Anything she's not "feeling" she will store away. She'll get the box out maybe a few months later, and she will find something that she used to hate but with the changing fashions, she'll like it again.

Power to the 99%

^ Well, I used to not throw anything away ... that's why I have to have a clutter-clearing style now Although really anyone who lives in an affluent society needs one, if only to deal with what the post office is delivering ...

Seriously, though, clutter keeps you stuck and weighs you down ... it's not a good thing

15-07-2008
backstage pass

im moving out and im turning one of the small rooms into a closet im gonna have to take note from this thread thanks guys

15-07-2008
backstage pass

Yes, I'm guilty.

fashion insider

I'm trying to clean my closet, because I have to many clothes I dont wear. But I can't throw anything away, I always think maybe I need it one day.

16-07-2008
front row

My closet used to be stuffed but I downsized drastically. I really felt relieved.

the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Well, it's very sad ... pretty much for 20+ years, magazines came in but did not go out
My situation is similar, with newspapers in lieu of magazines. I'll read the articles, fold the paper, then toss it into an ever-growing stack. My hope is that someday, years from now, I can look back and reminisce on the big stories from long ago.

Still, I fear the pile will soon take over my house - newspapers come every day, after all.

Last edited by seanutbutter; 16-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.
18-07-2008
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I can't wait to move into our new house and clear all of our clutter... I have mild OCD when it comes to cleaning, lol.

Power to the 99%

^ Be careful not to create a fire hazard, seanut There is microfiche of all that stuff at the library you know, in case you get nostalgic

My sister is too, B, as I learned when she visited this past weekend & scrubbed things down for me It's amazing what she can do with vinegar

19-07-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Be careful not to create a fire hazard, seanut
Then I might create a newspaper headline of my own. :p

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Maybe you could do something similar to what my dad did, Seanut... He collected every front page of his favourite newspaper - from every Sunday for each year, and made a little book/album out of them He is a delightful man

Power to the 99%

^ That's a great idea, and very Peter Walsh

21-07-2008
the crying of humanity

That is a great idea! It'd save tons of space, and if I put the pages in plastic protective covers I wouldn't need to worry about getting newspaper ink on my hands. Thanks for the suggestion!

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Glad to help!

We're moving into our new house on Saturday, and I have my clutter clearing hat on! If we haven't used it and I can't see any need for it, it goes!

Tags
cleaning, closet