How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2009
V.I.P.

If I wear 32" long jeans... does that mean my legs are 32" or what?

20-04-2009
Power to the 99%

^ That's your inseam ... so the inside length of your leg, yes. (Although ... just about everyone's are two different lengths )

22-04-2009
fashion icon

my legs are neither long or short... they're just in proportion, so a little heel always helps. i'm only 5'5 so either way, heels help

trendsetter

^Most people are in a regular kind of proportion, and clothes are designed with them in mind. Interestingly, I find that average-to-short girls look cuter in flats than tall girls. We tend to have smaller feet than tall girls, and flats can look clumsy on big feet.

22-04-2009
backstage pass

^ I tend to agree. As long as the girl in question has thin legs and is wearing well-fitting/slim jeans, then I think it tends to look better.

01-05-2009
fashion insider

picture from theselby.com

I think that some peoples legs are long, but it's just that their thighs are longer than the other part of the leg. I think I have that...
I think she's an example of that. However apparently her asset is her legs so...
(I think that Krysten Ritter is gorgeous. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg krysten ritter.JPG (401.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Andrea.RL; 01-05-2009 at 03:55 AM.
01-05-2009
mie
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post

Btw, I have known someone pear-shaped with long legs ... she had a long torso too, but she was quite quite tall.

Interesting - I know it's possible to have both long torso and long legs, but I can only think of Gisele as an example. I don't think I've ever seen a mere mortal with both long legs and long torso. Actually, come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a long-legged pear. Must be a rare fruit. :p

01-05-2009
trendsetter

^If you're as tall as Gisele, you're still going to have relatively long legs regardless of your body type. A friend is 1.78 (5'9'?), with regular leg/torso proportions but definitely pear-shaped, and her legs are much longer than mine, because I'm significantly shorter than her.

01-05-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mie View Post
Interesting - I know it's possible to have both long torso and long legs, but I can only think of Gisele as an example. I don't think I've ever seen a mere mortal with both long legs and long torso. Actually, come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a long-legged pear. Must be a rare fruit. :p
She's pretty much 6 feet tall, so ... If everyone were that tall or taller, I guess her legs would be 'short'

01-05-2009
mie
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
^If you're as tall as Gisele, you're still going to have relatively long legs regardless of your body type. A friend is 1.78 (5'9'?), with regular leg/torso proportions but definitely pear-shaped, and her legs are much longer than mine, because I'm significantly shorter than her.
Oh, I meant long-legged in a proportional sense, not a relative one. I think it helps that Gisele has slim hips and skinny legs. Well, skinny everything, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
She's pretty much 6 feet tall, so ... If everyone were that tall or taller, I guess her legs would be 'short'
I can't say that I'd mind being a short-legged 6' myself :p

03-05-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milada View Post
How do you manage that? Any tips?

*off to find a tape measure*
See when I take a look at my legs in the mirror, they don't look terribly short-they look in proportion to the rest of my body. It's when I am wearing clothes that it is difficult, the good ol' 28.5" inseam. Add in large thighs and a large butt and well, it's horrendously difficult because it will be a lot longer in the front than the back in many cases, or with shorter skirts, I am always scared that it's going to come up in the back. I have found that what works the best for me is to think of things to wear that would lengthen. Yes, heels help, but I can wear them on very rare occasions because I have a knee condition that is made worse by wearing heels a lot. A straight-legged jean does wonders for me, something with a bit more fabric down the calf than a skinny jean but generally the same silhouette. For skirts, I like a straight/pencil skirt that hits just above the knee. If you go much lower than the knee, it will chop you in a weird place. I also do a lot of high-waisted stuff which really gives the illusion of longer legs, in some cases. It is easier to do if you don't have a lot of junk in the trunk but even with some curves, it works well-the eye is drawn to the natural waistline, the thinnest part of the body, thus the legs do appear longer.

07-05-2009
oh! darling

My legs are short. Sometimes the Shorts are stores are too long.
Express has jeans that fit but wash 'em once, they are too long.

Power to the 99%

^ That is the first time I've heard of something expanding rather than shrinking after washing ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
definition, legs, short