How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-12-2005
front row

I think hats and scarfs are miracle workers. I got a cute baret at Target (I got a gold and black one) and I get compliments everytime I wear them. It definatly adds spice to a dull, cold winter day.
Also, longjohns are essential for warmth! I'd probably die wihout them.

06-12-2005
backstage pass

Thankyou guys!!! I'm definately bringing my thermals to wear under my clothes, I think I'm going to buy a second pair. I'm going to invest in a good winter coat and start stocking up on hats and scarves tooo. Karma to all of you I really appreciate it. Would jeans be warm enough do you think?? Or should I be wearing tights underneath them

06-12-2005
front row

^When it gets really cold, I wear tights. Jeans aren't as warm as one might think!

06-12-2005
V.I.P.

I wear
Knee High Boots dark brown(w/ low heel)-With thick socks
( I have two pair- one for good weather, one for wet weather)
Under jeans
A sweater, with maybe a buttondown underneath
A long coat. I have a really cute one with faux fur around the collar and the sleeves. (it looks better than it sounds, I promise!)
a bright red cashmere scarf
some dark brown leather gloves

V.I.P.

parisian winter:
-coats with fur collars
-thick cashmere scarves and mufflers
-gloves or sometimes even a muff
-cashmere sweaters
-thin cotton long sleeved shirt for layering underneath
-jeans
-boots, and those that i can tuck my jeans into

06-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by keta
I guess my biggest problem is boots - what are WARM boots, that still look good??? Please help me, I am going boot shopping this weekend and really don't want to end up buying Uggs! I am also thinking about investing in a pair or two of ear muffs - what do you think of those? I've seen people wearing headband-style ear warmers but I think they are very ugly! (no offence if any of you wear them, they just aren't for me!)
- check out my recommendations for: La Canadienne Boots (Shearling lined 'Alice' to be exact) in the thread under Shoes, Shoes, Shoes "warm winter boots that aren't Uggs".

- have you tried using those ear warmers that wrap behind your head (so you don't have that icky line squishing your hair down) ? - they'll help keep your ears warm.

i'm in Toronto, so i know what you mean... today & yesterday i warned my friends that it's so cold it'd freeze one's nips off.

fashion elite

-always layer with one two cotton tee shirts under whatever im wearing
-cashmere sweaters
-thick knit cotton cardigans (which insulate much better than cashmere) OVER my sweaters
-thick cashmere or wool socks
-jeans
-leather or suede boots (jeans tucked)
-cashmere gloves, scarves, etc
-Y-3 fitted parka

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruveechik
- check out my recommendations for: La Canadienne Boots (Shearling lined 'Alice' to be exact) in the thread under Shoes, Shoes, Shoes "warm winter boots that aren't Uggs".

- have you tried using those ear warmers that wrap behind your head (so you don't have that icky line squishing your hair down) ? - they'll help keep your ears warm.

i'm in Toronto, so i know what you mean... today & yesterday i warned my friends that it's so cold it'd freeze one's nips off.
ear warmers that wrap behind your head? what are these? do you know where to get them here? Thanks so much!

This is my first winter in Toronto + my first winter without a car ... so I am extra freezing waiting for the TTC!

06-12-2005
backstage pass

- those ear-warmers that wrap around the back of your head are available almost anywhere downtown. i even found them at my dollar discount at Yonge & Davisville. i got the 2nd last pair today... but they always get more in. ermm... sometimes luggage stores have them.

- oh honey - i feel for you TTC'ing - especially w/ the new useless bus-shelters. i'm sans wheels as well.

... But honestly - invest in shearling-lined boots and you'll manage - as long as you keep your head covered and wear a coat down to your knees at least. i'm wearing all of this and i can still walk to and from work ... 20minutes each way. i've been in TO for 17 years & have never felt this warm - all b/c i wear these boots!

If you can't get the La Canadienne boots, try EMU boots you can get them right now at The Shoe Company. They're $100 now and have good grips underneath (ie. better grips than Uggs). You'll have to seriously treat the shoe-section though... so it withstands the wet.

V.I.P.

Me, but it rarely gets below freezing here so keep that in mind

- silk, modal or cotton underlayer (tank or l/s t depending on how cold...)
- cashmere or ltweight wool sweater
- jeans/trousers or skirts w/ tights
- boots or closed in pump/flat
- silk or cashmere scarf
- leather/cashmere gloves
- 3/4 length coat

And... in extreme cases, a knit cap

06-12-2005
backstage pass

^ in extreme cases - a knit cap?!
boo! i'm totally jealous!

V.I.P.

An alternative to the boots over jeans thing is legwarmers over skinny trousers (with tights underneath) I wear flats or ankle boots with them. A more interesting alternative which also keeps you warm.

I think legwarmers are v. underrated....I think if they're of good quality and quite long (more slouch), they make excellent winter attire! I get mine from ballet shops.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
06-12-2005
backstage pass

^ totally! lurve leg warmers... especially if they're wide & long enough to wear from mid-thigh to mid-calf. sure beats wearing long-johns which make me feel like a frumpy & bloated chickadee.

scenester

I live in Canada and in my area.. it was down to -23C today.. (about -9.4F)now that is chillyyyyy!!

I have my "winter coat" (which I wish I didn't have to wear) but accessorizing always helps.. a fashionable scarf.. some gloves.. and maybe some boots.. MMM!! remember* you don't want to slip and make a fool of yourself, stay away from slippery soles!

It shouldn't be that hard to find something that is stylish and keeps you warm at the same time. however, I don't think skirts are always the way to go.

I would suggest a trouser or a skirt with extra warm tights =).. and a cashmere cardigan

The best suggestion I can make is stay away from the cold! Stay inside.. or if if it's imperative that you have to leave the house - grab a hot coffee and you're good to go!

06-12-2005
front row

OH MAN! ny is the coldest, place EVER.
A Parka from Columbia
A Chunky nit scraft (thanks Grams)
An Incredibles hat I got @ a premire (yes I am aware I should invest in a new one.)
and Prada mitts!! what a splurge!!
-When it comes to cold weather folks, forget about how you look; honestly no one gives a crap when they can't feel their own nose, hands, feet....etc.
So dress appropriately and grab a Starbucks HotChoc on the way.
Geez it's nippy out there.

Last edited by SuperWoman; 06-12-2005 at 09:09 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
cold, dressing, weather, winter