How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-03-2009
I am half-sick of shadows

MulletProof - the dress sounds perfect.

I'm another person who has issues when it comes to dressing in the warmer weather. This year I'm taking a slightly different tack by making a list of items that will work with my existing clothes and give me more outfit choices (and therefore make the heat slightly more bearable).

My list is...
  • A couple of nice tops (i.e. not t-shirts)
  • A pair of black pants
  • A dress (preferably striped)
  • A pair of comfortable ballet flats
So far I've picked up one top (with a discount coupon), the black pants (on sale), and the shoes (for free) so I'm feeling a little more hopeful about the summer.

H chalayan slacks sml.jpgtangerine top.jpgGS Gabby.jpg
Images from: 80's Purple, LaGarconne, Solestruck

20-03-2009
trendsetter

My game plan for summer:
- A big black X on anything synthetic. I've learned not to be fooled by how flimsy or soft-as-cotton a garment seems. If the fabric isn't made from natural fibers, it will make me hot and uncomfortable. Rayon is an exception when it's from a high-quality brand.
- This goes for shoes as well, as I have been misled by cute summery shoes at a steal in the past. They make my feet sweat so bad. High quality PVC shoes (such as the brand Melissa) are another exception, I have no idea why, but they are very heat-friendly.
- Strapless bras look unnatural to me, so I'll wear one only if I'm wearing a strapless top/dress. I look for bras with pretty, delicate straps to peek out of my summer clothes. Some people think it looks trashy, but you can't please everyone.
- I mostly go for airy fabrics, so if I think I'm going to be photographed (a modern problem, what with all the camera phones), I take a picture of myself beforehand to make sure nothing is too transparent.
- AC makes me freeze, so I always carry a jacket or shawl that can be rumpled into a tiny ball in my bag without getting wrinkly. Still looking for the best fabric for this, suggestions anyone? If it's light-colored, I keep it in a small pouch in my handbag so it doesn't get dirty easily.
- Trying to wear heels daily this year, but my feet get too swollen in the heat. Even flats with very thin straps hurt my swollen feet. So I'm looking for sturdy sandals with a moderate wedge or heel (but not kitten heel, don't like those). Why are they so hard to find??
- I always grow out my fringe around March/April so that I can pin it back come summer. A tiny detail that saves me a lot of trouble.
- Forego most jewellery and non-utilitarian accessories. How can people stand to wear things like scarves in the summer? I accessorize with earrings, which don't rest on the skin, and nail color. Only wear a belt if the outfit needs definition.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 20-03-2009 at 04:43 AM.
20-03-2009
backstage pass

I despise summer. Just thinking about it gets me annoyed! I've bought some light and airy alex wang-esque tank tops, but other than that, I don't even want to think about it.

Power to the 99%

^ Agree with you about synthetics (and for me that is year round). I have one or two things that have a percentage of nylon--that is a mistake. Btw, rayon isn't really synthetic--it's made from trees like ramie and Lyocell. Ramie can be a bit rough, but I think all three are breatheable.

For the shoes, what about espadrilles? I've also noticed that certain brands are more likely to do chunky heels. I like mine from Dolce & Gabbana, and Prada also does them many years. Marc Jacobs does them ... One of the biggest gripes I have with stilettos is they get stuck in the seams of paving as you're striding along Not very elegant, and it can damage them. It really annoys me to have to watch that I don't "step on a crack, break your mother's back [really break your own lovely shoes]" like a 7-year-old.

Personally I am thrilled that you are making Tim Gunn unhappy with your straps. Who asked him, I'd like to know ...

I typically alternate days between heels and flats, unless I've worn the heels for only a few hours. They are just too hard on your feet IMO, you have to give them a chance to recover ...

20-03-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Personally I am thrilled that you are making Tim Gunn unhappy with your straps. Who asked him, I'd like to know ...
Project Runway, right? His sage advice hasn't reached our shores yet, lord help us.

