How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-11-2005
front row

Matching the metal hardware on your outfit?
I've always wondered whether it actually is essential to keep all the metal trimmings on your outfit (belt buckles, bag hardware, jewellery, watches etc) in the one color-tone throughout...
eg silver/white metal only, or brass tone only, or yellow gold only... etc..

so this would mean that as the hardware on my current bag is brass, that i can't wear silver accessories?

opinions please!

17-11-2005
V.I.P.

Some women (like my mother) are very anal about things like that, it is in the details that truly makes good taste. At the same time most people dont really noticed enough to care.

I personally wear silver toned jewelry (gold is sooo tacky on men) and pretty much all modern mens bags have silver toned hardware and same with belts so Im pretty much set.

17-11-2005
front row

yeah i'm totally a silver toned person myself... but my balenciaga has brass hardware... so i'm wondering if i need to equip my wardrobe with a whole set of brass toned accessories for when i wear this bag, which nowadays is all the time.

so how many style points will i actually lose, wearing my silver-metal accessories with this bag?

18-11-2005
backstage pass

I would assume pretty negligable style points? Who wants to wear brass jewlerry? I wouldn't let this stop you from grabbing your balenciaga

18-11-2005
slightly dizzy

I might notice if others are matched/mismatched, but this is def. something you don't need to match IMO. In fact, I'd say it easily could look stressed if you have exactly matched hardware, especially if it's huge and in unusual colours/finishes.

18-11-2005
V.I.P.

I am always aware of this, and I tend to try to match various hardware. It does get strange for me; my pieces have quite a range of hardware tones. Kind of annoying, actually.

18-11-2005
Soviet Camaro

Agree with tott, and will add this is something that has to be decided on a case-by-case basis, taking other colors in the outfit into account.

backstage pass

I try to match my outfits to my bike (an old 70s Graziella remade black with yellow and red flames, yellow details etc...) and it's easy cos I always wear black/white or other strong colors (not any pastels)..One day I'll send you a pic..my bike is my best accesoir...

18-11-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

I think it can go either way. I tend to try and do this to bring continuity to an outfit, esp if i have a lot of different layering or pieces in it, i think it can bring 'unity' so to speak. however, it's not something i'm supremely anal about and sometimes i think it works to have mismatching hardware.

18-11-2005
V.I.P.

I used to be pretty anal about this, but it seems like anything goes today. Plus, I'm a bit conscious about being too matchy-matchy lately so I kind of like the mis-match personally In short, I'd say this season it's fine, but maybe check again in a year :p

18-11-2005
tfs star

Well, as long as you dont mix JEWELRY thats both silver & gold, I dont see much of a problem..but, of course, if you're quite anal about such details, as suggested by previous posters, well, yeah, I can see where you're coming from..

18-11-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by emi25
I try to match my outfits to my bike (an old 70s Graziella remade black with yellow and red flames, yellow details etc...) and it's easy cos I always wear black/white or other strong colors (not any pastels)..One day I'll send you a pic..my bike is my best accesoir...
You match your outfits to coordinate w/ your bike?!? LOVE IT!!
That's definitely one of the most original Personal Style tips Ive heard in a long time! I'll definitely be checking up for a pic of this! Karma for you!!!

18-11-2005
Soviet Camaro

emi, I want to see the bike, too!

backstage pass

A lot of jewlerry and watches are two-tone. It seems like by virtue of this jewlers are saying matchy is not a big deal?

05-10-2006
trendsetter

I was wondering about this today. The bag I want (Stam) has large amounts of gold hardware, and I'm afraid that if I got a leather flight jacket it would probably have silver zippers. But maybe it wouldn't be noticeable really. And not that it's even the most prissy outfit. Still curious though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
metals, mix