How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

02-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feline View Post
What I find harder is wearing different shades of the same colour in one outfit. For instance, the other day I couldn't decide if dusky pink boots looked good or bad with a darker pink jacket. The rest of my outfit was black. In the end I wore them and I think it worked.
I think so too. I think it's really about the right hue, for example there is a blueish green and a more yellowish green and they clash more than a lighter blue-green together with a darker blue-green. If that makes any sense :p

31-07-2012
scenester

No portuguese man could combine red and green without being associated with the national flag. I was taught that «blue and green should never be seen» as well, and although I don't exactly care for pre-established rules regarding style matters and always trust my personal taste instead, I still can't bring myself to wear those two together.
I always had a hard time combining brown with other colors as well, which made me get rid of every single one of my brown pieces.

I really like blue and grey, especially in the Winter. Black and blood red are a current obsession of mine (which is odd, considering that I've never been one for red and now I'm obsessed), but I'm always afraid of ending up looking like a Marvel character.
Whenever I need to look particularly polished, I usually go with the classic dark suit/white shirt/black tie dynamic, but after a few days of formal events it gets incredibly dull. A few days ago, I decided to take a risk and combine a black suit with a blood red shirt. However, as soon as I got out of the house, I realized that the suit was actually dark blue - and after a brief moment of panic, I realized that it actually worked perfectly well.
I'm glad it did, because I was way too late to go back and change anyway.

Last edited by Didacus; 31-07-2012 at 01:28 PM.
31-07-2012
V.I.P.

i think the only colors i don't really mix are black and brown...

01-08-2012
scenester

I think navy and black can look good together but my problem is when the black is faded. I would never wear too many pastel colors together cause than one looks childish or lie a giant Easter egg.

01-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ I loved how Phillip Lim mixed up to 3 pastels for this summer and it still looked lovely (probably because the materials are so soft and the cuts are all quite minimal).

[stylebistro]

I also think it was pretty smart to use white as either top or bottom cause it works as a nice canvas to balance things out and not look overly trendy.

scenester

I think the white did a good clash with the pastels. That's one of the occasions when I will say pastel works.

I guess when I talked about the all over pastels I was thinking of the Clueless head to toe pastel outfit.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clash, color, theory