How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-06-2008
flaunt the imperfection

yeah- well it sounds like you have some cute little outfits planned...so that could be why...

:p...

i, on the other hand...am in the mood for loads of layers...
PILES of them...
:p
which do not mix well with hot weather...

02-06-2008
trendsetter

The summers where I live are so hot that all I can wear are the most lightweight clothes and shoes I can find. And I try to get away with showing as much skin as possible, even though it makes me very self-conscious, because even the flimsiest cotton ends up feeling like wool. Hair pulled up. Forget about accessorizing, even jewellery feels too hot against the skin.

I always get jealous of all the streetstyle pictures in northern regions (especially Scandinavia) in the summer. People there get to have so much fun with accessories and layering when they dress for warm weather. They even wear boots in the summer! It's mind-boggling.

02-06-2008
In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
yeah- well it sounds like you have some cute little outfits planned...so that could be why...

:p...

i, on the other hand...am in the mood for loads of layers...
PILES of them...
:p
which do not mix well with hot weather...

You could layer up for summer beduin-style, it seems to work for them

we were in love

Last edited by The_Ida; 02-06-2008 at 07:06 AM.
02-06-2008
Power to the 99%

^ And let us know how that goes

02-06-2008
flaunt the imperfection

hmm...i'd rather not smell like a camel, thank you~!...:p

i think that the first layer i am going to go for is a nice golden tan!

i love having really tan feet, nicely manicured red toes and very very bare leather sandals...

Last edited by softgrey; 02-06-2008 at 02:17 PM.
02-06-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I hope that's going to be a lovely Clarins tan ...

Me, I embrace the whiteness

02-06-2008
V.I.P.

i fake-tan, i shave beforehand (early spring so there's shortish hair later on. the hair on my legs is so long, its just gross IMO), i exfoliate, i tan, i get short as possible hair (i used to have shoulder long hair), wear only flip flops, drivers and slip ons (w/o socks. with socks the whole air of non-chalance), light linen & cotton.

i love summer. although i miss some pieces, but it feels so much better not having to wear so many layers and pounds and pounds of clothes.

03-06-2008
Deep Red Bells

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I hope that's going to be a lovely Clarins tan ...

Me, I embrace the whiteness
Me too. I don't bother with fake tan b/c I am a redhead and so naturally white and fake tan just looks odd.

04-06-2008
front row

There's only been a handful of warm-enough-to-not-wear-a-sweater days where I live -- even right now, almost a week into June, I'm wearing two shirts, a thick sweater and tights under my skirt. Ahh.

Apparently a week from now the weather will get better, and I hope it stays warm throughout the summer! I can't wait to ditch the winter clothes.

Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Me too. I don't bother with fake tan b/c I am a redhead and so naturally white and fake tan just looks odd.
I've never tried it, but I suspect it would look odd on me too ... my hair is in the red family & skin decidedly pink ...

I've always loved my freckles, but less so as I get older ...

PS If you want to see all your freckles, check yourself out in ultraviolet light (I think that's what it is) at the Elizabeth Arden counter. You can see the freckles underneath your skin. My mother said her face was absolutely solid freckles ... she used to bake back in the day.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 04-06-2008 at 03:06 PM.
05-06-2008
& b

ugh.

i hate the summer. but, you know, i need to embrace it, i live in miami. walking aruond with farmers tan is so not cute, esp when i literally can see a white markout of my shorts and tees

so i started by just tanning, self tanners wont work on me, i guess my kind of skin (pot-o-rican) doesnt mesh well with bronzers, i turn orange easily. now my tan, thank god, is gorgeous n even and gold and god i feel like a damn god

kidding...

but yeah, clothes wise, i've cut out most of my everyday tees into sleeveless or tanks, just cause its hard for me to find a decent tank at a reasonable price.

basically my summer wardrobe is very whatever, a lot of bike shorts, be it leather for fancy times or denim for everyday, or plain black, with cut out tees, and maybe some slim cardigans n stuff.

shoes, i hate flip flops, i havent found a good pair of sandals, so all im wearing is vans low top laceups or cheap *** keds.

ugh i cant wait for winter

tfs star

what is summer? i live in scotland. i used to fool myself that there was summer by walking into topshop mid july and seeing all the bright yellow smock dresses that no one ever buys. then i'd have to seek comfort in all saints. thankfully you don't get a second glance here for all black summer.

05-06-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifa View Post
what is summer? i live in scotland. i used to fool myself that there was summer by walking into topshop mid july and seeing all the bright yellow smock dresses that no one ever buys. then i'd have to seek comfort in all saints. thankfully you don't get a second glance here for all black summer.
Go to Texas, it will feel like the Sahara, only hotter and extremely humid.

I grew up in Houston, though I spent a great deal of my teen years away in Massachusetts for boarding school. But I remember coming home every summer and it was hell. Absolutely miserable. I remember telling my mother that it felt like we lived in The Great Gatsby, only hotter. And then, we summered in The Adirondacks when I was about 12 or 13 & I hated the rest of the nation, lol. I remember it cooled down so nicely at night, and the heat was not nearly as sweltering; States like California have such a nice, dry heat and I remember having to put on a light sweater at night. Even as I've traveled the world, there are very few places I have been that match the humid, blistering heat of Texas summers. I feel like I'm writing some sort of Tennessee Williams-esque novel, but my God, was it hot. Even spending summer here in the city doesn't compare. :p

Last edited by Alber Elbaz; 05-06-2008 at 02:48 PM.
06-06-2008
trendsetter

it was so unbearably hot today. I wore basically floss and some well placed electrical tape...

rising star

what do you do when it gets so hot that even a light summer dress is far too much clothing?

i live in SF valley in southern california...it gets unbearably hot here in july-october.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beat, dressing, heat