How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-04-2006
windowshopping

men also have a longer rise on their pants, for obvious reasons.

30-04-2006
front row

if the length from your knee to ankle is longer than from your knee to hip then you have the illusion of long legs whether the total length is or not. Just something I remotely remember my ballet teacher saying...I have quite long thighs in porportion to my lower legs and it really irks me :p

30-04-2006
front row

I'm 5'9 and usually buy "34 inseam in jeans

fashion insider

almost 5"8, and 33"/33"and a half legs. But I feel like they are short and, talking about proportions, compared to the rest of my body they are what I have biggest. (and I always was wondering about the proportions about thigh measurements... Does anyone know?)

18-04-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trista View Post
I'm 5'6" and even though I am pear-shaped and thus have extremely short legs, I fake them being long and people say that they look long. Just think long.
*thinks long*

My inseam is about 31" and I'm about 5'8.5... Wish they were 2 inches longer, I look so stubby

18-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Heels are the answer ...

18-04-2009
tfs star

I'm not sure how long I'd consider my legs. My legs easily look long in comparison to people from my mother's side of the family, but I would assume with a long torso and long legs I would be taller than 5'5". I guess mine might be more like medium legs since they're not short either.

18-04-2009
fashion insider

well it's also compared to how "thick" you are. because people that are bigger look smaller, so they can look long. being 5"5 isn't a problem.

18-04-2009
trendsetter

I'm 5"5 (1.65), short-waisted and long legged. I'm average in height, so I don't think anyone would take note of my "long legs", but having short or long legs has to do with your individual proportions, not how you measure up against taller or shorter people. It's taken me a while to figure out what silhouettes look good on me. At first I thought it was my height that was the problem, but I'm not that short. Clothes I try to avoid:

- Defined waists on clothes hit far too low on me.
- Waist-length coats, vests, and jackets hit below my bottom instead of above as they're designed to.
- High-waisted pants and skirts are a little too high-waisted, though some can work.
- Belts look awkward, because my natural waistline is high up and not that defined (long legs usually indicate a straightish waistline). Only elastic belts that create the illusion of a waist *sometimes* work.
- Jumpsuits and any all-in-one type of cut has too much excess fabric at the torso for me.

Perhaps others can share tips for their torso/legs proportions?

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 18-04-2009 at 03:30 PM.
18-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I'm also 5'5" & the reverse--long waisted, short legs. I wear long skirts and long wide-leg pants with usually 100 mm heels. This can completely even out my proportions visually. I can wear cropped/waist-length jackets & they're fine. I don't wear tunic kind of things so much. I guess come to think of it, I wear waist-length (or a bit below) cardigans & jackets quite often. Sometimes I wear a 3/4 coat with a longer skirt.

19-04-2009
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola belle View Post
Which is an incredible pain in the *** when regular jeans are too short, and (some) tall jeans drag a little still.

I have the same problem sometimes. All regular length jeans are too short, but some of the Tall ones are too long. It's frustrating!

20-04-2009
scenester

I think if you have short legs.. you'll know. I'm 5'4" and quite slim, but it's pretty obvious I'm pear shaped with short legs. I find dresses and skirt that skim over my hips very flattering, unfortunately skinny jeans don't look as great!

20-04-2009
tfs star

i definitely think proportion is the key
like Kylie Mingoue(i know horrible speller) has great legs that seems to go for ever yet shes like only up to my hip

20-04-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trista View Post
I'm 5'6" and even though I am pear-shaped and thus have extremely short legs, I fake them being long and people say that they look long. Just think long.
How do you manage that? Any tips?

*off to find a tape measure*

20-04-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperheart View Post
I think if you have short legs.. you'll know. I'm 5'4" and quite slim, but it's pretty obvious I'm pear shaped with short legs. I find dresses and skirt that skim over my hips very flattering, unfortunately skinny jeans don't look as great!

Btw, I have known someone pear-shaped with long legs ... she had a long torso too, but she was quite quite tall.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
definition, legs, short