How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-09-2006
front row

Well, I go to uni in england...and what i normally wear during winter is a nice warm coat, jeans tucked into boots, scarf, etc. A down parka is also always a good idea as it rains a lot too. Also, a lot of black, grey, etc...Londoners wear a LOT of black.

20-09-2006
tfs star

i go to uni in london so bring chunky knits, grey skinny jeans, black equestrian boots, long black princess coat and a plaid scarf is a starting point, so build around this. grey is hot this winter so most londoners will be swapping black for grey, though black is very practical for a girl about town. London is very dressy-casual.

20-09-2006
trendsetter

^surley thats how to follow the trends in london this winter?
why would you want to dress like everyone else in london?

just bring a coat and wear what you usually wear

21-09-2006
tfs star

its not following trends because that is something i was wearing last winter about town. its a casual outfit and that basic outfit can be matched with so many different things to create so many different looks.

28-10-2006
backstage pass

I've never had to endure a cold winter in my life! This year I'm missing out on our Aussie Summer to visit Europe in Winter, and I have no idea what to expect in terms of how cold it will be and what to wear! What would you suggest? This is my packing list so far...
- fold-up umbrella, waterproof overjacket
- scarf and a beanie, lined leather gloves
- thermal undertop and pants
- 2 pairs of jeans
- flannel pajamas and bed socks
- 2 long-sleeve cotton tops and 2 knits
- black winter coat
- 2 pairs of boots (black + cream)

Also is it possible to wear skirts with stockings underneath? Would I freeze my *** off?

Thanks

28-10-2006
V.I.P.

Yeah I live here in Seattle also and our winters are mild, meaning WET and cool, with it rarely snowing. That, I am thankful for. I find that I wear a lot of the same stuff I wear in fall, maybe adding a layer or two, which will be:

Jacket-I buy my jackets from a brand called Static because they are in juniors sizing, and I only wear that kind of sizing (best fit for me)-one is a silvery faux snakeskin blazer-style jacket, and the other is a brown coat, about knee length, but my stupid mom made me get it in an XL. However I can put a sweatshirt on underneath if I'll be outside for a long time.

Shirts-I pretty much wear the same things that I always do, except the halter tops go away until March unless I'll be at a dance.

Bottoms-I don't wear shorts often during the winter, I usually stick to cropped gauchos, as I will never wear long pants as long as I live. If it gets cold I'll wear a printed tight underneath. I will wear skirts though.

Shoes-Usually, flip-flops. Avon has these slippers with memory foam, not the most attractive, but I tend to wear them with some fun socks. Wanted also has these slip-on shoes that I'll wear with socks, since you don't want to wear those without.

Accessories-If it gets really cold, I have a pair of earmuffs from GAP that I got 8 years ago and have worn ONCE but they're cute. I make a ton of scarves so I could wear a different scarf every day for 3 weeks and those are just the ones I've made, and then $2 stretch gloves, they work decently.

Oh, and trip-if you're affiliated with PETA you wouldn't be wearing wool either. I'm not affiliated with PETA but you don't see wool, cashmere, silk, or any other uncomfortable materials in my closet.

16-12-2007
front row

Dressing for cold weather? (NYC)
I've been too busy to read TFS (and shop for that matter) and now I'm waaaay behind on my winter wardrobe! I need a few suggestions for the winter:

-Warm coat (any dark color)
-Boots
to name a few...

I'm going to NYC in January and have NO idea what to wear. Its cold here, but not that cold and don't have a clue how to dress for really cold weather. I figure I would need waterproof boots in NYC. Would rain boots would acceptable? Also, I need coat ideas since I only have a trench. Is wool and/or cashmere OK it if snows?

Its not that cold at night here (in the range 40 degrees) but I am COLD, so whatever I get would be useful here too.

I'm looking for general tips for looking nice, but stay warm and actual clothing/shoes ideas.

I'm going to a party and would like to dress up, but not freeze.

I guess for my budget I would like the boots and coat under $300 each if thats possible...

16-12-2007
scenester

Scarves! Chunky heels and tights/socks combinations! Hats and gloves, layers.

16-12-2007
trendsetter

fur jacket / coat ~ warmest thing ever, classic item, will last for ages (if you buy a decent one) and looks great.

Scarves

Boots are also a must - get ones which fit well. I recall Century 21 having loads in when I went a couple of years ago.

Easy peasy

16-12-2007
front row

Scarves for sure! I have several, but need to get more. I love the chunky heels (easy to walk in!)/tights ideas. I have several over the knee socks are are lifesavers in cold weather. I also need gloves and Ill be set.

Now, I'm still trying to find a good coat and maybe a pair of rain boots.

16-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by baRose View Post
rain boots
It's just winter, not the day after tomorrow. Unless there is a lot of snow/rain and the streets are all slushy, I don't think you need to dress in rubber.

16-12-2007
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondes View Post
It's just winter, not the day after tomorrow. Unless there is a lot of snow/rain and the streets are all slushy, I don't think you need to dress in rubber.
Maybe just treated leather boots would be OK.

16-12-2007
fashion elite

Don't be too freaked out by the weather. Frankly, it doesn't matter how warm you dress, if its one of those horrific New York winter days, you'll freeze regardless. I do not know if there is any coat out there that the wind won't wip right through on a bad day, so really wool/cashmere is just as good as anything else. My biggest thing is WARM gloves. Your hands will really freeze if you don't have good gloves on. I went out briefly today w/o gloves and my skin is already a little cracked (and its not even winter cold yet). Ditto for a really warm, big scarf. I usually wear a big chunky scarf that covers the bottom of my face. Also, bring some ear muffs, because if your ears are exposed they will freeze. I have some ghetto ones they sell on the street, because frankly I don't see them as fashionable no matter what they look like and I never have them on for more than 10 minutes. Just get some cheep, plain ones to keep on hand. As far as footwear... if you are worried about snow then any boot with good grip on the bottom is good. If its really bad, you probably won't be walking far, so I wouldn't say you need wellies. If you generally get very cold, bring some long underwear/thermals so you don't have to even think about pants.

trendsetter

I don't live in NYC, but Toronto has pretty similar weather.
Thermals are really good. The American Apparel ones are really warm.. layer them under a sweater and it really makes a difference.

16-12-2007
the crying of humanity

It's cold here year round and I don't dress specially for the conditions - I just wear whatever I feel like. That means I wear sneakers in the snow, short sleeve shirts in the rain, and shorts in the wind.

But then again I'm also immune to cold weather.

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter