How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-06-2009
V.I.P.

today was the hottest ever..

it was interesting though, everybody outside and in my class were wearing really wonderful, colourful clothes
a fine black tank under a ribbed blue one with an orange ikat silk scarf. fine grey pants
a powder blue striped degrade tank under a loose-fitting white crinkled blouse with eyelets.. crinkled and with boat neck like prada s/s 09..
and my instructor's.. a slightly crinkled crispy robin's egg blue shirt-blouse with a trim in bright pink, pastel yellow and avocado for the collar, hem and sleeve cuff. the pencil skirt was interesting.. a heavier fabric, with woven vertical stripes.. thick colourful yarns going down, mimicking the trim on her shirt, and the next stripe would be a flat and fine soft grey..

as for me i wore full white for the first time in ages.
pants were grey with very thin white, criss-crossing degrade stripes
i was sweating though. and the sun makes people smell. i have to find something better to wear...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I really like wash linen dresses/skirts for the heat, but I literally wore out my last linen skirt and haven't seen anything to replace it with yet. Most important of all ... no hose, at all, I mean never ... except maybe for a wedding or something. All natural fibers, of course ... but that's a rule in my wardrobe year round

I do wear silk when it's hot, but it's not my favorite ... just hard to avoid.

And you have to mentally shield yourself from the heat, just like extreme cold. I can will myself not to sweat :p (Yes, mom, I said sweat )
why not ??
i reread this thread, and some people find silk makes them sweat too, holding in their body heat

is linen actually refreshing?
i was thinking if it was a sort of unevenly textured linen.. i've seen some linen that is a bit smooth.. the uneven texture makes it so that it doesn't lie flat on the skin..so that's why it feels cooler
same idea with crepe fabrics

03-06-2009
backstage pass

I struggle so much with summer fashion... this post has been fab for ideas... thanks to all

04-06-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
has anyone tried bamboo?

i read it is cool on the skin
(and also naturally anti-odour, anti-bacterial)

i was going to buy some the other day but it was pretty expensive, so i'm going to look for another store... the woman there showed me one fabric of it and it had a really nice sheen, like silk and a heavy drape
Yes, I have some ... I think it's rayon made of bamboo. I quite like it, very soft ...

04-06-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
today was the hottest ever..

it was interesting though, everybody outside and in my class were wearing really wonderful, colourful clothes
a fine black tank under a ribbed blue one with an orange ikat silk scarf. fine grey pants
a powder blue striped degrade tank under a loose-fitting white crinkled blouse with eyelets.. crinkled and with boat neck like prada s/s 09..
and my instructor's.. a slightly crinkled crispy robin's egg blue shirt-blouse with a trim in bright pink, pastel yellow and avocado for the collar, hem and sleeve cuff. the pencil skirt was interesting.. a heavier fabric, with woven vertical stripes.. thick colourful yarns going down, mimicking the trim on her shirt, and the next stripe would be a flat and fine soft grey..

as for me i wore full white for the first time in ages.
pants were grey with very thin white, criss-crossing degrade stripes
i was sweating though. and the sun makes people smell. i have to find something better to wear...why not ??
i reread this thread, and some people find silk makes them sweat too, holding in their body heat

is linen actually refreshing?
i was thinking if it was a sort of unevenly textured linen.. i've seen some linen that is a bit smooth.. the uneven texture makes it so that it doesn't lie flat on the skin..so that's why it feels cooler
same idea with crepe fabrics
Yes, silk doesn't breathe very well. Linen is supposed to be the best, better than cotton. The problem, of course, is that if it's woven, it wrinkles. I want to get some light linen knits ...

05-06-2009
V.I.P.

I am waiting for the summer heat... It was 60 here today

05-06-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Yes, silk doesn't breathe very well. Linen is supposed to be the best, better than cotton. The problem, of course, is that if it's woven, it wrinkles. I want to get some light linen knits ...
Never thought of that...
Knits not wrinkling... I think I've had some t-shirts (jersey) that have wrinkled/creased unless it had some polyester in it

I guess if you are after any kind of fabric, it will have to be anything that is like a mesh... Your skin gets to breathe no matter what

11-06-2009
windowshopping

I live in the tropics, where it is either hot and humid or hot and dry or hot and rainy. Summery dresses go a long way, and so do denim shorts. Gladiator sandals, even flipflops are essential. I know flipflops are considered "un-fashionable" or whatever your next fashion guru will tell you, but when your toes get sticky, you will thank your havaianas for existing. And some ridiculously amazing sunnies are a definite must.

05-07-2009
Power to the 99%

Never mind dressing for the heat ... I've concluded it's best to just come home to the delicious A/C and take your clothes off ... and clip your hair on top of your head so your neck can breathe.

05-07-2009
blink once. blink twice.

^ i love it when my neck feels naked like that,

tfs star

Welcome to the heat of Southeast Texas! I don't have any tank tops, shorts, or sandals (though I'm recently considering getting some sandals). So I mostly go with a T-shirt (maybe a polo), some jeans, and either my sneakers or my ankle boots. Some shirts of mine are of lightweight fabrics. I sadly ripped a small hole in the first shirt I was wearing. And so, I changed into one of my Houston Texans jerseys. If you really want heat, come down to Texas. The sun will cook you really good down here.

Noblesse oblige

We don't have a lot of really hot days, so I am always struggling at least to wear my summer dresses once every year

My favorite when it is awfully hot is this very thin silk dress from Zara which also protects against the sun.

05-07-2009
windowshopping

Florida is the Mecca of summer heat and tropical humdity. I hate it and I'm a native, I try to maintain a consistent style. So adapting and dressing the way you love is very annoying. I usually go for light colored plaids made of thin cottons, salvaged denim and canvas sneakers, like converse or vans. Can't wait for fall and winter.

flaunt the imperfection

with summer heat advisories on for about 3 days now...
it's pretty much impossible to beat the heat...

my very lame strategy is just to wear some flimsy inexpensive dress that i can throw in the washing machine when i get home because it will be soaked with perspiration...
it's pretty much impossible to avoid...

the worst part is that i have to take 2-3 showers every single day!...
so ridiculous...

i wouldn't even go outdoors if i could avoid it!

19-08-2009
Riot Bug

i cover myself like protecting me from the sun when that happens...but i guess the most interesting way its wear natural light clothes made of cotton that transpire and flip flops if that possible or avoid shoes that can make you feel more tired...light ones maybe...
Drink water should be included as part of the outfit... you know a cute lil' bottle.

My other strategy of covering myself also works as i don't feel my skin burning but i try to choose cotton light pieces if the heat is soo much... and of course better white than black...even when black rocks more...

Soviet Camaro

Light-colored t-shirts with tank top underneath; paradoxically, I find it cooler to have two layers. Lightweight, light colored jeans. And after a lifetime of refusing to wear shorts, on the hottest days, I have to admit that even knee-length shorts are a lot cooler than jeans, so now I have a couple of pairs.

I'm still wearing boots, though.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beat, dressing, heat