How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-12-2008
i'm almost ready..

Hey redart...i'm in alberta at the moment too...it's bloody cold!....what sort of boots do you wear? I'm going to have to look into microfleece too.. any brand suggestions you have for any of this stuff would be great I notice most people wear stuff from the north face or mountain equipment co-op..

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

You might try Patagonia for fleece ... they sometimes have things that are more attractive than the North Face stuff I see other people wearing They also offer a number of things made from recycled plastic bottles (just like any other polyester, just greener).

21-12-2008
front row

If I really like something that will make me cold i.e. I plan to wear my new raf simmons t shirt with a thin leather jacket.. I pop a vitamin c tablet and go out the door. Life is too short, although I say this and you will see me walking down the street like im about to embark on an arctic expedition!

windowshopping

Greetings Adorefaith, are you planning to stay in Alberta long? I can't wait to move somewhere warm! Maybe next year

For fitted microfleece/parkas/thermals you can't go wrong with Mountain Equipment Co-op, great quality and lots of selection. North Face is a bit 'too' puffy for me, it makes me look like a marshmallow. I wear thermal leggings almost everyday under jeans or pants because I get so cold easily. The thermals are black, very fitted, and a definite staple of my wardrobe, a constant repeat purchase.

I haven't a pair of the commonly seen UGG boots as I prefer something with more shape and heel. I've found lined boots with a bit of stacked heel at Aldo and Kenneth Cole, and if it's rubber soled at the bottom that'll prevent slipping on icy surfaces (learning from past experience).

My hands turn blue from bad circulation and with the deep freeze it's not a pretty sight! You can never have too many gloves or pashminas, but I like scarves in ultra loud colors like turquoise or apricot. Hope this helps!

i'm almost ready..

thanks for the suggestion ta-ta!

redart, yeah i think i will be here for a while....so i don't mind investing in some good stuff! i agree with you about the north face puffy stuff....people look like the michelin men walking around in those jackets but they also look so warm that i end up envying them so far i have avoided thermal leggings because i hate feeling bulky and they seem to stick underneath jeans.. does that make sense? but perhaps i need to buy some in a more 'slippery' fabric so they don't create that kind of friction underneath jeans and trousers!

i found some lovely boots by la canadienne online, will just have to locate a store near me and check out the prices... i definitely need warmer boots

thanks for the tips! maybe you should move to Sydney.. that's where i'm from... i promise it is lovely and warm

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

duofold, patagonia
These would go with your pink Converse, no? I wear these at home & to bed when it's really cold. I have some in a pretty periwinkle color. They're cotton inside, wool on the outside (these are a merino wool/poly blend). The Duofold site looks like it has tons of warm stuff for sports & just staying warm.

This is Patagonia's eco fleece (on sale):

21-12-2008
i'm almost ready..

yeah, they're cute!.. okay, you've inspired me to go shopping for thermals tomorrow..

not sure about the fleece though...i know it must be so warm but i can't seem to bring myself to wear something like that...it's so sporty..:p

21-12-2008
Power to the 99%

^ I love fleece, and I have never been accused of being sporty It's so wonderfully soft when it's brand new ... very touchable. And definitely warm ...

21-12-2008
i'm almost ready..

maybe black would be better for me... that pastel colour would be horrible on me is fleece bad for static? it's so dry here....

21-12-2008
front row

What shoe protector do you use to keep your leather boots from salt damage? I bought the "Zamberlan Hydrobloc Proofing Cream" at Mountain Equipment Co-op but I'm wondering if there is anything better out there??

22-12-2008
fashion icon

I like the pink thermals,I have grey ones. Not that the colour really matters,I wear them under trousers. I need a good pair of winter boots though,but the ones with the best grip to combat the snow and ice never seem to be very attractive

22-12-2008
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
maybe black would be better for me... that pastel colour would be horrible on me is fleece bad for static? it's so dry here....
Well, it is synthetic ... I just find that there is nothing like it for warmth. Humidifiers help with the static, btw ...

22-12-2008
tfs star

Simple. Save the Winter boots and really heavy warm stuff unless it's actually freaking cold outside! It's the fashion don't I continually attack while nobody says a damn thing about the look like I'm a bluffing idiot. I think back to the little girl I seen in Bermuda shorts and big Winter boots on a rather warm December day in nearby Pearland, TX. I can't truly comment on what works because I don't have too much cold weather fashion knowledge. The important thing to me is that you dress up according to the weather. You don't wear short-shorts and flip-flops on a snowy day in Helsinki. You don't wear furry Winter boots tucked into jeans on a Summer day in Phoenix or Honolulu.

I guess I'll go back to Christmas Eve 2004 here in Houston. My mother recommended I wear one of my sweat pants. I was wearing longjohns underneath and wearing some of my sneakers. I know somebody's going to disagree with me, but there is no style with trying to stay warm. You're mostly dressing to stay warm and not out to look cute. Like my mom said on a cold day once when I was at the mall, "it's too cold to try to look cute!" That's when I've mostly seen lots of flip-flops, cropped jackets, and that sort of thing on... either a 40s or 50s degree day (Farenheit, of course).

If you were to learn from me- a guy from a place where it doesn't get bitter cold too often for too long, just dress normally and only wear warmer garments on colder days. I have a few jackets. One is a windbreaker while some others are for cool days. I have two coats for very cold days. My mom is basically my stylist. She'll tell me right away to avoid wearing a certain garment or garments for specific days. I usually ask her what it's like outside. Invest in some cold weather clothes, understand what it's like outside, and for a better-safe-than-sorry, get some clothing for really cold weather and ONLY wear those if it's that cold. Best advice- dress accordingly.

trendsetter

Looking good in subzero temperatures is still important to me, as winter is the only time I actually dress well. I abhor hot weather. I understand not everyone is a winter person, so I would just recommend investing in a very warm coat in a classic style that you can wear for many years. It doesn't necessarily have to suit your specific style as long as it's still 'nice' and of good material.

Leggings are fantastic. I don't care how warm one's coat is, don't subject your poor legs to unnecessary torture. haha Actually I very little take my own advice. Sometimes layering many things on is too cumbersome for me so I just endure the cold, but still keep something more in the car. I'd still rather it were freezing cold than steaming hot.

One single thing that has always haunted me is finding a really warm glove. It seems all the gloves I've ever had, no matter how seemingly warm, still let my fingers turn to icicles if I'm out in subzero weather for more than a little while. I'm starting to wonder if there's any hope. But.. since it's been like -15F lately I just keep my hands in my pockets.

Last edited by pavement; 22-12-2008 at 10:40 PM.
23-12-2008
once more, with feeling

^ shearling mittens are quite warm.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter