How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2009
windowshopping

I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?

17-05-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I have never tried to minimize, so I'm sorry I can't help I also feel that you can always spot a minimizer bra ... they create an odd shape that always draws my eye. Which I suspect is not the effect the wearers had in mind I would just wait till the dress comes back from the tailor.

18-05-2009
Not Thinking About Time

Sere if you cant see the bra you might want to use a sports bra they can take you down a size I have done that before just 100% make sure you cant see it through the dress or the straps dont show because they are often at odd angles.

Portfolio Last FM
20-05-2009
trendsetter

I have a question that I don't know if this make sense to you but I will ask anyway:
Despite the fact that I am Asian (from Hong Kong), I have a rather large/wide frame in my community (5'3ish, around 120-125 pound max, a rectangular shape because I gain some weight in the middle; medium and small size).
In Canada I don't have too many difficult to choose clothes; but now im back in Hong Kong and it is very difficult for me to buy clothes. Most of the clothes are made for people with delicate frames, so when I try them on I feel like im either fat or the clothes is going to explode when the size actually fits me and if I try a large size, it will be too loose.
What should I do?

front row

I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!
I have this one on the way: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...5380002&vid=-1

I tried it on in the store but ordered online for the tall size. It felt pretty good - it's substantial, with a little bit of stretch.

26-07-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra View Post
I have this one on the way: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...5380002&vid=-1

I tried it on in the store but ordered online for the tall size. It felt pretty good - it's substantial, with a little bit of stretch.
Thank you for the wonderfully quick reply! For some reason I've never even thought of Banana Republic for pencil skirts, even though they do such perfect basics.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sera_ View Post
I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?
Wacoal's seamless minimizer is the best. There are a couple of others with names that are similar but this is the one: http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-85154-...izer-Bra.shtml

26-07-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post

I have one from MaxMara that I like ... I have also had a wool knit one in the past.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
curvy, thread