How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-07-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post

Psst.. I wonder how do people deal with humidity when it's so constant (like in NY), we had a lot of humidity some days ago (rare for where I live) and I honestly didn't want to leave the house, all clothes feel sticky the moment you're out on the sauna, I mean street, makeup's destroyed and obviously the only way you can deal with hair is by tying it up in a chignon .. I've started to rely A LOT on jewelry, only earrings though, cause even my watch feels sticky too.
where, i live is very humid. i dug a few t shirt dresses out of the back of my wardrobe - they are made of cotton and modal. that helped a lot. and when i get home from my air conditioned office i sometimes change into daisy dukes (its uncouth i know) as my apartment doesnt have central air conditioning. (its very rare in apartments where i live) and my AC window unit can only cool the living room to about 70-83 depending on how awful it is outside.

the worst is when the sweat builds up behind your knees. i carry kleenex and wet wipes around in my purse for this purpose.

i was up in your neck of the woods in may and i adopted a slow moseying pace so i wouldnt exert myself and get all sweaty. i called it slug speed!

22-07-2012
V.I.P.

It gets really hot & humid, only after rain, where I live in the Summer. A few weeks ago it was 103F/39C for almost a whole week! I usually wear really breezy, airy dresses and pull my hair up. But on lazy days I always opt for athletic shorts & random t-shrits. Like MP, I rarely wear any jewelry, except earrings or a ring. There really is not many ways to beat the heat for me, its always so hot for most of the year.

23-07-2012
rising star

Wearing lighter colors really does seem to help.
Generally I don't like to wear sandals but my feet get so hot! They are the only option in summer.
Shower with Peppermint soap. It really is cooling.
Drink water with cucumber slices in it.
Things that fit loosely - especially around the underarms and torso.

23-07-2012
scenester

It's mid-summer weather in New York now. So my staples are loose white tees, chiffon dresses for layering, I'm obsessed with layers btw , and one too many white shorts.

Power to the 99%

Sometimes when it gets really hot I powder my legs after I shower when I'm going to be wearing a skirt. There is possibly nothing worse than the feeling that your legs might bond in the heat

I have a couple solid color cotton A-line skirts with ruching in the front that I bought for a trip to New Orleans. (I went in July/August, and several times a day I'd go back to my room and change. Extreme measures, but what could I do?) Those are pretty good ... I believe we have a long skirt thread that might have some ideas for you. We can't let you go around looking like Cousin It Those broom skirt things are of course the worst. I work with someone who has one in red and green patchwork print cotton with a coordinating knit top ... Try to contain your jealousy.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 23-07-2012 at 09:31 PM.
25-07-2012
flaunt the imperfection

the most important thing for any summer garment is that it is machine washable...
like MP said- when it's so hot that everything is sticking to you, you really need to be able to wash the stuff (repeatedly) to get it fresh...
dry cleaning just won't do it...

as a result, as Lucy mentioned, a lot of my higher end designer stuff doesn't get a lot of wear during the hottest days...
i save it for evenings and cooler days...

MP- I also agree on the jwlry thing---
I stick to just one bracelet and some small earrings...and small charm necklaces...

baby powder is my friend...

Last edited by softgrey; 25-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
26-07-2012
flaunt the imperfection

oh yeah---
and get out of the city at every opportunity......
:p

01-08-2012
windowshopping

We have 37 degrees (don't know how much it is in Fahrenheit system, but trust me it's HOT). So I look really trashy nowdays: micro shirts and strapless top

The other day I decided to wear a maxi skirt Ended up holding up my skirts hem

01-08-2012
front row

I wear black t-shirts and jeans; just like during the other seasons. I've lived in the hot and humid climate here in Columbia for so long, I've gotten used to it.

vertebrae by vertebrae

I dress the same all year long basically. hot is hot is hot in georgia, no matter what youre wearing.

02-08-2012
Power to the 99%

When it gets over 100, I do change the way I dress a bit. I do wear silk in the summer when the occasion calls for it, but I have a good dry cleaner, and I also drive--there isn't really public transportation here. Still, the car can be pretty damn hot when you get in no matter how high you crank the AC--and I have leather seats. I don't layer in extreme heat, I like things to be fairly loose, and cotton is your friend. Extreme heat has a way of pointing out holes in your wardrobe ... I plan to shop tomorrow for some additional heat-friendly things.

21-08-2012
V.I.P.

I'm always in such a dilemma when it comes to picking the right shoes on a hot day. Today it's going to be 36°C and I'm meeting friends for an early dinner outside in a restaurant at the lake. I know there will be a storm and rain later in the evening so sandals aren't really an option. But wearing Converse sneakers to dinner isn't really nice either. I will probably end up wearing high heeled ankle boots, and take shoe deodorant with me
It's generally a problem that I live in the mountains and it gets pretty cold early in the morning and late in the evening in summer, I almost always wear long skinny jeans and take my leather jacket with me even when it's way over 30°C throughout the day because it's too cold for shorts when I leave the house

27-08-2012
rising star

I find it really hard to dress when its hot... layering is out of the question and having as little as possible on you is a necessity if you dont want to faint from the heat.
I actually dont like summer at all.

22-07-2013
backstage pass

At the moment it mainly about dressing to beat the humidity that comes with the heat..
Everything sticks, it's gross. Teflon clothing would be very welcome.

22-07-2013
trendsetter

I mostly wear white during those hot days, preferably sleeveless tops, shorts (because I find a skirts that short pretty undecent and inappropriate, every breath of wind can lift it) and leather sandals.
All clothes made of light natural materials of course. I just hate everything from polyester, even more during summer.
That's unfortunately all I can do in desire to look chic. I hate summers in the city because of that.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beat, dressing, heat