How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2005
Proponent of Plaid

The Emperor's New Clothes
I expect most of us are familiar with the old tale of the vain and clothing-obsessed emperor who got hoodwinked by a tailor who sold him his own "birthday suit," and sent him forth amongst his people butt-nekked, only to be brought down to reality by some little kid who didn't pretend that the naked king was gorgeously attired, but wondered why he was running around nude.

Well, sometimes I get to thinking the fashion industry is working a similar swindle on modern-day fashion enthusiasts, trying to see how far they can push the limits of ridiculousness, lack of function, and general crimes against aesthetic sensibility before some kid in the crowd points out that today's emperors of fashion are metaphorically without clothes.

I'm thinking about the "hobo/boho-chic" thread, Marc Jacobs' latest efforts, UGGS, Juicy, and many other cynical offerings that seem to me little more than a money-grab targeted at consumers who will snap up whatever the tricky tailor tells them is the height of fashion, whether or not it has any actual merit of design, style, or functionality. So many people will happily go around looking like complete dupes because InStyle says it's cool, or Vogue dubs it this season's "must have."

So tell me, does anyone else sometimes feel that many of the designers, as well as the pundits and promoters of fashion are just pulling the collective leg of fashionistas everywhere? Do you see a good reason to shell out hundreds, even thousands of dollars on something that looks like a painting contractor's overalls which met a sad end with a cranky badger (Galliano's latest inspiration, of course)? Do you ever suspect that Heatherette is just an enormous in-joke, or that Andre Leon Talley is laughing up his sleeve?

How much should we take Fashion at its face value, and do you think its face value matches its price tags?

18-03-2005
front row

I've never really thought about it that deeply as i don't really feel the need to buy things because they're just fashionable,however i do think you have a really good point from some of the things we see coming in and out of fashion!I wonder when the nudist trend shall begin then?!

flaunt the imperfection

well...considering how long that story has been around...
i'd say it's been going on for quite some time...and isn't just a present-day phenomenon...

and i do think that heatherette are laughing along with us and that andre leon talley has a sense of humour about things...and i think marc jacobs is laughing all the way to the bank...

but at the same time there are designers like the as four team and imitation of christ that i think are doing basically the same kind of ridiculous and unwearable stuff who take themselves incredibly seriously and expect others to do the same...

i'd say it's a mixed bag...
besides...one person's rags are another person's riches...
it's all in the eye of the beholder......

18-03-2005
barcode

You bring up a good point AYLI, and I'd have to say that many people do rely strictly on the word of the "fashion folk". For instance, a lot of the girls in my high school had so many of the trendy it items like Uggs and multicolor Louis Vuitton bags (real or fake aside, they still followed the trend). I think that there are plenty of people who may seem like followers simply listening to Vogues preaches who really do like something regardless of it's status and just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time so to speak. But unfortunately, as experience has shown me, more people are just ready to listen instead of question. I think in a way that's what seperates the truly fashionable people from those simply following fashion, fashionable people are the one's finding the next new thing while the followers are those that, well.....follow.

18-03-2005
V.I.P.

^ spike!

18-03-2005
flaunt the imperfection

i refer to the blind followers of fashion trends and the fashion media as
'THE CULT OF FASHIONALITY'...

18-03-2005
V.I.P.

^ and it's very true, soft..

18-03-2005
barcode

So true softgrey, so true.

23-07-2008
Power to the 99%

I think the Marc Jacobs collection in stores this past spring qualifies for an award in this category

06-04-2009
Power to the 99%

This season the emperor seems to be wearing fur trim

08-04-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by As You Like It View Post
...cynical offerings that seem to me little more than a money-grab targeted at consumers who will snap up whatever the tricky tailor tells them is the height of fashion, whether or not it has any actual merit of design, style, or functionality. So many people will happily go around looking like complete dupes because InStyle says it's cool, or Vogue dubs it this season's "must have."
I like to think of this phenomenon as "Fashion Beer Goggles". Or "Balmain Beer Goggles" as of late, *hides under desk*.

Psychology studies have shown that when you view an image of a person and hear or read that they are rated as very attractive, you are likely to rate them as much, and describe them in a flattering light. Yet if you look at the same image, but the person is rated as moderately attractive or even plain, you usually rate them similarly, and describe more flaws. Interestingly, the studies suggest that this effect is mostly subconscious and unintentional; not deliberate, as in wanting to fit in with the opinions of the majority.

I'm quite sure this exact thing goes on in fashion (and the arts in general). Certain clothes and trends are cloaked in praise, and are thus revered with little scrutiny or critical assessment. Much like the Emperor and his cohorts, it can be extremely stupid. The problem is, with all the subjective opinions of what (and who) makes good fashion floating about, how do you separate the naked Emperor from a fully-clothed one?

...I'm going to throw out that last question for now, to weather myself from any indignant responses by Balmain enthusiasts first.:p

08-04-2009
Noblesse oblige

Taste is different. There are certainly items which I find pointless etc. but if other people like them it is fine with me. I am rather suspicious about the more and more fancy ways of selling: limited editions, expensive wrappings and interiors in the shops. That is definitely a way of raising the prices without improving the quality.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
clothes, emperor