How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-08-2006
trendsetter

I think the epitome of cool has to do with marveling at someone or something in it's rawest, most natural form. It definitely has to do with not trying, the action but un-attempt at some thing or behavior. I have no idea if what I said made sense. Aloofness can be very cool to me

29-08-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
For the life of me, I can't exactly describe it.....but I know it when I see it!

If ever there was a more subjective word!
I agree...I think it's something that just depends on the person and their tastes, but I know my version of cool when I see it also!

29-08-2006
scenester

my pleasure, softgrey!

29-08-2006
flaunt the imperfection

cool......

:p

29-08-2006
V.I.P.

cool to me has always been 'arty' and 'edgy' though i hate those words..

front row

to me, cool is about pushing ones own boundaries and those of society, whilst retaining both its own and your own respect. its like a fine mix of confidence and nonchelance.

30-08-2006
kus
front row

i see cool as a recently parolled cat
strolling down alley with dead sparrow in its mouth
a carpe diem boot on its left hind leg clunking along

also, isn't it a brand of cigarettes.
must research.

30-08-2006
front row

very interesting discussion.

for me, true coolness its about a creativity and individual personal style with quirkiness but still situated away from 'eccentricity'.

its also dropped with utter nonchalence and charisma. you can get all the gear; latest trainers, hip clobber etc but if you look studied and self-conscious, you're gonna be pretty far from 'cool'.

its such a cliche, but kate moss can look utterly 'cool', in my opinion and i think its with the nonchalence and the slightly dishevelled look that she sports.

there is a pic of her in her battered vivienne pirate boots, an army green parka coat and big greige scarf that i used to think typified london chick cool, at least at that time.

30-08-2006
Melancholy

me. Im cool.

30-08-2006
front row

if you think you're cool, you probably ain't

Last edited by fash ho'; 30-08-2006 at 04:38 AM.
30-08-2006
front row

being confident and not giving a care in the world. throwing caution to the wind, and not fretting so much.. just go with the flow. at the same time, knowing you are powerful yet small. and not being afraid to be you.

30-08-2006
chaos reigns

"Cool" is anything that I see/hear and immediately makes me envious!

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fash ho'
if you think you're cool, you probably ain't
I totally agree!

01-09-2006
tfs star

Cool cannot be defined. Is something you recognize when you see it but you cannot set limits or guidelines to it.
Sometimes bold is cool, but sometimes timid is cool too. Sometimes innovative is cool, but sometimes classic is cool too.
I think planification ruins coolness because it limits one´s impulses and make them smaller, somehow manipulated. But I think cool people give great thought to what they wear, but they remain open to last minute changes that can make a difference. Also they remain open minded to change a point of view, they´re wide open to let all the new ideas come inside instead of remaining always the same. These changes can be dramatic or very subtle, but like great actors they don´t allow themselves to be forever playing the same role. They´re always battling against the limits and trying new things, even if they can make mistakes. Those are good mistakes, because they´re mistakes you make in your way to discover new things.

But what I think is NOT cool is trying to be noticed by the way you dress or they way you act. That´s just lame.

Cool people just change because they need it, because they find new things, new ideas and they embrace them, but not because they have the obligation to be different.

And sometimes cool people change in order to remain themselves, they evolve, they develop new sensibilities and they live their lives up to them.

01-09-2006
Eat me, drink me

I love Diorling's answer because I think it is the essence of what cool is. It catches your eye, not in an alarming/tacky way, and you like what you see. Therefore, you're drawn to it and want to emulate it, or at least you recognize that you would like to.

Cool also conveys a certain sense of self when it comes to dressing; when a personality shines through the person's outfit choices, it's easier to be drawn to that, which is why I think many have cited 'confidence' as an important word here. But I also agree that there's some level of mystery in this concept, and it makes it hard to define.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cool, define