How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-11-2011
backstage pass

Loved those looks... Im so loving fur is back in! In fact youve just reminded me of a thread I must revive!

I always think a winter look should look like something that will keep you warm as well as actually keep you warm... sorta love looks that remind me of things... If it resembles a cosy blanket of a furry bear... its gonna be like that and make you feel warm... and I just think winter fashion and keeping warm is all about the fabrics!!!! Im defo a fabric snob when it comes to winter!

05-12-2011
rising star

Everything revolves around a poloneck skivvy/sweater.

06-12-2011
front row

There are lots of nice recommendations in this thread. It's getting colder where I live - it's usually around 0°C in the winter. At the moment I'm having a hard time deciding what to wear. I usually wear jeans and boots and layers on top (often cashmere of wool sweaters). I've got two pairs of wool coats - but I somehow find it boring to look the same outside everyday...

07-12-2011
backstage pass

So happy I found this thread. Its starting to feel like winter outside where I live and i bought a new coat for winter. Ive been wearing basic thick heeled ankle boots most days to work since im able to dress however I want, but im having trouble figuring out what boots to wear with it. Im not sure if this is the right thread for me to ask this but based on the picture can anyone recommend a style of boot I can wear in the winter and still look chic?? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!

aritzia.com
http://aritzia.com/fashion/outerwear/rana-coat

14-12-2011
scenester

Maybe leather knee high boots. I saw a few photos online that might give you some inspiration:

http://lookbook.nu/look/1792266-Dancing-with-the-wind

http://ebayismyboyfriend.blogspot.co...mel-coats.html

15-12-2011
backstage pass

Thanks tiger-lily I really like the second link.

25-10-2012
fashion icon

Once again it's time to revive this thread! The days are getting shorter and the weather is getting colder! I am in need of a new fleece jacket for the fall weather and am thinking about getting a North Face (which I realize isn't the most elegant of looks..but sometimes it's not just about fashion). However, I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions? If I found something great that wasn't a fleece I'd purchase it, but I can't really think of any other good substitutes which are under $200 (and will actually keep me warm, not just look pretty).

backstage pass

Depends on where you live. Where I live (Montreal), buying a down jacket is the only way to get through winter! Fleece, wool, etc just isnt enough. So that's at least a 400$ investment. :/

25-10-2012
fashion icon

^Oh, I should have mentioned that I already have a warm winter jacket and this fleece would just be for the fall (and then later when it's starting to get warmer out again). And I live in upstate ny so I definitely know about cold weather!

V.I.P.

It's been so cold lately I've ventured into the foreign concept of gloves and sock layering...

I still feel bare legged even when I'm not and I don't know am I supposed to do, I hate the idea of wearing thermal stuff underneath... do people really do that? does it work?.

I'm relocating to snow-land in some weeks and things are only going to get colder... being from the desert my experience with snow was short-lived and tragic, I was permanently shaking, underdressed cause I'd keep forgetting something (a hat, a scarf, a sweater, bottoms layers) and was pretty much just missing the Siberian-style boiled potatoes cause I felt that miserable .... there must be something (a specific fabric or trick) more effective than a hundred layers. Fleece? (is it a must?). Foil? . Any tips/brands? (La Bordélique maybe? )...

fashion icon

^I think the best thing that you can do is invest in a properly warm winter jacket, one that will withstand the wind as well. Perhaps check out brands like Patagonia, North Face, Columbia, Marmot and stores like Eastern Mountain Sports (it's outdoor sports store). These are more 'out doorsy brands' but if you want a properly warm jacket, I'd try your luck with a brand like this before going high-end designer or whatever. I mean, they are designed to brave the weathers! I have my nice winter wool jacket and then I have a snowboard style jacket for the particularly cold and windy days. I personally don't have a down jacket but my mom and lot's of friends do and they swear by them too.

Besides a jacket, maybe treat yourself to a nice pair of wool or leather gloves? I'm personally a fan of leather gloves with a warm lining (mine's wool), I think they look chic and keep the cold out nicely. As to the question of thermals, I've definitely worn it at times, mainly while skiing but sometimes when I'm out and about. If you aren't used to the snowy weather then getting a nice, thin but warm thermal is probably a good idea (Under Armor is good. And I really do suggest looking at Patagonia because they have a ton of thermals and baselayers, in different colors and patterns too, they don't really look like they are thermals either which is nice). Oh, also, get yourself a nice pair of winter boots, you don't want your feet to get soaked from all the snow. There are a ton of great brands out there, I'm partial to L.L. Bean Boots, but then again I'm a Northerner through and through, and they are practically worn every day during the winter!

And finally, a word of advice that my dad always says, "There is no such thing as inappropriate weather just inappropriate clothing!" I know too many stupid people who don't ever invest in quality winter pieces and then are shivering their a** off. To which of course I laugh as I walk by in my nice winter jackets and bean boots!

Link to the thermals that I was talking about....
http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/wom...elayer?k=1E-6M

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 10-12-2013 at 05:48 PM.
10-12-2013
V.I.P.

i have a sheepskin aviator jacket from topshop that is good at blocking the cold and wind. i also have deerskin muffs.

currently, i am wearing a silk long john top underneath my sweater. the material is very thin - but it seems to block out some of the cold.

cashmere is the only knit that blocks out the cold. try buying them online from uniqlo.

i also wear tights underneath my pants on occasion.

10-12-2013
Power to the 99%

I grew up with snow and a majority-winter climate ... I always believed that most of it was mental toughness I had a snowmobile suit, useful for walking 6-8 blocks to the bus-stop in chest-deep snow. But for just going somewhere in the car, the coats and gloves I wore were quite similar to what I wear now for a much less severe winter. 20 or more below was very common, whereas this week the temperatures are 20-40 above, and this is a cold snap. (I did also have a hat and scarf, which I don't bother with now for normal moving around from place to place.)

It also takes a calendar year in my experience to adjust to a new climate.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 10-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.
11-12-2013
V.I.P.

Yoninah! thank you for such a lovely detailed response!, I can already tell I'll be going back to your info frequently in the next weeks as I'm trying to build a decent cold weather wardrobe.

The last part of your post is almost karmic, I have this mental hobbie (which I like to call "lol ") that basically consists of spotting tourists from colder climates at the beach just by the way they reveal (too much too soon), and things they carry (too much too- like they're about to have this lifetime encounter with a skin-predator called.. the sun). Now I guess the joke will be on me ..

Is REI as good as Eastern Mountain Sports? cause there's one about half an hour from where I live, I always see the Patagonia logo there but I never paid a visit because.. guess I never needed! I do love their designs though... I guess I worry more about thermals because as much as I feel fascinated by functional design in clothing (I run and go positively nuts at sports stores) I refuse to give up the idea of outwear that's admittedly more my taste and less my needs (*stupidpeopleinthecold*).

V.I.P.

REI is more expensive than EMS. REI also has a better return policy.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter