How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-07-2008
Just keep running...

Sidney, my God, they're gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They look way older than a year, too.. how and when did you wash them to get such sharp contrast? Super hot water?

16-08-2008
Just keep running...

Hey, I got all my new jeans, and they're awesome! The Tight Long Johns in Dry Black Coat are fantastic.

And now I have on the way.....

Tight Long Johns in Dry GREY Coat!!!! Dry Grey, whodathunkit? I've seen mens' jeans in this colour and they look fantastic, a deep smooth charcoal with of course the shine that comes with the 'Coat' jeans.. they should be arriving any day now, can't wait!!!

11-02-2009
front row

This is a major bump, but I need some help!

I snagged a pair of Calvin Klein skinny jeans at a sample sale in New York that I was under the assumption were raw. I have a pair of nudies, so I thought I'd be breaking both in.

However, I recently did laundry and my Calvin "raws" were accidentally tossed into the mix. I was distraught until I realized they didn't fade like my nudies would have. Is it possible they're not raw?

11-02-2009
Soviet Camaro

Not all raw jeans fade the same... if they are dark denim that look raw, they may be one-wash or "rinsed", but that alone does not change the fading characteristics; it has more to do with the fabric, the dye and the dyeing process.

front row

Question about Nudies... Is it possible to take in a pair from size 36 to size 31 (mens)?? They were straight cut... but it's now huge and baggy!!

12-02-2009
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
Not all raw jeans fade the same... if they are dark denim that look raw, they may be one-wash or "rinsed", but that alone does not change the fading characteristics; it has more to do with the fabric, the dye and the dyeing process.
Do you suggest to continue with the wearing process? Thanks so much for answering, by the way!

12-02-2009
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doutzen View Post
Do you suggest to continue with the wearing process? Thanks so much for answering, by the way!
You're welcome. Yes, if you like the jeans, wear them! They will most likely not develop the same wear characteristics as Nudies (which are purposely made to fade quickly and dramatically), but any decent jeans will only get better with wear.

@ [vogue]: 36 to 31 would be a drastic alteration, I doubt that is going to be satisfactory!

scenester

Last edited by 89-19-08; 13-09-2009 at 04:37 AM.
15-09-2009
front row

^Awesome pair, 89-10-08! I have a pair of J. Lindeberg raw jeans that I'm working on. Does anyone have a recommendation on how long it might take to wear them in before washing?

15-09-2009
rising star

^ wash them when they get dirty.

16-09-2009
scenester

If you really want to get into the whole raw denim thing, youŽd wear them like forever… most people wear their at least for one year to get those fading.

But at the end the fading depends a lot on the denim your jeans is made of.

Maybe you can find some information you are looking for on:
http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...splay.php?f=15
http://www.mynudies.com

front row

APC New and Petit Standard for Girls
The boys in my life seem to have this all figured out, but I thought I'd bump this thread a little for the ladies.

A little background: APC makes men and women's jeans but their raw denim is unisex only. In terms of sizing, Rue de Fleurus runs some pretty insane vanity sizing. If you're going for a classic skinny look, you should size down 2 full sizes from your tape-measured-waist. If your natural waist is a 26, you should be scooting into a size 24 pair of APCs.

The boy whose APCs I'm copying keeps a richly creased, baby-blue-from-wear pair of APC New Standards. It's an effortless cut, straight, nothing crass on the pockets. NS doesn't exist in my size but I bought them in a 24, which is as small as APCs run. It's a beautiful jean, I've worn them on and off for a year and the denim has worn soft, the blue-gray fade is just starting to show. I wore them unhemmed for a few weeks to let the initial creases set in then had them resized: hemmed slightly, legs cut and resized slimmer. Even rebuilt, they're just too big to take any real rotation in my jeans life.

I finally stopped into an actual shop and asked for advice -- the boys led me true with this description: Petit Standards are basically New Standards from the waist to knee and New Cure from the knee down.

I just got them in the mail and love them. They're also a 24, unhemmed and a perfect fit. It's such a Sofia Coppola, grown-up gamine in jeans look. Pics below.

Rule of thumb: if you can button all 4 buttons on the first try, they're going to stretch too wide in the next year or so of wear. Sleep in them for a night or two and you'll be fine by the end of the week. Wear them every day / don't wash them for that perfectly aged look.

