How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-10-2005
tfs star

I have great trouble with this,since I grew up in South Africa. I have had to learn layering,I still forget/lose my scarf/gloves all over the place,I forget that you can't have little bits of skin bare at your neck....and I feel like a pig-in-a-blanket in a coat .

27-10-2005
rising star

I pretty much layer and I tend to just wear sweaters or shirts over my tanks, t-shits & sleeveless shirts. Along with that, of course, comes the winter jacket and the scarves & gloves.

27-10-2005
V.I.P.

I normally wear a Tshirt or a shirt under a sweater, or a turtleneck+a cardigan (I don't have matching twin sets...I hate them). For bottom, I wear either wool pants+heels or wool pants tucked in UGGs or knee length skirts + legwarmer + UGGs or heels or rainboots.

The key is that I have a couple of coats for different weather. I have two coats for 40F-50F weather, one for 30-40F, and then when temperature is below 30F or even lower than zero, I have a DKNY full length down coat with a hood. That one is extremely warm. In the worst snowstorm, I once even put on a ski goggle to block the wind
A scarf is important, too.

27-10-2005
front row

I grew up in a warm climate, and likewise had to get used to dressing for cold weather. I take a kind of opposite approach from many - I *hate* layering. With a passion. (Socks is almost too much layering.)

I learned to look for really truly warm fabrics in outerwear. My best find ever was a resale store thick Hungarian wool cape (not quite Drac, but close). Under that I'd just have boots (ok, and socks), a warm pair of trousers and a sweater (nothing too fluffy, sheddy or scratchy). And gloves.

It really makes a difference whether you get things that are closely-woven so not much air really gets through, vs. open weave. And look into things like wool, silk, microfleece and anything in the world made by North Face.

Layering beyond what I mentioned makes me feel fat and kind of claustrophobic. I love the idea of the little kids' one-piece zipup suits that have everything from the footies to the hoodie built in.

If you can't dress in under a minute and undress in 15 seconds, you're overlayered in my book.

Last edited by cbcb; 27-10-2005 at 07:36 PM.
28-10-2005
rising star

I'm usually cold all the time, even in summer I'm the one who cozy's up under the blankets. In winter, I need a good jacket (have got several this saeson actually), tons of scarves, woolen tights, layers of sweaters/cardigans (love those cardigans!), leather gloves...
And for those norwegians in here; Ulvang undertøy!

28-10-2005
scenester

I live in Houston, Texas so it never gets really cold here, and never snows (with the excuse of last xmas when it snowed a bit) So yea, I usualy wear a hoodie or a warm long jacket. Or if its really cold I'll wear a hoodie and a jacket and some gloves. I never wear scarves because I feel weird when wearin em, like claustrophobic. never do hats. I prolly should but I doubt I will. Oh yea...HOT CHOCOLATE IS MY FRIEND!!!

~Sher~

29-10-2005
fashion icon

i get all fat and frumpy.
i am a shame to all living females.

30-10-2005
V.I.P.

I don't. I stay in bed till it goes away

I name and shame: Peterhouse College, Cambridge for not giving two f***ks about their students' health by having awful heating which is not on most of the time.

30-10-2005
ingenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
I name and shame: Peterhouse College, Cambridge for not giving two f***ks about their students' health by having awful heating which is not on most of the time.
welcome to student hall life. when I lived in halls I would end up wearing about five layers, including my coat, just to sit and study. it really is shameful what they force students to suffer, especially with residence costs being what they are...

like caffeine, I have two coats - one for semi-cold weather (which I'm using at the moment as we've not been plunged into the true depths of winter yet), and one for really cold weather (which I expect to be breaking out around december).
I'm really cold natured, so I tend to layer up underneath my coats quite a lot. long sleeved tees underneath v-necks or woolly cardigans...as well as that essential long scarf. I also love my little black beanie and my black beret, though it's not been cold enough to break them out just yet.
here, unfortunately, one must also worry about keeping the rain out as well as the cold. I actually am not a fan of boots (I much prefer delicate flat shoes), but I have to wear boots otherwise my feet get wet. boots are also good because they really do keep your legs warm!

30-10-2005
trendsetter

I bring out the scarves Ive made...I realllly wanna make one that looks like this scarf from the Dries Van Noten 04 collection..posted by morbidexistence n the scarves thread... sooo soo in love with those scarves

I'm also incorporating more tights and more light sweaters under coats.

30-10-2005
I am half-sick of shadows

Layers....a denim jacket under a coat...tights, knee-high socks, and boots. I take flats in my handbag and change my shoes at work.

I'm also on a one woman quest to reinstate the muff (like this vintage Balenciaga one).

30-10-2005
front row

The neatest thing I found about a great wool cape I mentioned earlier is that your arms end up near the rest of your body heat rather than encapsulated on their own in sleeves... much warmer.

11-11-2005
flaunt the imperfection

leather (blocks the wind) and cashmere(keeps the warmth in) and down(does both)...

layer with silk thermals...
thick wool hiking socks...
cashmere lined leather or shearling gloves...

11-11-2005
front row

This thread is helpful, as I grew up in Texas and don't know how to properly dress for the cold now that I've moved north!

11-11-2005
Swim Upstream

I tend to wear layers too and lots of thick scarves/gloves/boots

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter