How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2007
V.I.P.

Oh, heheh.. I thought it might be like when you're saying "excuse me, can you turn the volume down?", cause you're not really meaning it, you're meaning "excuse YOU", and yeah, i thought it was a bit of the same thing. I'm glad to hear i was wrong though

06-03-2007
trendsetter

Hey guys -
Okay so I'm going to a formal party thingee on friday and I've got no idea about my outfit yet! I'm thinking about wearing this dress - left-overs from Zara summer hehe.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do about accessories so opinions on that would be cool as well.
Here are the few ways I'm thinking about wearing the dress. I don't know if you can see in the pics but the neck is one of those tie-together necks - I don't know what correct term for it is but you know the necklines where there's two staps and you can leave them open or tie them? Do you guys think the dress is appropriate or is it maybe to mature since it's a uni. formal? as usual, please be honest and constructive.

first one - dress plain, neck-tie left undone
second one - dress, ribbon at waist tied with bow on the side
third one - dress, ribbon at waist
forth one - upclose detail
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dressplain.jpg (300.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg dressbow2.jpg (249.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg dressribbon2.jpg (240.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg dressupclose2.jpg (246.6 KB, 1 views)

06-03-2007
V.I.P.

this dress to me is not formal- this is a daytime dress, not an evening dress

backstage pass

Like the previous poster mentioned, the dress is not formal at all but if you ask me that's not a problem. In combination with a short black jacket, black accessories and red lipstick(if it looks good on you), you will look a tad more formal.

V.I.P.

Agreeing with homeboy on this, but i would in general look for a LBD and theme it up with fun, silver-acessories and coloured pumps, preferably vintage (-looking?)

07-03-2007
Fashionably Late

I love the dress ms_prissy! Like everyone else said, it is a bit casual for night time, but hopefully, you have somewhere else fun to wear it! It looks great on you. Very flattering.

07-03-2007
V.I.P.

There is nothing formal about that dress. Trying to dress it up might exacerbate the fact that it's bascially a sundress.

07-03-2007
trendsetter

Yeah...I think I'm pushing it a bit on this one - it is after all a daydress. Thanks for all your comments - helpful

I decided I'm going go with a my trusty halter-necked LBD (as LVizo mentioned) - fool-proof, I suppose - I'm still debating on accessories though. Do you think the black shoes would be too boring (not to mention predictable - everyone and their dog will probably be wearing LBDs lol) with the black dress?

07-03-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_prissy
Do you think the black shoes would be too boring (not to mention predictable - everyone and their dog will probably be wearing LBDs lol) with the black dress?
It depends on whether you want to stand out or not.

V.I.P.

I would go with a more special pair of shoes, maybe colourful patent, and strong acessories. To stand out from the crowd, but still be stylish, formal and correctly dressed.

08-03-2007
V.I.P.

^ I agree. Id love to see a grey, neon green or neon purple patent peeptoe slingback with a LBD and one piece of strong jewelry such as a great silver cuff.

09-03-2007
trendsetter

haha - i got a pair of blue patent leather peep-toe wedges and large gold cuff bracelet yesterday that i'm going to wear tonight.

ah...i'm so impressionable

...and a shopoholic

thx for your help guys

10-03-2007
V.I.P.

That sounds lovely, strike a pose, take a picture!

22-03-2007
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell

something is wrong about this outfit... i didn't know but now i see it are the socks right ? it should be a pair of thights when i want to wear it with the heels. when i would wear flats maybe the socks are better. but heels and socks look cheap somehow ... a bit too much for my age. please give me opinions. thanks
I think it's all fine except for the belt, which needs to be wider--maybe black patent? But then I don't know what your age is

07-04-2007
V.I.P.

I have fat legs and thighs
but, I'm relatively skinny.
It makes me terribly self-conscious when wearing shorts/skirts/dresses. I know it's all about self-confidence, but for me, it's also about breaking that routine I have of always wearing jeans.

1) The skirt reminds me of Marni. I thinks it'll be great for spring and bring something new to my wardrobe.
2) The shorts remind me of Kate Moss. I didn't know when I picked it up that it would be worn like that, but quickly realized in the dressing room. Once again, new to my wardrobe. (I'm aware of the way they scrunched up near my crotch. :p)

Anyways, I just wanted some real opinions instead of just asking my sister (who says the shorts... because she can wear them...). BTW, I plan on wearing the skirt and shorts with tights ALWAYS, that is if I have enough will to actually wear them out. (I'm in high school... now you understand, huh? hopefully )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4736_1.JPG (448.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4745.JPG (464.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4742.JPG (236.4 KB, 7 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, feedback, good, shoe, work