The shopboy with the perfect fade at the APC Soho shop is "so over girls in skinny jeans" -- maybe he is right, I should just wear camel colored harems from OAK every day. I've kept my New Standards for Sunday mornings and harried days at work. Another option is to turn them in at the Soho store as Rescues and receive 50% off of an APC denim purchase. Hopefully the Petits will age as gracefully as SidneyLo's.

I've seen great photos of men in other raw brands but the fit for women issue has been so perplexing that I've only felt comfortable messing around with APC's price point.

For more info, read the threads on the guy forums:

Styleforum - APC: The Official Thread for APC Questions

Hope this was helpful. It was happy procrastination from cleaning out my closet, laughs.

28-04-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by czilla View Post
The boys in my life seem to have this all figured out, but I thought I'd bump this thread a little for the ladies.

A little background: APC makes men and women's jeans but their raw denim is unisex only. In terms of sizing, Rue de Fleurus runs some pretty insane vanity sizing. If you're going for a classic skinny look, you should size down 2 full sizes from your tape-measured-waist. If your natural waist is a 26, you should be scooting into a size 24 pair of APCs.

The boy whose APCs I'm copying keeps a richly creased, baby-blue-from-wear pair of APC New Standards. It's an effortless cut, straight, nothing crass on the pockets. NS doesn't exist in my size but I bought them in a 24, which is as small as APCs run. It's a beautiful jean, I've worn them on and off for a year and the denim has worn soft, the blue-gray fade is just starting to show. I wore them unhemmed for a few weeks to let the initial creases set in then had them resized: hemmed slightly, legs cut and resized slimmer. Even rebuilt, they're just too big to take any real rotation in my jeans life.

I finally stopped into an actual shop and asked for advice -- the boys led me true with this description: Petit Standards are basically New Standards from the waist to knee and New Cure from the knee down.

I just got them in the mail and love them. They're also a 24, unhemmed and a perfect fit. It's such a Sofia Coppola, grown-up gamine in jeans look. Pics below.

Rule of thumb: if you can button all 4 buttons on the first try, they're going to stretch too wide in the next year or so of wear. Sleep in them for a night or two and you'll be fine by the end of the week. Wear them every day / don't wash them for that perfectly aged look.

The shopboy with the perfect fade at the APC Soho shop is "so over girls in skinny jeans" -- maybe he is right, I should just wear camel colored harems from OAK every day. I've kept my New Standards for Sunday mornings and harried days at work. Another option is to turn them in at the Soho store as Rescues and receive 50% off of an APC denim purchase. Hopefully the Petits will age as gracefully as SidneyLo's.

I've seen great photos of men in other raw brands but the fit for women issue has been so perplexing that I've only felt comfortable messing around with APC's price point.

For more info, read the threads on the guy forums:

Styleforum - APC: The Official Thread for APC Questions

Hope this was helpful. It was happy procrastination from cleaning out my closet, laughs.
i have the same ones as you--same size too! have had them for a few years now, and they haven't stretched out too much. just make sure not to wash them too soon. i washed mine after a month and i totally regret it.

Last edited by Petit Lucille; 02-05-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Please, don't quote pictures.
28-04-2011
backstage pass

So I have a question ... do any owners of raw, unwashed denim actually wish to *maintain* the unwashed look? I have these semi wide leg jeans from Acne that are unwashed, and I love the look. It gives the jeans a trouser-ish, dressed up feel that I feel like it wouldn't have if it were faded and whiskered. Is there any way to maintain the new look, or will all raw denim eventually start to develop the fading? The care instructions say to wear for months and then dry clean, but from what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like natural wear will result in fading.

These are the jeans:

(lagarconne.com)

29-04-2011
scenester

I have a pair of Petit Standards too, sz 30 (which is my normal size). I regret I didn't size her down but it's not like she's baggy or anything. She's smooth.

We've been through a lot in recent times. I've spilled ice cream on her and chilli sauce. We've had our disagreements from time to time. We've been separated on a couple of occasions but she has always stayed true to me - even when I cheated on her with other jeans. No matter what, she always stayed. I always went back to her. I've taken her to the beach, drowned her and then gave her a nice relaxing message with sand. She looks so fabulous now and I'm sure she'll age really good. She's like mahogany - she'll age with perfection.

I love you Lucy

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denim, dry or raw, nudiephile, thread