Does This Work? Get Fashion Feedback Here. - Page 31 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
28-01-2007
Fashion Icon googoo gagaa

i dont get were they issue is??? ..its a classic jacket and if u already wear it..then why stop? and what does being "black" got to do with it?

fashion elite

^my exact thoughts exactly. It seems like a pretty basic peice than any one could wear. Really, why was race part of the question?

backstage pass

The main question from responders:
What does race have anything to do with it?

The Answer:
(PLEASE! I do not want to start a controversial issue here! Just let it be the truth and let it be what it is!)

Coming from an African-American male:
The reason why (I'm 90% sure) he emphasized that he is a black male is because there are certain things that black males can and cannot get away with when compared to other races.

For example:
(due to American culture)
Black males can get away with diamond studded earrings, "Chin-Strap" style facial hair, thick goatees.

While white males cannot pull of dread locks, cornrolls and french braids

Catch my drift?

So I'm assuming he was asking if y'all think it is culturally acceptable for him to wear the jacket without getting weird looks.

29-01-2007
front row

Around here, I see quite a few young men wear that kind of coats... as above, combined with jeans and a good pair of sneakers... My bf even wears a long black wool coat (he's tall!) and he looks uber fine

02-02-2007
Saucy minx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allius
The main question from responders:
What does race have anything to do with it?

The Answer:
(PLEASE! I do not want to start a controversial issue here! Just let it be the truth and let it be what it is!)

Coming from an African-American male:
The reason why (I'm 90% sure) he emphasized that he is a black male is because there are certain things that black males can and cannot get away with when compared to other races.

For example:
(due to American culture)
Black males can get away with diamond studded earrings, "Chin-Strap" style facial hair, thick goatees.

While white males cannot pull of dread locks, cornrolls and french braids

Catch my drift?

So I'm assuming he was asking if y'all think it is culturally acceptable for him to wear the jacket without getting weird looks.
I've seen a number of white guys (and girls) sporting dreads

05-02-2007
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
I've seen a number of white guys (and girls) sporting dreads
But it's aesthetics are debatable.

11-02-2007
trendsetter

I apologize if this is attention whorish but I have been struggling to find an outfit to wear my lacy white tights with that looks cute and not too little girl, old lady, or nurse, but also not too contrived. This is what I came up with. Excuse the dirty mirror and hot mess of a bedroom. Does it work? Suggestions? Merci beaucoup!

p.s. I noticed my seam of the tights is showing. I'll have to pay more attention to that.

V.I.P.

It works, but i would wear it with black heels (suede, brownish wedges are too quirky when you're already mixing patterns.) to balance things out, and with a black men's blazer or a cropped, black jacket, and a long, black necklace to make the pattern less "LOOK AT ME".

11-02-2007
trendsetter

hmmmm....thank you for your advice. I think I will probably be wearing a cropped blk leather moto jacket. I was using lighter neutral colored heels because I thought they might've blended in better and a dark color shoe would be too contrasting. I will try a dark shoe. Would a dark blue work? The dress is black but has some blue in it. I was thinking black on cream tights is such a stark difference.....that's why I was trying lighter colored shoes. Maybe I'm off though.

oh, and yes, I will find a long black beaded necklace. Or maybe a long one with charms. I didn't put everything togather for this pic. just the shoes dress and tights. THank god you can't see my face.

Last edited by pinksatin; 11-02-2007 at 07:23 AM.
11-02-2007
V.I.P.

Leather sounds OK, i still think a little long, black blazer will be the best. If you're going for navy shoes, i would wear one navy, long bead necklace, one silver and one black. Only one navy element together with black rarely work, IMO.

11-02-2007
What fresh hell is this.?

I really like the dress and tights together - Great job.

And I actually don't mind the shoes that much, all though I think I would prefer a pair of flat brown ones. I like that they are brown, it seems a bit more random but still simple.

I like the idea of navy shoes. !
And I think a men's blazer would be great as well. . .

Last edited by Tinetush; 11-02-2007 at 07:33 AM.
12-02-2007
girl who fell to earth

pinksatin i would definitely go with a darker shoe... the light colored shoes were the one thing that seemed off to me...

the shoes already make a sort of contrast so you might as well go all the way with it for a punchier look...
navy would work just as well as black i think

12-02-2007
trendsetter

thanks guys for confirming. I will definately look for darker shoes because it seems everyone agrees on that. I just feel that black is too dark against the cream tights. That's why I was thinking a darker blue. I am afraid of going for soemthing too colorful like a deep purple or punchy pink though because I'm afraid that would be going to far and make me look silly and like I'm trying to be 80's or just, weird. I think the lacy tights and printed dress are quirky enough. That's why I'm thinking more demure dk blue shoes.

and of course, I still need to add a long necklace or 2. THanks for your help guys! I think I'll wear this outfit to a party on thursday.

trendsetter

i like the tights. but i don't really like the combination. maybe it's just the lighting. but i agree on the sandals. maybe a belt? or a vest?

14-02-2007
V.I.P.

I dont really have an outfit to show but would like to know if red & fushsia pink go together? Like a red trouser or dress with a shoe that has fushia & gold in it? Would that be horrible?

Last edited by Tiffany7; 14-02-2007 at 09:48 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
advice, dress, fashion, feedback, good, marni, recognise, shoe, work