How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-08-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
I don't think they are meant to represent curvy per se ... simply styles that work for curvy figures, which of course vary a lot. Feel free to post your own pics
Yes, thank you Fashionistata, absolutely. I just posted them as ideas of styles which may work for curvier figures......fitted waist, wrap-tops, fit-and-flare-silhouettes, etc...well, specifically those which work for me ...and yes everybody, please feel free to post pics!

I *totally* agree that some clothes like Marc Jacobs simply look better when filled out topographically, so to speak...when I lost weight a lot of my clothes (yes, like my MJ jacket!) looked a bit "disappointed" on me... Impressive about Kors!

I love everyone's ideas!! I cant wait to try some of them.

19-08-2005
wiser now

I found an article that I thought might be appropriate here (news.com.au)

Return of the curve

August 19, 2005

CURVES are back in vogue.

Today's generation of young Australian women appear to have a healthier body image than those a decade ago, a survey suggests.

Newspoll studied more than 500 women aged 18-35 across Australia, finding 89 per cent liked their body "a little" or "a lot".

Asked to pick the perfect female body, most chose the fuller figures of Catherine Zeta-Jones and Beyonce Knowles. Victoria Beckham came last.

"It seems that the young women are rejecting the stick insect kind of really thin ideal," Sydney University lecturer and study founder Jenny O'Dea said.

"I think that's an interesting, positive trend."

The women clearly rejected the dangerously underweight Beckham, a former Spice Girl.

"It does suggest Australian women's body ideal may be approaching what would be considered to be a more healthy, normal, curvy weight which is great news," Dr O'Dea said .

Just a decade ago Dr O'Dea, a nutritionist, found eight out of 10 young women wanted to be slimmer.

"The most concerning finding back then was that 42 per cent of the already clinically underweight young women wanted to lose more weight," she said.

"That was a shocking study. This new research does suggest that a more natural, realistic figure may be more desired by both women and men." Dr O'Dea said studies she had done on men over 15 years had consistently found most chose a larger body as the ideal for women

fashion insider

^I'm very glad to hear it! I think that ppl are learning to be more satisfied with their bodies and that is (IMO) how it's supposed to be.

scenester

I've definitely had good luck with Marc Jacobs. I'm definitely thicker in the hip than in my waist, and his pants have really fit me well. No gapping in the back like with most everything else.

20-08-2005
trendsetter

Interesting article Duleeshab, I think men have always liked some meat on the bones. I read somewhere that for women, being thin has more to do with how they look in clothes than how they look naked!

29-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkate
do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.
J Crew has boots in extended calf sizes.

29-08-2005
front row

Recently I got a couple of button-down shirts from Banana Republic that are very flattering - I got many compliments on the fit.

I've heard Club Monaco pants are good but have never tried them.

29-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincat
Interesting article Duleeshab, I think men have always liked some meat on the bones. I read somewhere that for women, being thin has more to do with how they look in clothes than how they look naked!
It's definitely all about the clothes.

When I was a size 6/8 I never had to worry about clothes. I liked how I looked in everything and I could buy supercheap jeans, supercheap shirts, anything for $10-50!

Suddenly when I gained a bit of weight (10-15 pounds) and I was a size 8/10 EVERYTHING changed. Clothes that were sexy or flattering or even just NICE were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to find. The super-long shirt trend has kind of helped that but seriously, it's so hard. I have to spend a LOT of money now to buy jeans that might look okay.

The REAL reason that I want to lose weight is to look better in clothes.

If someone who is only size 8/10 finds it really hard to find cool clothes THERE IS SOMETHING VERY, VERY WRONG.

I hate it!

29-08-2005
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oolie coco
It's definitely all about the clothes.

When I was a size 6/8 I never had to worry about clothes. I liked how I looked in everything and I could buy supercheap jeans, supercheap shirts, anything for $10-50!

Suddenly when I gained a bit of weight (10-15 pounds) and I was a size 8/10 EVERYTHING changed. Clothes that were sexy or flattering or even just NICE were soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to find. The super-long shirt trend has kind of helped that but seriously, it's so hard. I have to spend a LOT of money now to buy jeans that might look okay.

The REAL reason that I want to lose weight is to look better in clothes.

If someone who is only size 8/10 finds it really hard to find cool clothes THERE IS SOMETHING VERY, VERY WRONG.

I hate it!
I agree--this is not a bizarre size--it's average or a bit less. I have honestly always had a relatively hard time finding clothes, though, not so much because of size, but because so many are just bland, boring, same old same old. (Although when I was a 2/4, the smallest size often wasn't small enough.) I want clothes that are interesting, not just a fig leaf equivalent. And of course matters are further complicated when you grow up and are no longer shaped like a human clothes hanger. The other thing I've noticed ... no matter what size I am, that size is very often sold out. We should have a new Murphy's law for this

Thank God for Lycra, though ... that's something that wasn't in circulation when I started buying clothes, and it's a wonderful thing for curves.

30-08-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupkate
do any of you have problems with boots fitting your calves? years of soccer and tennis made my legs extra muscular. i just got a new pair of boots and they won't zip all the way. hopefully since i'm losing weight i'll lose some in my legs, but i really don't feel like i have much fat there.
Yes...I have this too.And my calves are pure muscle...I cycle and run a lot.I like the shape of my calves;I don't want goats's shins,but it seems that boot manufacturers don't agree!!!

Are you talking about your Chloe boots cupkate?I have ordered the two-tone ones in a full size up in order to try and avoid this problem...hope the foot isn't too big now!!

30-08-2005
front row

i wish they were the chloe boots! lucky you.
i got my boots a half size up and they foot isn't too big. so hope yours isn't either.

welcome back.

17-11-2005
kem
scenester

I luvvvv this thread!! So what else would anyone suggest?? Im trying to change it up a bit . I usually wear just jeans and a shirt and runners , nothing spectacular at all. I have a pear shape size 8-10 .

17-11-2005
Power to the 99%

Hi, kem, I wear a lot of separates & have actually always dressed that way. Knit tops and sweaters are forgiving if you're curvy on top. One of the things I like to do is to find a statement skirt and then layer lightweight (often silk) sweaters on top.

If you like jeans, have you tried some of the ones that are a bit more embellished? I'm not comfortable in jeans, but it may be that you're not comfortable in skirts.

How would you like to dress?

17-11-2005
kem
scenester

curvy
I would actually like to start wearing skirts, i wear jeans all the time and its depressing. I am also a college student so im semi poor ( not for long ) . I would like to dress more feminine.

17-11-2005
Power to the 99%

OK ... good skirt shapes ... I like long A-line, long narrow, skirts that flare toward the bottom, godet is good ...

You might check out Patagonia ... not only an ethical company, but their stuff wears like iron and isn't that expensive ... I have a couple skirts from there that I wear alot.

I also have pretty good luck at Ann Taylor/Ann Taylor Loft, and I consider those prices reasonable ...

Tell us if we're getting warm

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
curvy, thread