How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-05-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist10 View Post
So I have a question ... do any owners of raw, unwashed denim actually wish to *maintain* the unwashed look? I have these semi wide leg jeans from Acne that are unwashed, and I love the look. It gives the jeans a trouser-ish, dressed up feel that I feel like it wouldn't have if it were faded and whiskered. Is there any way to maintain the new look, or will all raw denim eventually start to develop the fading? The care instructions say to wear for months and then dry clean, but from what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like natural wear will result in fading.
hey tourist, are those acne tubes? they're super cute. anyway, for that fit i would dry clean them to maintain the look. but if they were more fitted jeans i think it would be near impossible not to wear them in.

10-05-2011
backstage pass

porkchopgirl - yes, those are the Acne Tubes! Thanks for the advice. I think I will stick with dry cleaning then. I suspect that they will inevitably whisker at the hip area, but it sounds like it's just something I have to accept!

18-05-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist10 View Post
So I have a question ... do any owners of raw, unwashed denim actually wish to *maintain* the unwashed look? I have these semi wide leg jeans from Acne that are unwashed, and I love the look. It gives the jeans a trouser-ish, dressed up feel that I feel like it wouldn't have if it were faded and whiskered. Is there any way to maintain the new look, or will all raw denim eventually start to develop the fading? The care instructions say to wear for months and then dry clean, but from what I'm reading in this thread, it sounds like natural wear will result in fading.
your best bet is to wash/soak them shortly after buying - and then wash them on a fairly regular basis after that - and that'll likely slow down the fading process, and help hold the colour they're at right now. The trade off is that the denim fabric will become a bit softer and more pliable and lose that rigidity and stiffness that raw denim is known for. I imagine they will fade eventually though, depending on how you wear them, but it will take a lot longer.

And as was mentioned earlier, if you're wearing APC (and I know you're not but it might be worth keeping in mind) they have a 'Butler' service which was seemingly designed with this issue in mind. You can take your worn pair of jeans to an APC shop which they put up for resale and they will give you credit to your next pair of jeans. I probably wouldn't buy second hand jeans like that but hey, the option's there I guess.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
denim, dry or raw, nudiephile, thread