How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-03-2007
trendsetter

Do you dress eccentrically?
What someone wears is most certainly a form of expression. I've always been one to try out things spontaneously - sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Very occasionally, I wear things many people would find odd.

EX.
-Tailcoats
-Lots of fur (I'm male - if that changes anything)
-Top Hats
-Excessive Jewelry (I'm a jewelry designer though lol)
-Multiple Scarves
-Extreme Proportions
-Bowties
-etc.

I have on occasion had tourists ask for photos with me, because they think I'm in costume or whatever. Most of the time I am just extremely aware that people I walk by are like WTF - this kid is crazy.
I'm starting this thread because of my curiosity if anyone else dresses in a manner that other people find weird (and I live in lower Manhattan - there are some fabulously odd outfits :p). Some famous examples being Anna Piaggi, Patrick MacDonald, and occasionally Chloe Sevigny.

[IMG]http://jonathanbordallo.kicks-***.org/gift/celeb/gallery07/041018_chloe_sevigny_inf/chloe_sevigny_041018_01.JPG[/IMG]

Sources (respectively): http://www.portifex.com/DailyBlague/...annapiaggi.bmp
http://cache.viewimages.com/xt/72488...itorial_na&s=1
http://jonathanbordallo.kicks-***.or..._041018_01.JPG

If there is already a thread - I apologize

23-03-2007
fashion elite

i think what makes the two people you named so stylish si htat they really pay attention to proportion and silhouette. you can really tell when a visually artistic person piles on crap vs. the average joe.

24-03-2007
V.I.P.

Def, but then again i think one should always dress your personality. My "goal" isn't to be eccentric, i just am and dress that way. I actually thought about it yesterday how i can go from all black and skintight too all loose &, dunno the english word, "living-on-the-streety" to girly 80's etc. I always want to do something different.. I think Anna Piaggi looks ridicilous almost always, and GOD, what's her name - CHLOE something in last picture doesn't pull off anything IMO, no idea why. The second guy doesn't seem bad at all though.

But, i read somewhere, that if you TRY to be eccentric, it just proves the opposite.. Now, i agree with that!

24-03-2007
fashion elite

i love that jumper. if she wore it with adorable loafers (jcrew/tod's style), and if the tutrl neck wasn't ribbed, and slimmer fitting, a different color---it could really work.

24-03-2007
V.I.P.

The outfit is allright i guess, i just don't like her in the clothes. I sounds really superficial and she is indeed a talented actress, but i just don't think she pull the stuff off.. Sorry

24-03-2007
fashion elite

first she would have to wash he hair--ugh. why is it always dirty?

24-03-2007
V.I.P.

Chloe Sevigny is talented? Since when? I just think she can't wear the clothes she has, it look so strange on her. You wear the clothes, not the other way around.

24-03-2007
fashion elite

personally I think eccentricity in dressing is great, but anna piagi and patrick mcdonald are CLOWNS. Over made up, over dressed, just absolutely awful. eccentricity should be in the details, and should still have an element of understanding basic aesthetics, or it just looks like a complete joke.

fashion insider

I'd love to dress more eccentrically...I think it looks great on the right people...it becomes part of their personality and evolves into something very personal...

24-03-2007
V.I.P.

i think i dress a little weird sometimes because people usually smile in an odd way if they see me or people will look at my clothes. i think generally for any male in a place like where i live, you will get stared at if you are dressed up. but anyway i always go by if something looks good on me according to myself...so sometimes i think i'm dressed really normally and just like everybody else and then, someone will look kind of surprised seeing me and tell me that i am overdressed or they will say i am dressed up. i like to wear interesting bags and accessories sometimes--they maybe looks eccentric because i've designed and made them myself. maybe in a few weeks i will start wearing my own clothes too if i have some time

24-03-2007
V.I.P.

I dont dress eccentrically at all, Im very simple and very boring.

24-03-2007
fashion elite

to me--its al about the shoes. i love fabulously individual shoes. also, i make sure to be very well-groomed and sport the sans-makeup look, so that people are able to focus on the artistic flair of the outfit vs a missing button or frizzy,split ends.

24-03-2007
rising star

i am odd so i dress odd, i guess it's really just my insides exploding to my outsides. it's like i can't hide what a freak i am by wearing "normal" clothes, i let people know what they are getting into from first glance. I heart eccentricity! and chloe!

25-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorling
Chloe Sevigny is talented? Since when? I just think she can't wear the clothes she has, it look so strange on her. You wear the clothes, not the other way around.
okey, okey, let's be honest here.. I've never seen a movie with her except when she played a lesbian in a Will & Grace-episode. I just said it to balance the mean comment about here with something positive..

25-03-2007
front row

i'll do it sometimes...any excuse for me to dress up!

I adore this costumey style...i adopt the full attire when the mood requires it. Most days its just the lips, or just the stockings, or just the gloves...

i usually wear this with fully fashioned french seamed stockings and my ruby woo lipstick

and this is possibly my favourite outfit

( all from www.stopstaring.com)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dress, eccentrically