Rayon is a peculiar fiber, as it straddles between natural and synthetic, but it is very comfy. Another great summer fiber is hemp, but it's hard to find well-designed hemp clothing, probably because of negative associations.

20-03-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, and I believe he's written a style book now (formerly a Parsons prof). Honestly, I am so tired of pronouncements from the likes of Tim Gunn He can be perfect all he wants, the creases in his pants just so, shoes perfectly polished, hair perfectly cut, it's fine with me. So what if he looks completely AR But don't go telling women what they should & should not be doing I feel much the same way about Adam Glassman (the style editor of O Magazine, who is wont to make similar pronoucements). I always want to ask, Do you have any skin in this game? Loosen up, baby, loosen up ...

22-03-2009
V.I.P.

In the summer I usually just end up wearing jean cut off shorts with a loose flowy top. The only problem I run into is that a lot of these tops are sheer so I have to wear an extra tank underneath.

23-03-2009
backstage pass

Is it appropriate to wear black boots and or wet look leggings in the summer? Well technically fall began 2 days ago, but the weather is still warm. I'm just such a fall dresser, 60-degree weather is my ideal.

23-03-2009
Power to the 99%

^ When it is actually fall but still warm, I start to wear some fall clothes. My major criterion is whether I can stand it :p Not heavy tweeds ... basically you don't want to make yourself miserable, or others when they look at you, is my theory I like short sleeved cashmere-blend sweaters, for example ...

PS We have a summer to fall transition thread, I'll bump it for you ...

24-03-2009
front row

my recipe for summer heat is quite simple:
linen or thin cotton, loose cuts, hats (they really help to keep my head cool, and it makes such an overall difference), open shoes and big thin cotton shawls to throw over my shoulders and arms when the sun gets to much for my skin.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasolineRainbow View Post
- AC makes me freeze, so I always carry a jacket or shawl that can be rumpled into a tiny ball in my bag without getting wrinkly. Still looking for the best fabric for this, suggestions anyone? If it's light-colored, I keep it in a small pouch in my handbag so it doesn't get dirty easily.
I'd go for something like this

topshop.com

I just really like parkas, they can be folded easily. Love the hood too, it's always rainy in Denmark

we were in love

24-03-2009
trendsetter

Thank you, that jacket is so perfect for this time of the year, when I rely on a windbreaker for chillier days. But alas, it is no good for summer, that glossy material would trap too much heat, and I actually need to wear a jacket indoors (air-conditioning), not outdoors, lol.

24-03-2009
V.I.P.

wow summer style threads are already popping up? and here i am inside a house freezing and wearing a very thick wool hairy sweater... (#_#);; but alas i am in Canada...

gasolinerainbow i find that fabric the_ida posted is quite light-weight and thin i don't think it will keep you hot.. and if you get a slightly bigger size there will be room for air to circulate.

i think you can just search anti-wrinkle, wrinkle resistant clothing.. nowadays you can get a cotton shirt or jacket with an anti-wrinkle finish
but the parka posted is a very common material used in jackets that can be folded into tiny pouches, bags or inside the pocket right on the jacket.

i think they call it rip stop nylon or nylon taffeta

i had a fascination with these some time ago
for the wrinkle resistance and also that it could be folded into a lightweight pocket

24-03-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I just always keep a black cardigan on my desk chair at work for A/C emergencies rather than carrying anything with me ... atm I'm working out of my home office though, so I and only I control the thermostat :p

24-03-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ When it is actually fall but still warm, I start to wear some fall clothes. My major criterion is whether I can stand it :p Not heavy tweeds ... basically you don't want to make yourself miserable, or others when they look at you, is my theory I like short sleeved cashmere-blend sweaters, for example ...

PS We have a summer to fall transition thread, I'll bump it for you ...
Ah thank you. I was thrown off by a hemisphere switch back in February where I went from below zero (F) to in the 90's (F).

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beat, dressing, heat