How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2008
Power to the 99%

Belowen just saved a few lives with a great suggestion ... now seanut's whole neighborhood won't be going up in smoke

Good luck with the move

22-07-2008
the crying of humanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Belowen just saved a few lives with a great suggestion ... now seanut's whole neighborhood won't be going up in smoke
My dad works at a fire station - you'd think I'd know better.

I'm happy to say that I just completed a major cleanup of my closet, something I probably should have done months ago. I came out with three overstuffed bags with items to donate, and one large bag with clothes to sell on eBay. Now I no longer need to hang two dresses on one hanger just to fit them inside! :p

Last edited by seanutbutter; 22-07-2008 at 05:32 PM.
09-08-2008
turn and face the strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomelovesjohn View Post
Sometimes even if something is beautiful if I'm not wearing it I think I should let it go back out into the universe for someone else to enjoy.
Most definitely! I love that.

I keep sorting through my clothing piles (theyve crawled out of my closet and into a room of their own next door) and I've made one tupperware container of things to give, so far. I find it's easy when you think back to the times you wore a specific item, and remember whether you felt confident or not. Those peg legged jeans that make you feel pudgy, toss. The tie-dyed button-down vest that you wished you could wear to a music festival one day but know you never will? toss. Then again, items that people have complimented you on, or well-made basics are good things I like to collect.

I'm normally excessively sentimental with clothes but I just tell myself I can make a mental snapshot to trigger those memories. And I keep SOME memorable pieces.

With paper, I like to go through magazines (unless every page is amazing) and cut out clippings to make a style collage. Sometimes I get enough clips to make "themes", i.e. Equestrian, so it becomes fun. I just don't know why I haven't thrown away notes from my first boyfriend, who I could care less about now.. I'll probably do that soon..

Last edited by haute femme; 09-08-2008 at 12:50 AM.
09-08-2008
front row

My situation is very frustrating and I need some help! Across my room in random corners I have 4 closets that are MINIATURE. And everything is so jumbled; some thigns in this closet, others are lost in that closet, its all a mess and I cannot stand it! Anybody have any ideas? Should I do jackets in one closet? Summer/Winter? I'm so hopeless!

turn and face the strange

^ I have multiple closets so I have this issue too. So far I've just put dresses (that I rarely wear) in one and winter jackets in another. Still a work in progress with the rest though..

03-12-2008
Not Thinking About Time

Purging your Closet
I just got rid of three trashbags full of clothes (dont worry I will donate it). This was such a relief. I got rid of anything that I have not worn this year and a bunch of my t-shirts. I think that going to college really made me want to do this because I realized that the clothes I was wearing in 9-10-11 grade was really tacky and I have a lot better taste now and that I have resolved to only wear dresses nice dark jeans and blazers and jackets no more hoddies and graphic tees. I also had to get rid of clothes so I could fit all my stuff in my closet. Has anyone else purged their closets recently and why? Next is the shoes but I dont know what I can part with so those are going to stay for now.

Portfolio Last FM
03-12-2008
windowshopping

I recently did about 2 months ago. I had a walk in closet, a smaller closet and a large dresser full of clothes, while still not being able to fit all my clothes in any of them. I knew I had to get rid of some, now I barely fill both closets. All the more reason to indulge in some more shopping, fill 'em back up!

04-12-2008
Aby
V.I.P.

I "purge" my closet at least twice a year during usually during transition seasons to get rid of the old or the damaged, the "it's not me" anymore items.

Since I do it, I tend to narrow down purchases to clothes/accessories I really need and not indulging into buying thousands of cute cheap tops although I haven't any bottoms to go with.

So I buy a little less but I'm more focused because I know exactly what I have in my closet.

That way, before I buy something, I picture looks I could achieve with what I already got.

04-12-2008
windowshopping

I did this a few months ago. I think the rule "if you haven't worn it for a year, toss it" works pretty well.

04-12-2008
front row

I've tried to purge my closet but as I'm doing it I keep thinking that the clothes I take out I'll wear again sometime...or I could use later, so I only end up with maybe a bag of clothes that I take out of my closet. It's exasperating! I think I need help

04-12-2008
Not Thinking About Time

Force yourself to do it. I have a very purgeing personality I am not sentimental at all so I can get rid of almost anything

Portfolio Last FM
05-12-2008
fashion icon

I move house a lot and theres nothing like a house move to make you purge your closet,theres always tonnes of casulities in a house move

I think I do it quite regularly,I probably take a bag to charity shops at least once every 6 weeks,and between that my sister gets first pickings on anything that she might like,I send her bags and stuff that I've outgrown all the time.

06-12-2008
rising star

my closet is too messy, i need like 9 ppl to help me. ahhhh

06-12-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from: sophia View Post
Force yourself to do it. I have a very purgeing personality I am not sentimental at all so I can get rid of almost anything
me too and i have

and now taking dressmaking courses
so i will only have good things in time

06-12-2008
rock-chic

Even though I am a hoarder, I still like a good clear out, maybe 2 - 3 times a year. As well as getting rid of 'Why did I buy that?' items, its also a chance to see what needs mending, can be customised and any gaps in my wardrobe. Other than anything really tatty, everything else goes to charity shops. As a very keen charity shopper myself, I know that one person's Fasion Disaster can be someone elses Style Success.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet