How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-11-2005
front row

oh, yes, it's all coming back to me about dressing for cold weather.

shearling is lovely. i have a pair of shearling mittens. i can wear that and throw snowballs and still be warm!

keeping your trunk warm is essential, as my sister told me. i like thermals or silk underwear. i layer that under everything that i wear.

knee high socks. scarf. and always, a hat. and a wool coat that goes to the knees.

24-11-2005
backstage pass

i can't look all feminine in winter & don't understand how some gals can get away with thin blouses/wee cardigan/blazer (& stilettos when there's 6inches-1foot of snow)! Today is -17C w/ the wind + some accumulated snow & it's just the start o' winter.

For me, wool is a must!

Investing in a good WOOL ankle length coat with a hoodie that has a fur-edge is essential to keep head warm & snow/ice off your face. Hats don't cut it for me. My favourite such wool coat is getting threadbare & i couldn't find an exact replacement this year, so i bought a mid-calf length down/feather coat with said hoodie - which does keep me warm, but i much prefer my fab wool coat. Seems like down/feather is good until we get snow/rain/ice, then somehow the damp comes in & i get cold.

Other than that, i absolutely must:
- wear a long-sleeve undershirt (when colder i wear a thin turtleneck)
- min. 80% thick wool turtle-neck cardigan
- cords or wool pants (when colder, add skirt on top)
- wool socks
- or cotton socks if i'm wearing my new fab winter boots - which are shearling lined and weatherproof.
- gloves of course + scarf (fleece or wool).
- in bitter bite-your-face-off-cold, i wear a dork-band under my hoodie & wrap my scarf to cover my nose... so only my eyes are exposed... oooh sexxxy.

So - instead of looking feminine, i go for funky/sporty look. i'm originally from the Caribbean, been here 17yrs & my tolerance for cold has decreased over the years - a part of me dies every winter. i like snow and cold bright sunshiny days.. but give me 3months please, not 6months!

boo!

Last edited by gruveechik; 24-11-2005 at 07:59 AM.
25-11-2005
windowshopping

Well today was -15C, blustery and icy. I walked to the tube station from my apartment (about a 2 minute walk) and thought I was going to lose a finger or two. I have lived in this climate my entire life (Ontario, Canada), and I still can't figure out cold weather dressing. I guess my biggest problem is boots - what are WARM boots, that still look good??? Please help me, I am going boot shopping this weekend and really don't want to end up buying Uggs!

I am also thinking about investing in a pair or two of ear muffs - what do you think of those? I've seen people wearing headband-style ear warmers but I think they are very ugly! (no offence if any of you wear them, they just aren't for me!)

25-11-2005
living in the sprawl

SILK THERMAL UNDERWEAR!

lots of layers, a wool jacket, scarves, hats, gloves under mittens...

( i'm not excited to be walking all over this huge campus this winter! )

y-piece,
and tu
rned into a castle for some towering queen
25-11-2005
windowshopping

Hi everyone. This is my first post! Although i have been lurking for a while

Anyways, this is an excellent question as i always feel so drab in winter. I love feminine mini skirts and nice camis, so winter is definitely not my style. I'm also very tiny and feel like winter clothes just swarm me and make me look even tinier! Plus, i think the whole pants, jumper and jacket thing is pretty boring and i can't seem to make it look good.

These layering tips are great! For those of u that wear skirts in winter...do you always wear thick *black* tights with your skirt? I was actually thinking of getting a pink woolen mini skirt cos im more of a pink person than black...but i'm thinking black tights and a light pink mini wouldn't go too well. Any advice?

Im going to Europe for the first time ever in January! (mainly to croatia, but also Italy and maybe Germany) and i want to look good!! Not daggy in oversized jackets and pants I just don't think i look good in jackets sadly...i prefer cardigans, etc...but they aren't as warm as jackets.

Does anyone also maybe have pics of stylish winter outfits?

25-11-2005
trendsetter

that's what I wear to keep warm in winter:

*undershirts
*woolthights
*jeans
*knitted jumpers
*layers
*all kinds of hats
*scarfs
*a wool-cashmere mix coat with a hoodie
*when it's really cold I've got a wool hippie coat with fauxfur
*boots, boots, boots

btw.
what other shoes can I wear appart form boots?
I always end up wearing them.. (because of snow & cold)

backstage pass

Just implementing a detail in the Marc 05 winter look works perfect. Hosiery, colorful stockings and boots. They look great together..

A black peacoat or a military parka-like thick coat over it.

My latest obsession is huge checkered shawls...I make a triangle from a square shaped shawl and throw it over my coat.

And inside everything goes! Black armwarmers with black long sleeved tops... Striped tops/jumpers... Black bubble skirts... Black pencil skirts... wool jackets inside... short black dresses... and of course cashmere forever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marcbyMJ.JPG (70.6 KB, 11 views)

03-12-2005
V.I.P.

shruken sweater over a white button down
the north face rain jacket
cuffed jeans (the puddles of water during the rain season are crazy deep!)
wool socks
snow cap
black rubber rain boots

03-12-2005
backstage pass

I wear...

- Sweater
- Trousers
- Coat
- Cashmere socks
- Boots
- Scarf
- Hat
- Gloves

At night, I usually wear a stole or shawl.

03-12-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilight fairy
Try keeping warm in 20F (-6C) if you do not wear fur and you still want to look unfrumpy. Ukrainian winters are harsh.
LOL. Oooh -6'C. Haha. I live in Canada. It gets down to -35'C here.

04-12-2005
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi
LOL. Oooh -6'C. Haha. I live in Canada. It gets down to -35'C here.
Going up to Rexburg Idaho in January for School, 8 F Tomarrow, 11 today. Im in trouble, and I can't find warm cloths in So Cal.

05-12-2005
backstage pass

I live in Australia and have never really experienced temperatures below 0...anyway I will be going to Europe (france/italy) in Winter (dec/jan) and was wondering what is absolutely necessary to take. Despite reading this whole thread i am next to clueless...any suggestions?

05-12-2005
scenester

heres my advice for you if you are going on a trip - bring clothes that you can layer. If all you have are baggy clothes or something, they wont layer upon each other and everything will be bulky. Bring a few lighter things like thermal shirts to throw on underneath. This also allows you to adapt to warmer weather changes without bringing tons of clothes. If you are going to wear a skirt, make sure it has some coverage and pair it with warm stockings and boots. Also, as a few people mentioned previously, scarves and hats will keep you warm. Make sure you dont forget them.

05-12-2005
windowshopping

Im going to Europe in January and im from Australia too!! So i would love to know as well...because im clueless at how to dress for cold weather yet still achieve looking fashionable and not daggy

So far im planning on buying thermals to layer under sweaters/turtlenecks. I think its important to get clothes that are made of wool/cashmere or some really warm material so you need to do limited layering. When i was in NZ, i had a lot of jumpers (but cheapo ones made of 100% acrylic or something) and i had to layer like 6 layers and id still somehow feel cold. So try and layer clothes of a warm material.

I also really want to try and wear skirts, which i wearing so im just going to try and layer thick stockings....

Does anyone have any advice on particular clothing to wear that looks good, yet still keeps one warm? Like whole outfit suggestions?? I have such a limited wadrobe...and feel so daggy in winter! Also..what kind of hats look good? I think i look silly in beanies! But ill probably pick up a hat in europe anyhow...

05-12-2005
trendsetter

I layer mostly...but it can become a pain in New York. During the cold months I fell like I am always in and out of buildings, and always have to adjust. I feel as if I am taking off and putting back on scarves and jackets every 10 minutes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter