How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-03-2006
rising star

I love tights and pantyhose so much! Wear them all the time because I'm such a big skirt fan but wouldn't dare show a bare leg. I love them in all colors and thickness, they are a good thing!

17-03-2006
windowshopping

Where I live is so cold in winter I have to wear tights/hold ups under my trousers and jeans otherwise I would freeze!!!!

In summer I don't mind to go bare legged, but if I had to wear some stockings I would go for holdups rather than tights(pantyhose for the Americans!!!:p)

17-03-2006
windowshopping

What I'd suggest...
Plastic'sWife,

If I can offer you a couple of suggestions for wearing sheers is that you might want to try them with an above-the knee/mid-thigh plaid skirt. The skirt can be of either loose or narrow variety, but I'd rather go with the loose, prep-school type skirt. The ideal colors for the skirt would be beige/gray/maroon plaid. I would wear pale nude pantyhose with that and brown low-heeled, closed-toe shoes. Add to that a beige/white turtleneck sweater, and a brown leather jacket. You'll look great!

You may want to try suntan pantyhose with a black below or just above the knee skirt and black knee-length boots.

For pants, I'd suggest you wear light support pantyhose that allow your pants to glide on top of them freely, and that give you that nice tingle when you walk :-). I love to wear grey snug pants, grey pumps and grey hosiery. You can alternatively wear suntan hosiery for this. Suntan hosiery also goes well with black pants and black pumps, much better than nude. You will look very elegant in my opinion when you wear pants, but also if your pumps also have a peep-top. Don't worry about your pantyhose showing, try it!

Enjoy,
Agatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic'sWife
I like sheers too! But I dont know how to pull them off... I see them on some women and they look so hot, unfort. I am still trying to figure out how to work em.

17-03-2006
windowshopping

Captain_Lydia
Great! Looks like those leopard tights are a fashion-must for you!

Tushka_BeLLa
That's great. Opaques work well with most outfits. Beige micronets are great for cropped trousers and boots, when you want to reveal what's you're wearing underneath to your peers only on rare occasions and keep'em guessing ;-)

yiyi
Yes, fishnets can be a subtle addition of an elegant touch if done nicely.

tangiblelove
I love them too :-) I've worn them with probably all of my dressier/work clothes, as well as with more casual ensembles.

eleganza
Quality hosiery can add a nice layer in winter under clothes, as we both know :-)

Cheers,
Agatha

18-03-2006
Proponent of Plaid

I only wear opaque and/or patterned tights and fishnets. I like colors, especially, and don't see the point of fleshtone sheer tights. If I want my legs to look bare, I will leave them bare, but I prefer a more covered-up look.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha79
Captain_Lydia
Great! Looks like those leopard tights are a fashion-must for you!

Tushka_BeLLa
That's great. Opaques work well with most outfits. Beige micronets are great for cropped trousers and boots, when you want to reveal what's you're wearing underneath to your peers only on rare occasions and keep'em guessing ;-)

yiyi
Yes, fishnets can be a subtle addition of an elegant touch if done nicely.

tangiblelove
I love them too :-) I've worn them with probably all of my dressier/work clothes, as well as with more casual ensembles.

eleganza
Quality hosiery can add a nice layer in winter under clothes, as we both know :-)

Cheers,
Agatha

Wow! You are really sweet to comment on everyones responses! Thanks for being so thoughtful! I think everyone appreciates it!

18-03-2006
V.I.P.

^ I know I did!

23-03-2006
windowshopping

Thank you. I appreciate your comments too.

Agatha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangiblelove
Wow! You are really sweet to comment on everyones responses! Thanks for being so thoughtful! I think everyone appreciates it!

23-03-2006
Power to the 99%

I don't like wearing sheer hose, but am wearing them today ... I've almost stopped buying them in favor of tights, which I have quite a collection of & think are really fun.

Almost none of them are truly comfortable IMHO, but they do have benefits, including the control top and added warmth when it's cold (the latter being a huge disadvantage when it's hot, of course).

I used to feel that since I'm so pale (fair pink skin that freckles a bit but doesn't tan) I should cover my legs unless wearing quite a long skirt. But I've given up on that now and now go bare-legged all summer (most of the year here). More shaving, but lots more $$$ to spend on other stuff :p

Completely agree with the observations about snagging. Tights last for years, but on a bad day you can ruin hose before you even get out of the house. Hell, on a really bad day they have a hole when you open the package and you bought them from a store with a Draconian return policy and have to fight to exchange them for another pair so you can ruin them yourself 10 minutes later :p

I was in Forty Five Ten not long ago & one of the owners complimented my tights, observing that women don't wear them here, but wear sheers or go bare-legged instead. Well, I know there are others wearing them because I have to stay on my toes to get the ones I want before they sell out, but ... he had a point. I don't know why, though, anyone wouldn't take this approach when it's both fun & practical

24-03-2006
V.I.P.

I used to wear sheers to work everyday but not anymore as I found it too much of a hassle (I'm really clumsy) and it's difficult to find a colour that matches my skin tone. If I wear any these days, it's either dark grey or black. I do feel that wearing sheers give a more polished professional finish.

I opaques but I can only wear them during the rainy and cold season. And I've got a problem finding nice ones. Being from a country so close to the equator, looking for opaque tights is like looking for a needle in a haystack. To make it even worse, I'm tall for an Asian so I've great difficulty finding those long enough for me.

24-03-2006
fashion icon

I like wearing tights, but my skin is *very* sensitive to certain types of tights, therefore I can't wear every type that's out there. I absolutely abhore the itchy feeling and it seems I get that with every pair I try. I choose to wear them because they're so damn cute. It's a sacrifice that every girls makes :-)

dlg

26-03-2006
backstage pass

I love wearing them! They are fun. My favorite ones are the opaques

02-05-2010
windowshopping

I love wearing tights! Especially the sheer and glossy ones which I think look great with short skirts. I don't often wear pants but I do have a favourite pair in black leather and - as Agatha points out - the hose underneath really makes them glide over my legs (I'm addicted to that sensation, too, Agatha!).

05-05-2010
scenester

^Agree with Agatha79 and Lady Nadja. They keep me so warm during a Scottish winter.
I am a tights addict. I love opaques but I like opaques mixed with sheers too (i.e. the Henry Holland for Pretty Polly line-I own more than one of everything).

05-05-2010
scenester

I absolutely couldn't be without sheer thights! They are an absolute staple in my closet. I adore them, because they make your legs look so much better and even-toned (important thing for me as I am very pale with visible little blue veins on my legs). In Poland, where I live, they're incredibly cheap, so I can really stock on them. I also managed to find ones that match my skin exactly and so even my friends are convinced my legs are bare :p Plus I have to say I hate wearing shoes on bare feet, I find it disgusting
In winter I like wearing opaque black or grey tights with a pencil skirt or dress

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
pantyhose or tights, sheer, wearing