How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2006
front row

Clothes for kids / children
what kinda clothes do you wanan dress them in I always think about it when I see baby clothes (not planning to have children any time soon!)

Like when I go to old navy, I get so excited over the adorable baby clothes ='] baby khaki blazers, its so adorable

What clothes would you dress em up in since it's really your choice hahaha

19-06-2006
V.I.P.

I'd make my own baby clothes

19-06-2006
front row

^^^ha thats so cool ='] Tushka's Bebe Fashions

19-06-2006
backstage pass

Overalls
Polo tees
Little sneakers!

I saw a woman with a little boy the other day- he was all dressed up in a navy blue blazer and khaki coloured pants with a button-down shirt...I wanted to grab him and plant smooches on both his cheeks

19-06-2006
V.I.P.

anything not designer, and a outfit which makes them look like a fruit like the pineapple one i use to have :p

19-06-2006
fashion icon

umm i dont want kids but im so buying stuff for other peoples, i love those so cute party dresses for litle girls you no the long floncy ones with bows and all that jazz, not the tacky ones but the ones like my grandma made me they were so cute. and baby booties are so cute, and mittens i love those. my sisters and brothers babies are going to have huge wardrobes from me

27-09-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovLau
what kinda clothes do you wanan dress them in I always think about it when I see baby clothes (not planning to have children any time soon!)

Like when I go to old navy, I get so excited over the adorable baby clothes ='] baby khaki blazers, its so adorable

What clothes would you dress em up in since it's really your choice hahaha
your so cute McGovLau, you say the most adorable things.i think it about all the tie, i cant wait to start making babies x

fashion icon

I'm going to buy nice clothing for my kids. I want them to look like little adults.

dlg

29-09-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyslittlegrl8
I'm going to buy nice clothing for my kids. I want them to look like little adults.

dlg
your kids are going to be so cute and stylish x

trendsetter

Oh, thanks! That line by Beyonce, . Hers is an extreme version, but I've noticed that some parents dress their kids in a very grown-up way. It's ironic in regard to those of us who find inspiration in the modesty and innocence of children's clothes.

Child-specific fashion is only a recent phenomenon (last century or so, I could be wrong), just as the concept of having a 'childhood' is recent too. Maybe adult-like dressing of children dominates most of history, but the difference now is that adult clothes are far more sexualized; it's jarring to see a child mimicking that, as with Beyonce's line.

www.brandeo.com

www.mediastudiesendicott.wordpress.com
Las Meninas (1656) by Diego Velasquez
The little girl is sporting the same attire (and same grown-up gaze) as the adults surrounding her.

06-03-2009
front row

^ That, is horrifying.

06-03-2009
front row

My sister wears a lot of Little Marc (a Marc Jacobs kids line) and Boden

06-03-2009
tfs star

I'm not familar with brands, but I know I prefer to dress any children I might have as a child. If I ever dressed them in anything that made them look like a little adult, I prefer something that doesn't look anything like those previously posted pictures. I also don't care for buying a daughter things that say things like Princess and especially Diva. Actually Princess wouldn't bother me as much if it wasn't for the fact that people perpetuate the concept of a spoiled pampered princess. My idea of what a princess should be was very different when I was a kid, especially since the Disney princesses whose movies I watched and loved were in part considered beautiful because they were actually kind.

Last edited by ChloeFrancoise; 06-03-2009 at 10:10 PM.
07-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeFrancoise View Post
My idea of what a princess should be was very different when I was a kid, especially since the Disney princesses whose movies I watched and loved were in part considered beautiful because they were actually kind.
That's a very sweet observation. I recently spent a few days with my cousin and her newborn, and learned a lot about dressing babies. We went shopping for baby clothes one day, and there is an important practical component to it, that I quickly discovered many children's brands overlook.
- Most of the onesies we found had classic buttons, which were useless to my cousin. You have to change the baby so often (diapers, perspiration) that anything but click-on buttons (right term?) is too time-consuming.
- Some onesies had side zippers, fancy appliques, or textured fabric all the way around, which is uncomfortable because doctors now say babies should sleep on their side.
- Lastly, you're supposed to dress the baby in various layers, so that it's easier to control their body temperature, and lots of the clothes, while adorable, did not layer comfortably.

Anyone have more advice? I have such baby fever, thanks to my little niece.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 07-03-2009 at 05:52 AM.
07-03-2009
fashion icon

^For my latest nephew who was born in December,I bought a bear sleeper suit,complete with hood with ears More for my own pleasure

I'm not a baby/child person in the slightest but I would always dress my children as 'innocently' as I could. I agree with ChloeFrancoise over childrens clothes with words like diva on,not happening on my children! I love it when I see thick colourful tights on small girls,it reminds me of how my Mum used to dress me,with a matching coloured cardigan or jumper,with a crazy pair of dolly shoes with a buckle . There is NO way that I would dress a daughter in clothes from the Beyonce line,the children in the adverts can't be older than what,4? They already look like little adults and it's just wrong.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
children, clothes, kids