How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-06-2012
fashion insider

I think black and brown can look good, but maybe not if you wore black head to toe and used a brown belt. I think if the balance is fine then it can look good.

And concerning Navy/black I have this really old book ("A guide to elegance") that says that it is one of the most chic color combinations out there! "as proven by Yves saint Laurent" or something. So if a person says black/navy is a no-no, his or her fashion sense dates back pre-1960s.

03-06-2012
scenester

I have no rules when talking about colors. I like mixing them.

Last edited by Gigi Lamoroso; 03-06-2012 at 02:10 PM.
03-06-2012
I don't know

I'm like most here.. No rules. For me it's more about shades than the actual colors. And I'm with Psylocke in that I try to avoid gold and silver together, though I have broken that rule as well.

04-06-2012
trendsetter

These days i mainly wear non-colors (black, white, grey), but when I wear colour I look at the attire instead of thinking of rules. I wear black clothes with a brown bag all the time, and have also worn navy with black on several occasions, thinking it looked just fine.

05-06-2012
tfs star

The only rule I follow is that it should look good.
The success of mixes all depends on the texture, hue, saturation and balance.

But I agree about heeding cultural contexts about Halloween, Christmas, flags etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I won't wear red and purple together. I hated it in the 80s, and I haven't changed my mind.
Ohhh palest lavender/lilac with just an accent of almost vermilion lacquer red is one of the most magical color combinations out there...
Like a palest lilac linen dress with cherry red nails and lips

Last edited by Melisande; 05-06-2012 at 02:18 PM.
05-06-2012
fashion insider

i couldn't live without color in my wardrobe! i don't adhere to any color mixing 'rules' and love to mix and match colors within different prints....bring on the black and yellow 'bumble bee' color connotations . i wear a marigold yellow sweater with black diamond print on the sides, which i adore; 'star trek' comparisons from co-workers be damned! as long it looks and feels good to the wearer, that's all that really matters, imo.

that said i generally keep the accessories and layering of garments to a minimum when i do have a lot going on in terms of prints/colors. bright primary colors set against a backdrop of black is my favorite color combo, ever. some examples from my own wardrobe:

close-up of my favorite dress print and favorite sweater cuff detailing:
color.jpg sweater.jpg
my scans

also it's good to know which colors or specific shades of colors suit you; i.e. which brighten your complexion, brings out your features or adversely wash you out and make you look tired. from those basic color building blocks, the possibilities are endless.

here's one of the most genius examples of unexpected color combos in a fashion editorial: chocolate brown and powder blue.

" The Taming of the Tan "
Harper's Bazaar May 1996
Ph: Patrick Demarchelier
source: philA @ bellazon

Posted by pipoca

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
The only rule I follow is that it should look good.
The success of mixes all depends on the texture, hue, saturation and balance.

But I agree about heeding cultural contexts about Halloween, Christmas, flags etc.

Ohhh palest lavender/lilac with just an accent of almost vermilion lacquer red is one of the most magical color combinations out there...
Like a palest lilac linen dress with cherry red nails and lips
I will admire it on you

I have worn orange and black before ... I've owned at least two orange dresses. I considered the Halloween thing, and then went for it ...

I almost never wear green, but I do decorate with red and green ... definitely possible to do without evoking Christmas.

Red/white/blue, no problem

PS Re coworker comments, I've gotten a lot of 'Dorothy' for my red shoes ... hasn't stopped me, I love red shoes!

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 05-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.
06-06-2012
V.I.P.

i have some platinum jewelry on my left hand...

but i recently bought this pamela love bracelet in brass. fashiolista

do you think it will be less clashing if i just kept the cuff on my right hand? or maybe no one will really care...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg penta1.jpg (25.8 KB, 2 views)

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post

do you think it will be less clashing if i just kept the cuff on my right hand? or maybe no one will really care...

What a beautiful bracelet! I want!!

Do you mean platinum rings??
I'd say it would depend on the style of the rings.

06-06-2012
What fresh hell is this.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post

Nice!
I actually think it would look quite cool with the platinum jewellery on one hand and the brass bracelet on the other. To some extent I think it could create an effect similar to the effect asymmetry creates.
Especially if your platinum jewellery are somewhat delicate.? In my head the clashing of the colours and the 'size' of the jewellery creates friction in a good way.

In general I think complimentary (or almost complimentary) colours are hard to pull off. e.g. red and green. But I do think that combining more off beat nuances of the colours in question provides a more 'neutral' look. I also think that it often looks more original. e.g. poison green and wine red.

Last edited by Tinetush; 06-06-2012 at 05:30 PM.
09-06-2012
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
On some tv-show I saw a stylist claiming that 'blue and green should never be seen'.
Maybe I've seen the same show, I can never wear blue and green together (though my wardrobe is almost basically black, white and green so it's not very hard). And when I see people wearing blue and yellow together, I always start think of the swedish flag!

Last edited by Darling_Myy; 09-06-2012 at 04:56 AM.
09-06-2012
V.I.P.

It depends on the shades for most color combinations, but yellow+black is a definite no-go for me...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling_Myy View Post
Maybe I've seen the same show, I can never wear blue and green together
I wore that so often this winter (blue sweater + military jacket or blue coat, mint green sweater + dark blue parka). It looks alright to me.. not difficult at all.

Agreed on yellow and black.. I find yellow in general to be hard to wear, even on accessories, it must be a really nice shade of yellow (like mustard) and the garment has to have good proportion, and I don't think it looks good on all body types. I think gray is yellow's best companion.. maybe cream. And yeah, yellow + green = Brazilian flag, yellow + blue = Swedish flag.. can't stand that .. I find nationalistic combinations on purpose tacky in general, especially when you're not attending a specific event that requires that and are just wearing it to work or when doing the groceries.

I always combine silver + golden jewelry by the way ... all my bracelets and watch are silver, but earrings are sometimes golden, same for necklaces. Lately I've been loving the idea of a small golden cross in one ear and a long silver chain (as an earring) on the other. Probably doesn't any sense, but yeah.

Last edited by MulletProof; 09-06-2012 at 03:57 PM.
10-06-2012
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darling_Myy View Post
Maybe I've seen the same show, I can never wear blue and green together
In the UK that saying goes: "blue and green should not be seen without a colour inbetween".

Even with a colour inbetween, I don't think I can get on board with the two together.

I like tan and black together, but not really dark brown. I do like navy and black together though, especially a really deep midnight blue.

02-07-2012
rock-chic

I think it is entirely up to the individual what colours they wear together and it is more shade and texture that is more important. I have a pair of russet brown suede boots which I often wear with black jeans, but Mr Feline tells me black and brown should not be worn together and I disagree with him. I think it is something he got from his mother as I have never seen her in black and brown. What I find harder is wearing different shades of the same colour in one outfit. For instance, the other day I couldn't decide if dusky pink boots looked good or bad with a darker pink jacket. The rest of my outfit was black. In the end I wore them and I think it worked.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clash, color, theory