How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-12-2008
windowshopping

HipKitten, that's really good advice. I read that somewhere and now I do the same

Though I admit, it breaks my heart to get rid of clothes. I suck it up but I'd rather just have a massive closet instead of a little corner that I also store (basically) everything else I own in. Yesterday, I had to put paper towels in there!

22-03-2009
Power to the 99%

I've started setting aside 30 minutes a day to clear my backlog of paper clutter. I've cut it down considerably from what it used to be, but I feel it's time to make real inroads. I have two large baskets of papers left. I used to save my primary paper calendar each year, and I've decided I simply don't need to do that. This weekend, I've cleared clutter from 3 decades I still had a handful of phone lists from a company I worked for in the 90s, restaurant and department store receipts from the 90s, performance reviews from the same decade, a fashion section of the newspaper from the 80s (that could actually come in handy--not ), syllabuses and assignments from college ...

22-03-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaYorkin View Post
My situation is very frustrating and I need some help! Across my room in random corners I have 4 closets that are MINIATURE. And everything is so jumbled; some thigns in this closet, others are lost in that closet, its all a mess and I cannot stand it! Anybody have any ideas? Should I do jackets in one closet? Summer/Winter? I'm so hopeless!
What about doing your current seasonal capsule wardrobe in a single closet (the biggest if there is such a thing). Fall/winter in another, and coats and bulky things in the third. Have you already cleared out everything that should be cleared?

22-03-2009
backstage pass

When it comes to magazines, I have had my issues in the past. But I feel like if there's articles or images you want to keep around with the clutter there are 2 options. Cut them out and put them in one nice sturdy scrapbook or scan them and toss them. Although, yes, I know it's not the same thing as being able to flip thru the magazine in front of you.

22-03-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milada View Post
When it comes to magazines, I have had my issues in the past. But I feel like if there's articles or images you want to keep around with the clutter there are 2 options. Cut them out and put them in one nice sturdy scrapbook or scan them and toss them. Although, yes, I know it's not the same thing as being able to flip thru the magazine in front of you.
Great pun

Yes, I tear out the pages I'm interested in rather than keep the whole thing. Then I'll use parts (or all) of the pages on my inspiration board, or for reference.

22-03-2009
don't look down

Most of my clutter was kept in storage at my parents' house, and I never went back for long enough to go through it, but recently my mother lost all patience, and made me sort it out, so they could reclaim the space for themselves.

And it was strange to sift through the archive of my life - funny stuff from school, postcards from friends, photos of people I was in love with, birthday cards from relatives - seeing their handwriting made it seem like they were still alive - and years and years of bank statements that I had to shred by hand.

But the most invigorating thing was a massive clear-out of clothes, which has left me with a very simple selection - but conversely, having fewer items in my wardrobe means I'm more inclined to take really good care of each item, and to carefully consider what I'm buying when I add something to it.

My mother had to really nag me - I have the hoarding instinct and would file everything away for use in the future - but once I started decluttering, I felt the benefits of the process. I feel 'lighter'. I suppose they don't use the phrase 'spring cleaning' for nothing, it's giving yourself a fresh start.

Power to the 99%

^ Absolutely. Isn't it interesting that stuff you don't even live with can weigh you down?

You've probably been in a situation where you felt the urge to clear out, but it also works the other way--when you know something needs to change in your life & you want to hurry it along, you can jumpstart the process by clearing clutter.

PS I'm noticing they've made a lot of changes to how credit card numbers are masked in the last few years So my shredder has been seeing some action too ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 22-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.
23-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Great pun

Yes, I tear out the pages I'm interested in rather than keep the whole thing. Then I'll use parts (or all) of the pages on my inspiration board, or for reference.
Completely unintentional, teehee.

I definitely am genetically-prone to hoarding. It's like a disease in my family. No one has any sense of what to get rid of and what to keep and my mom lacks basic decorating sense. She has cat lady syndrome, minus the cats. My dad jokes that the more room she takes up with figurines and dolls and wreathes, the less surface area there is to clean. My family rarely dusts and vacuums so I absolutely hate being at home. My room is also teeny tiny with too much functionless "stuff."

Luckily I'm studying abroad currently, but when I get my own place (prob 2-3 yrs) I'm going to have read about decorating and organization ahead of time. The problem with me is that I love both antique decorations and modern minimalism. For the sake of space and saving money however, modern minimalism is more practical and neat. Plus I've always joked that when I'm older, I want a 3-room place. 1 big closet, a kitchen, and 1 room for everything else. Clothes shall be my only vice and I shall avoid the clutter. Unfortunately I'm currently a poor college student with massive loans and I am only accumulating bill statements and class notes instead of YSL Tributes and leather jackets. Siiigh. :p

23-03-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I hear you, it's a big problem. Btw, it's possible to do minimalism with antique or vintage stuff.

IMO there is likely to be clutter in a huge closet

23-03-2009
The future is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milada View Post
Scan & toss. That's what I've been doing with so many of mine. At first I thought I never could do it... but the more I do it the easier it gets & the better I feel about it. Just be sure to back up your image files. I keep a separate hard drive with organized folders so I can find images easily.

25-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I hear you, it's a big problem. Btw, it's possible to do minimalism with antique or vintage stuff.

IMO there is likely to be clutter in a huge closet
Although it's not an urgent concern because there's nothing I can do about it now, I'd love to see some examples of that for inspiration.

01-04-2009
rising star

CLOSET CLEAN OUT. How would you go about it?
I decided I have WAY too much stuff. I have began to pull out things to take to goodwill, but I still have no space in my closet. How do you go about cleaning out your closet, what sort of things do you look to get rid of or what are your rules for keeping clothes you haven't worn for a while?

01-04-2009
Power to the 99%

I get rid of things that are worn out, that aren't worth repairing, or that I don't feel good in. I don't worry about how long it is since I've worn something if I genuinely feel it can serve a useful purpose in the future. I also get rid of things that are no longer me.

02-04-2009
front row

When I clean my closet, I blast on some music, throw everything I haven't worn in the past year or months depending on how often I clean, and literally try everything on. If something dosen't fit or can't go with anything else in my closet I donate it or throw it away. I used to just take things out and place them in the back of my closet but come next year and they'd be in the exact same spot untouched. I've found that actually taking the effort to try it on or pair it with other items helps the cleaning out process. It can get lengthy but it's worth it.

04-04-2009
scenester

i am going to HAVE to do this. i dont know how, but it has to be done. i should post a pic onhere so all you peoplewill feel great about your closets haha

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cleaning, closet