How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2013
tfs star

It's all about light, loose, bright, breathable and comfortable clothing. I mostly wear shorts with loose tops, dresses (occasionally skirts) + flat sandals.
I as well can't stand polyester and other similar fabrics.

I'm guilty of wearing my hair up or braided almost all the time (this is how I make my life more bearable in heat ). I also don't wear jewelry except pearl earrings, but my sunglasses and I are inseparable.

25-06-2015
fashion insider

as a Seattleite I'm bracing myself for the forecasted 90 degree(!!!!) weekend.
the heat is insane, an average of 80 degrees lately which is about 20 degrees warmer than the typical Seattle weather for this time of year. Can you say global warming!? But that's a whole nother kettle of fish!

Anywhoo, I've been looking around for some light colored legging preferably patterned in light, neutral tones i can wear for work AND play to be worn under long shirts /dresses/skirts in a versatile pattern so it goes with the rest of my wardrobe.

Any suggestions or sightings?

I used to own some great Toile de Jouy patterned dresses and shirts but silly me gave them away/ donated them

Wearing pure white or beige just isn't practical especially now that I work in a deli kitchen.

I'm thinking patterned white, beige but that's a bit tricky when I don't wanna spend loads of money and shop mainly at thrift stores because of my petit frame.

backstage pass

The heat has landed.

My summer wardrobe lacks a pair of summer trousers. At the moment it's really too hot to wear anything but shorts but I refuse to go to work in shorts.
I'm not a big fan of linnen so I hope I'll be able to find something with a loose fit and breathable that isn't linnen.

4 Weeks Ago
Power to the 99%

The same is true here ... just yesterday I added to my wishlist "a pair of lightweight summer trousers." I have some cotton cargo-style capris that I would like in a full-length style. I am making do with what I have ... but next year I plan to add some.

4 Weeks Ago
fashion insider

"Summer" fashion inspiration: the forever sultry and stylish Anna Magnani shot by Federico Patellani, heating things up in 1945:

[ellastica scan] PS Proper crediting and linking matters: Please link back to this post if you post this elsewhere. Thank you!

fashion insider

Sofia Coppola in Buenos Aires 2008:

purepeople.com

tfs star

I am officially melting. Currently I am on festival, and can get away with almost anything clothing-wise, but I am dreading having to go to work and actually look professional on Monday.

4 Weeks Ago
tfs star

^^ Wearing jeans and two layers on top, one being long sleeved ... The heat sure got beaten

V.I.P.

^^ oh god I hear you! that feeling when you're fresh out of the shower only to start sweating (while still wet), and have to dress up for work, and don't get me started on putting makeup on while sweating.

I'm guessing that Sofia pic is from the spring or late summer there, Buenos Aires summers are too humid and crazy hot for layers and regular denim.

Anyway I still swear by linen, it feels as gross as anything else but it dries fast and even when it's not dry it doesn't look too unfortunate (I think?). I love MHL's linen shirts, they're so boxy and still feminine and office friendly, the trousers are awesome too. Also the linen lines by Uniqlo and Muji have great pieces (their dresses!- perfect length, color and always pockets) and tend to be affordable and good quality.. I was in Palm Desert at 43 to 45 some weeks ago and linen and thick loose denim kept me in a good mood.

I cannot stand all black winter outfits (makes me feel so odious), but black and navy are my favorites when the heat is crazy. I don't know why people always say it's whites and florals, the sun hit you harder? something about dark colors accumulating temperature..well, not if it's loose!

The upside of having to look professional when it's so hot and you will be running across town all day and being in AC deprived places such as a subway station is that by the afternoon, when you get home and feel disgusting.. taking a shower and laying naked with a fan on until the heat goes down and the fake air starts getting mixed with real evening air, putting on clothes will feel like one of the greatest pleasures on earth.

fashion insider

SC ever the trend-setter in Birkenstocks, pre-tumblr era fashion craze. That gauzey, linen or cheesecloth type fabric on Sofia looks quite versatile and breathable imo. One of my favorite looks of hers. Reminds me of all of those beautiful vaguely ethnic, Cali vibe tops Phoebe Philo sent down the runway for Chloe SS 2004.

During "summer" or hotter months I'm a big fan of lightweight white printed tank tops or even better re-usable breast petals.

I abhor bras no matter the season, so the petals are a godsend and allows me to skip the suffocating padding and wiring, year round actually!

I do love a faded, light-wash textured jean, which is surprisingly breathable during say 70 or 80 degree days but in the 90s the textured, printed light colored skirts or sporty, utilitarian skirts are a must for me.

My long standing fetish for Hawaiian print shirts and dresses surfaces and are readily found at the local thriftstore. They instantly brighten your mood and put you at ease and are great conversation pieces.

front row

I am travelling to Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei soon and to be honest I am completely freaking out I am used to 35C+ in the South of France but it is not as humid and what we tend to do is stay indoor with the windows closed or put the aircon on

However, I want to make the most of my trip so for the first time in my life I have bought shorts (well since my mother stopped dressing me). It was quite difficult to find the correct length but I found one in linen that I really look forward to wearing! I also bought a couple of vest and a sun hat.. I don't know how to work out my sunglasses situation so I will have to see what I will do..

One question regarding skincare/makeup: what do you do? I don't wear makeup on a daily basis but I was hoping to spice things up a little bit so lipstick is fine I guess but what about councillor and eye makeup? Good or bad idea? Also when it comes to skincare can I keep my regular routine or should I always carry an atomizer or some wipes?

Thank you

flaunt the imperfection

have a great trip eva...
i haven't been there so i don't have specific advice, but i will say that i had a plan for when i got to japan but it changed once i got there...(much more humid than anticipated- also couldn't bare as much skin as usual)
maybe leave room in your luggage and budget to adjust and perhaps purchase some things when you get there once you see how it is and how the locals handle the heat...
they are going to have all the appropriate stuff available there...
and probably at very reasonable $$

regarding layers/undergarments...
i got this in grey and in black...
works great under all my cutaway tanks and dresses and anything that is a bit low cut...
took the pads out immediately and am very happy with the result...

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/wom...r/airism/bra/~

uniqlo strikes again!

Last edited by softgrey; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:32 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beat, dressing, heat