How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
17-05-2009
  226
windowshopping
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: London/Monaco/Paris
Gender: femme
Posts: 5
I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?

  Reply With Quote
 
17-05-2009
  227
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,468
^ I have never tried to minimize, so I'm sorry I can't help I also feel that you can always spot a minimizer bra ... they create an odd shape that always draws my eye. Which I suspect is not the effect the wearers had in mind I would just wait till the dress comes back from the tailor.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
18-05-2009
  228
Not Thinking About Time
 
from: sophia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,754
Sere if you cant see the bra you might want to use a sports bra they can take you down a size I have done that before just 100% make sure you cant see it through the dress or the straps dont show because they are often at odd angles.

__________________

Portfolio Last FM
  Reply With Quote
20-05-2009
  229
trendsetter
 
jjbunny79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: İstasyon İnsanları
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,319
I have a question that I don't know if this make sense to you but I will ask anyway:
Despite the fact that I am Asian (from Hong Kong), I have a rather large/wide frame in my community (5'3ish, around 120-125 pound max, a rectangular shape because I gain some weight in the middle; medium and small size).
In Canada I don't have too many difficult to choose clothes; but now im back in Hong Kong and it is very difficult for me to buy clothes. Most of the clothes are made for people with delicate frames, so when I try them on I feel like im either fat or the clothes is going to explode when the size actually fits me and if I try a large size, it will be too loose.
What should I do?

__________________
pm me for facebook's e-mail
  Reply With Quote
26-07-2009
  230
front row
 
timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Gender: femme
Posts: 214
I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!

__________________
http://www.111wpm.com/
  Reply With Quote
26-07-2009
  231
front row
 
allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!
I have this one on the way: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...5380002&vid=-1

I tried it on in the store but ordered online for the tall size. It felt pretty good - it's substantial, with a little bit of stretch.

  Reply With Quote
26-07-2009
  232
front row
 
timber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Gender: femme
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by allegra View Post
I have this one on the way: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...5380002&vid=-1

I tried it on in the store but ordered online for the tall size. It felt pretty good - it's substantial, with a little bit of stretch.
Thank you for the wonderfully quick reply! For some reason I've never even thought of Banana Republic for pencil skirts, even though they do such perfect basics.

__________________
http://www.111wpm.com/
  Reply With Quote
26-07-2009
  233
front row
 
allegra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sera_ View Post
I appear to have a rather dire problem! Having what I suppose would be classed an hourglass kind of shape with tiny waist but also with bust & hip sizes 10 inches larger at all times (even when I diet haha). I recently bought a gorgeous vintage 50's shirt dress - however very unfortunately its a bit tight over the bust to a discomforting extent. I was hoping one of you ladies had some tips for temporarily minimising the bust (preferably of the DIY short term variety) before I find time to seek professional adjustment...or possibly just a minimising bra?
Wacoal's seamless minimizer is the best. There are a couple of others with names that are similar but this is the one: http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-85154-...izer-Bra.shtml

  Reply With Quote
26-07-2009
  234
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by timber View Post
I'm on a search for a pencil skirt that isn't made out of stark heavy material - something that I can wear in the fall and winter and skims over thighs and hips.

Any suggests? I know that pencil skirts are one of the staples for curvy/hourglass shapes, but I've tried dozens on, and they look fine when I'm standing there, but weird when I actually walk around; unyielding to the feminine form!
I have one from MaxMara that I like ... I have also had a wool knit one in the past.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
curvy, thread
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.