How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-08-2005
backstage pass

uhh... anything stretchy will do.. baggy is not good.. they'll make u look fatter!..

18-08-2005
front row

do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.

18-08-2005
front row

The pictures in this thread that are suppose to represent "curvy" must be a joke.

18-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo_Classic
The pictures in this thread that are suppose to represent "curvy" must be a joke.
I don't think they are meant to represent curvy per se ... simply styles that work for curvy figures, which of course vary a lot. Feel free to post your own pics

18-08-2005
front row

Oh thank you, Fashionista-ta. I was wondering.

19-08-2005
backstage pass

yea... cupkate... i have the same problem.. i have little muscle but mostly fat in my calf areas...and i can't buy ne boots becuase i can't zip them up!

19-08-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkate
do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.
YES! Years and years of horseback riding did me in. I'm pretty much at my ideal weight now, and my calves aren't shrinking at all, so I just have to religiously try every boot that I buy, and hope that something will work. My best suggestion is to try wearing nylon socks under your boots There's a brand called "Sox-Trot" that runs about $10 (really outrageous patterns, too!), and they're made for wearing under riding boots. They might help streamline everything a bit. They work nicely for me. I know marystack.com carries them...just do a search for "socks".

19-08-2005
front row

^thanks for the info!

my brothers wife is the same way. she's tiny but her legs are super built (she does eventing and dressage)

19-08-2005
trendsetter

Years and years of dancing for me and my calves
Just go to a shoe repair place and they can usually stitch in a piece of elastic to make the top part of the boot wider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlucky
YES! Years and years of horseback riding did me in. I'm pretty much at my ideal weight now, and my calves aren't shrinking at all, so I just have to religiously try every boot that I buy, and hope that something will work. My best suggestion is to try wearing nylon socks under your boots There's a brand called "Sox-Trot" that runs about $10 (really outrageous patterns, too!), and they're made for wearing under riding boots. They might help streamline everything a bit. They work nicely for me. I know marystack.com carries them...just do a search for "socks".

19-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugo
Years and years of dancing for me and my calves
Just go to a shoe repair place and they can usually stitch in a piece of elastic to make the top part of the boot wider.
Holy SH*T, you are genius! Thanks for the tip.

19-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkate
Me. I'm prone to muscular legs (not just fat) and having played handball didn't help much, same with karate and pretty much any other sport I tried... they just keep getting wider (not just due to weight gain).

Nowadays no kind of zip up boots fit me...

But thanks a ton for the tip with the elastic sewn in!

AND I bought a cheap, really pretty blue light knit jacket to wrap around (H&M)... I think it really flatters me (with a plain white tank top) and I'm really into "dancer inspired clothes"

Oh, and I find pretty scarves (even or especially broad, thick ones, knit maybe or with a nice pattern) a really great accessory, not just for us curvies

Last edited by aquamarine; 19-08-2005 at 09:18 AM.
19-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Adding to brands that work well ... Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc. I posted elsewhere about a couple quality issues with my new Marc Jacobs jacket. However, a guy I talked to at the LA store once told me the clothes were generous "up top" and that he has other curvy clients, and this is quite true. I was actually quite amused, in the pic of my jacket on saks.com, the jacket is all buttoned up and just hangs on the model & looks quite bad if you ask me--she looks like a scarecrow in it. Looks much better with an actual body underneath, I'm thinking

There was another thread about clothes looking better on you when you're smaller, and I was reminded of this time I went shopping with my sister. She was previously bigger than me, then lost a significant amount of weight so that we now wore the same size. We'd gone shopping and she'd bought a couple dresses, and I asked if I could try one of them on when we got home--I was just curious, I hardly ever wear dresses. (Scaasi, btw.) When I did, I looked much better in it than she did because I had curves. Boy, was she mad Some designers *do* make their clothes to flatter a woman's body. I haven't worn him lately, but I've previously been really impressed with Michael Kors' fit. Last I knew anyway, he uses three different true-to-life fit models, and drapes in the actual target fabric, no matter how expensive it is. All that work really shows when you put it on.

19-08-2005
backstage pass

lol.. thats nice..but.. i can't afford marc jacobs or even afford nething from saks.. lol... i'm 18..n the only thing i can afford is... triple five soul!... living in canada sux.. cuz everything is so much more expensive..n u have to pay 15% tax... so it makes it all th e worse... wen i go on bebe website... a jacket may cost like... 55...but...here...in toronto.. it costs like.. 100.

19-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhphan
lol.. thats nice..but.. i can't afford marc jacobs or even afford nething from saks.. lol... i'm 18..n the only thing i can afford is... triple five soul!... living in canada sux.. cuz everything is so much more expensive..n u have to pay 15% tax... so it makes it all th e worse... wen i go on bebe website... a jacket may cost like... 55...but...here...in toronto.. it costs like.. 100.
eBay

19-08-2005
front row

15% tax? SAY IT AIN'T SO!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
curvy, thread