How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-12-2006
scenester

I became bored with my style a year ago, and decided to try out many things in stores that I normally wouldn't. Result: I have a few things in my closet that I will never wear, usually things that are somehow extravagant that don't fit into my daily life (like a thin black silk pencil skirt, or a purple velvet skirt, or an 80s technicolor one... come to think of it, mainly skirts!)

But I realized through these mistakes that what I really wanted was... simplicity. I still try to incorporate many different styles into my wardrobe (the quirky look, mod, femme fatale, etc) because depending on the mood I'm in, I like my clothing to project a certain 'role', if you see what I mean. But I always prefer a clean, simple(ish) sillhouette, and I've realized that I prefer long, lean basics.

They are simply items that I naturally tend towards in stores (also pants/skirts that move or flow). I suggest that you should go with your instincts. Don't try to pick a piece of clothing simply because it seems interesting and new. It should appeal to you, either in color or in texture. And always find a flattering fit; don't give up (like I did) and buy something that doesn't fit you properly because you are discouraged.

Even if you end up with a wardrobe of clothes that are similar, you can coordinate them into simple outfits, and then attempt to find the one defining piece (accessory or clothing item) that will liven up your look and make it unique - for example, I have a silk obi-style belt that I often wear with dark sweaters and wide black pants. Or think of items that will put together a certain 'look' that you are working towards.

On the whole, I believe that we all, consciously or unconsciously, have personal style. All you need to do is to recognize the items that you naturally tend towards and determine whether they flatter you. If they do, you're on your way! And finally (I'm almost done now :p) I believe that very few people have a truly definable personal style... but there will always be something about the way you dress that makes it unique

25-03-2008
Power to the 99%

bump

25-03-2008
fashion elite

I'm totally all over the place with my style.

Growing up I was punk/rave/goth and a lot of that comes out in my style sometimes.

BUT...I also have a very preppy and professional looking side.

I like to think of my personal style as preppy with a dark side.

25-03-2008
backstage pass

i dont think its a problem at all
really
its about beign effortless
wear what you like
try different peices on and find nice combos
why should you try to fit into a niche or "determine" a sense of style
its transient
it changes
its so wonderful to change so embrace anything AND everything you can
wear what makes you feel great

In Bloom

I think you should just wear what makes you feel comfortable... If you know that certain styles suit you (like a mini skirt or wide leg trousers), then just wear them. It's easy. I've learned that anything high waisted looks good on me and it makes me feel comfortable, be it skirts or jeans.

we were in love

26-03-2008
V.I.P.

The most important thing I have learned is wearing things that fit your body well. Just because it's on sale or your favorite brand, doesn't mean you should pay for it if it doesn't fit you correctly.

Making sure things fit well before purchasing is very important. The material, color, price or designer name attached does not matter; it's about the fit and how it flatters you.

27-03-2008
trendsetter

pixiewytch-I'm not sure what age you are, but from my personal experiance as one get a little older and lives thru all types of trends, you begin to creat your own style which is more and more refined. I also think everyone changes every few years.i only keep the styles that seem to work or compliment me in a certain way.

27-03-2008
front row

as people above have said, you can't ENTIRELY CHOOSE your personal style...for instance, i'd love to do the whole waif-y olsen twins thing, or the mod edie thing, but my double Ds+tiny waist+hips don't really lend themselves to that look. luuuckily, i like the vintage-y 50's look too, so my style is very influeced by that. (and also a dab of punky/goth )

i also think it's kind of like that thing john lennon said about life, but about style... it's what you wear while you're trying to figure out what your style is. hah.

31-03-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I dunno, does that really prevent you from doing the Olsen thing (not that I'm encouraging that :p )?? I've got the DDs too, and while it prevents me from wearing certain designers and labels because they're not cut for me, I don't think they've ever kept me from doing a whole look ...

31-03-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kora View Post
pixiewytch-I'm not sure what age you are, but from my personal experiance as one get a little older and lives thru all types of trends, you begin to creat your own style which is more and more refined. I also think everyone changes every few years.i only keep the styles that seem to work or compliment me in a certain way.
That is so so so true!! Now, I walk into clothing store, I am not as curious as I used to be. I do not want to try on and own every piece, yet I feel a lot of the stuff repulses me. I feel I will only spent my money on pieces I truely like and has good quality. I am feeling the "it is the modern version of that thing again". I would rather stick with what I have, than just buy it. Maybe I am getting old.

unknown
31-03-2008
fashion insider

I don't really have a style myself. I meant I do my best to looks good but at the end of the day all you can really do is just wear something comfortable and flattering.

31-03-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I dunno, does that really prevent you from doing the Olsen thing (not that I'm encouraging that :p )?? I've got the DDs too, and while it prevents me from wearing certain designers and labels because they're not cut for me, I don't think they've ever kept me from doing a whole look ...
well i'm short too. idunno, just doesn't look right. i feel like that look represents a lifestyle that's for skinny boobless girls only haha

31-03-2008
backstage pass

Only on a fashion board frequented by women would you hear that big bosoms are a problem *runs away*

More seriously at some point you'll just gravitate toward a main look with a peppering of diverging pieces to spice it up from time to time.

Mine goes something like:
Black sports coat, often tuxedo
white tee
black pants or jeans
white hi-tops or dark boots
silver rings and jewellery

It helps to have some sort of personal narrative that informs the whole thing and maybe some designers whose vision you subscribe to. For example I think of the social parasites from a novel I enjoyed who crash high society parties but are basically homeless so must wear rumpled but expensive menswear and, following that, go for the darker and more avant-garde sort of "gothic" designers but pair them with luxurious tailored clothing. Decaying luxe or rumpled elegance if you will.

Power to the 99%

^

Last I checked, the Olsens were pretty short themselves

01-04-2008
front row

my personal style is very eccentric, i would say its more eurocentric than anything else i.e. band t shirts straight legged jeans never skinny loads of cardigans and double breasted jackets and bold colours a bit diluted new rave meets typical londoner really

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
determining, personal, style