How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-12-2007
& b

im freezing in miami and its not even THAT cold.

16-12-2007
fashion insider

I think rain boots is a bit extreme. A good pair of leather boots would be just fine, either ankle or knee length. Fall/winter pants or thick tights. Layering will also help keep warm for sure. And like most have mentioned, long, warm scarf is a must!

17-12-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro View Post
im freezing in miami and its not even THAT cold.
Oh, yes, I feel very sorry for you considering it's only 14 C in Miami right now, at two AM..

Now, what to wear today, considering it's -4 C (that's 25 F...) outside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
Also, bring some ear muffs, because if your ears are exposed they will freeze.
I have some earmuff-type things, but they aren't attached to each other, I just sort of pop them on my ears.

(from earbags.com)

At first they seem a bit goofy, but they are really warm and don't affect ones hair at all, so I'm very happy with them.

17-12-2007
front row

I subject my wool coat and cashmere scarf to the snow and rain all the time and they're fine. If what you meant was will it keep you warm enough it just depends on how much cold you can tolerate, I don't usually have issues if I keep moving, unless it goes down past -15 or so (5 Fahrenheit). Waiting around for a bus sucks though. :p

Leather or suede boots would be fine and you can get waterproof pairs, I don't think rainboots are necessary. I trudged through several feet of fresh snow with my suede boots today and my feet kept dry and the boots still look great, they've also been through slush and puddles a week or two ago. You can protect your boots with a spray if you like and wipe off any slush or dirt with a wet cloth.

Have fun in NYC!

17-12-2007
scenester

Second everyone who said get a good scarf, gloves, and maybe a hat. If your hands and head are warm you will be warm. I have a big thick cashmere scarf that keeps me really warm during Chicago winters!

Also, layering in general helps keep you warm.

17-12-2007
flaunt the imperfection

merged with a previous thread on the topic...
dressing for the cold in any city is pretty much the same...
and there are TONS of really good posts here that you can get ideas from!!!

Have fun in NYC!

18-12-2007
Frozen irony.

Does thermals work? I need some.... I am freezing my *** off now, it's not even funny. It is so hard to long great in really cold weather.

I think I need to find a chunky knitted hat... I do have scarf but they are more for the look than keeping warm.

25-12-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Does thermals work?
By that do you mean thermal pants? Because I know friends who wear thermal pants under their jeans/trousers in the dead of winter. It seems silly but no-one can tell and they keep you warm. Haha.

27-12-2007
tfs star

I have a waist-length down jacket, what should I wear below (pants, skirt, etc.) that to keep warm in northern Europe in January?

...or is it really necessary to go out of my way to buy a long coat/jacket?

13-01-2008
rising star

* The Winter leggings by American Apparel are very helpful. They are much warmer than regular leggings, they fit like a glove and do not add a lot of bulk under your clothes.
* Toe Socks!! These are the greatest. At first I was very resistant because i thought it looked weird and would feel weird. They keep the area between and around your toes dry and warm! The ones by Injinji at REI are good. It's the only reason I've ever been to REI. That place confuses me.
So many backpacks..and outdoorsy camping things...its like a strange land full of things I don't understand. There is also a place called www.sockdreams.com that has plenty. I haven't tried any of theirs yet.
Tip - Buy crew or taller. I bought ankle ones to wear under regular socks (like liners) they just keep falling down.

29-11-2008
front row

winter style
not sure if there's a thread already but want some inspiration for these dark cold months, some help and tips pls.
thank you.

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

bump for merging

21-12-2008
i'm almost ready..

it's been about -30C (-25F) for a week and a half so far where i am... hard to stay warm AND stylish at the same time!..hopefully this thread will give me some ideas...:p

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

This year I had to get new gloves, as my ugly brown leather gloves that stuck with me through an amazing number of winters disappeared during a business trip earlier this year after my own winter was over. I got some black cashmere English hand-knit long gloves, with this intricate baby popcorn design on the back, and little pearl buttons on the insides of the wrists. I find them much more inspiring than the old ones, although I miss the leather when it comes time to drive

21-12-2008
windowshopping

I just came back from a cruise yesterday in the Bahamas at 28C (80F) to Alberta, Canada -35C (-31F). Quite the temperature change and I am really freezing!! After shoveling the snow for a couple minutes I felt like my face and hands were getting frostbitten. I was watching Discovery Channel where those chaps were climbing Everest and the weather was about the same as it was here. It's the same latitude as Siberia actually. Every winter I vow to move to California or Florida where it's actually sane during December.

During this freezing patch, I wear thermal leggings, microfleece hoodies, puffy parkas, boots for sure. I have loads of pashmina scarves and leather gloves.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter